Old 16 June 2009, 17:25   #1

Town: Mobile
Boat name: Squid Roe
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Suzuki DT55 Low oil/water pressure

Hello all! I am new to this site and I'm glad I found it.
My engine won't allow me to get on a plane. With my throttle set to full, I can only achieve about 1/4 speed. The RPM gauge goes above 3000 so I don't suspect anything being in cutback mode.But here are the symptoms I see that are not normal. Water flow from the tell tale is low and the oil pressure is almost non existent. I normally see around 10PSI but now the gauge barely moves. My question is, is there a common point of failure that could cause this combination of symptoms? My water pump was replaced about two seasons ago. I am ordering one today just because. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 16 June 2009, 18:32   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Oil pressure? It's a 2 stroke-it doesn't have oil pressure. What do you mean?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2009, 18:49   #3

PSI gauge

You're right. I found out that I have low water pressure only. My PSI gauge used to read about 10 PSI while I was running. Now it barely moves. I also don't have very good flow from my tell tale spigot.
Old 16 June 2009, 21:29   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaseeker View Post
You're right. I found out that I have low water pressure only. My PSI gauge used to read about 10 PSI while I was running. Now it barely moves. I also don't have very good flow from my tell tale spigot.
Quote:
My water pump was replaced about two seasons ago. I am ordering one today just because.
many people suggest this should be replaced every year, and certainly most people would do it every two years.

Given the symptoms I wouldn't use it until the impeller was replaced, as its not going to get any better and overheating can be catastrophic.
Old 16 June 2009, 21:39   #5

Suzuki DT-55

I know. I lost a 140 Evinrude to the exact same symptom about three or four years ago. I forgot all about that. That engine did exactly the same thing. But I'm just surprised they didn't incorporate some type of warning system other that power loss (like a buzzer or something).
Old 16 June 2009, 21:48   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
But I'm just surprised they didn't incorporate some type of warning system other that power loss (like a buzzer or something).
on smaller 2str engines buzzers are normally only for overheat and oil tank level. if its not actually overheating yet you won't get a buzzer - unless there is a fault with the buzzer
Old 16 June 2009, 22:07   #7

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
.. I'm just surprised they didn't incorporate some type of warning system other that power loss (like a buzzer or something).
DT55 usually has a 'Water' warning system, activated by a float switch in the cylinder head, but yours may have been removed if it has a water pressure gauge? When the water jacket fills, this float rises and switches off the warning light and buzzer. If this system is working ok, then the red 'water' light in the monitor gauge will show and the buzzer will sound when the ignition is switched on, but the engine not running. Lower than normal water pressure would be acceptable to this system, if there is sufficient flow/pressure to fill the block/head and activate the float switch. If the pressure/flow is insufficient and the float switch activates, then the motor will go into 'guardian' mode and restrict itself to around 3000RPM.

BTW, sounds like your impeller needs changing
Old 17 June 2009, 05:05   #8

[QUOTE=BTW, sounds like your impeller needs changing [/QUOTE]

Thanks, I have the kit on order already. But what you said about the 3000 RPM's is bothering me. It still goes to about 4000 or so now. Just no speed. So I doubt that she is in "guardian" mode.
Old 17 June 2009, 15:34   #9

Town: Oakland CA
Kept in the water? Or on a trailer/dry stack? Any growth on the hull?

Is the bilge full of water?

Is there a bunch of growth on the prop?

Has a critter nested in the air intake?

Lots of things could theoretically cause a reduced RPM and subsequent loss of speed.

jky
Old 17 June 2009, 15:41   #10

Dt 55

No, I keep it on a trailer. No water in bilge, no growth on prop. I will check for maybe a wasp nest in the intake but I doubt it. I still hope that after I change toe water pump the problem goes away. Thanks for all of the input people. This site is great!
Old 18 June 2009, 23:22   #11

Boat name: Bullfrog
Make: DSB - Osprey
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 55
Hi,
I also have a DT55.
I've had my wee engine for a few years now - when I bought it the guy said he'd replaced the impeller recently but after a couple of short trips she cut into guardian mode while we were at sea , I also noticed that the tell-tail was VERY weak.
Replacing the impeller worked a treat! I also spent some time cleaning the water intakes and found all kinds of crap (This engine/rib was always kept on trailer in drive and covered). The very weak tell-tale was down to a blocked pipe - The pipe from the head was blocked solid! Even the water pump was very dirty.
After spending some time cleaning her out she then ran like new!

I think you may have the same sort of problems! Obviously the low water pressure is caused by restricted water flow???
Replace the impeller and give her a good cleaning!