Old 31 July 2011, 09:51   #1

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Fiona
Make: Avon SR
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 90AETO
suzuki dt28 not sparking

Hi I'm looking for some help with this suzuki. I've checked over the wiring, on off switch and neutral switch and all seems to be in good order.
What tests can I do on the cdi, mag, coil and reg/rec? I've got a pretty simple multimeter
Thanks for any help
Dan
Old 01 August 2011, 09:24   #2

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Is it not sparking at all on all cyls? That could imply either a short or a loose earth somewhere. If it's just one that isn't playing, you can use a "swap one component & see if the problem follows" approach. Also how did it happen? Sudden or a gradual decline in performance?

Checking HT leads & plugs with a multimeter is almost pointless. If you happen to know a spark, ask to borrow their megger - I proved this on my Merc where my multimeter said insulation was fine, then meggered it all & 2/3 plugs were shorting, (like 700 odd ohms insulation resistance as opposed to a few tens of Megohm). Insulation that works fine at the 1.5-ish V of a multimeter will break down remarkably quickly when you show it a couple of thousand volts at high frequency!

The 28 is a 2 cyl? I have a spare CDi from an early 3 pot 25/30 if it turns out that is what's gubbed, but I have the feeling it has too many cyls!
Old 01 August 2011, 15:41   #3

Thanks a lot for the reply.
It's not sparking on any of the cylinders. Your correct, it is the 2 cylinder.
Im also a bit worried about the compression. Seems a little on the low side. 110 on one and 120 on the other. Any idea what it should be?
Thanks
Dan
Old 02 August 2011, 13:52   #4

You have tried new plugs?

If not, the next cheap check is to go round all the connectors (esp. the earth / ignition ones), pull them apart, squirt with your favoutrite water dispersing spray, and either open the bullets up slightly with a small screwdriver or squash the recepticales slightly with pliers to make sure they have a good contact and give each one a good tug to make sure it's still firmly connected to it's wire. Any with corrosion, clean thoroughly.

Next stop is probably a recoil starter-ectomy & see if you can get in to check this lot http://store.brownspoint.com/pdf/DT2...T28(80-82).pdf (page 13 of the PDF) and see if anything has come adrift / fried in there. Looking at the Ignition coil etc, are those cables integral to the coil unit? Those multi- part plug caps look like another potential failure location to me!

No idea on the theoretical comp on those engines - but that's almost a 9% difference. It's premix, so in theory both cyls have similar oil content. Right now it's a bit irrelevant without the spark! If you can get a replacement gasket, pulling the exhaust cover off will give you a basic visual of the state of a section of the pistons & rings. The damage on a 2- stroke is mosre likely on the exhaust side.

If you are totally stuck, I have a DT25 (or 30) of the 1993-> version (3 pot, auto mixing longshaft) which I am now happy enough with the Merc's running to sell. But I bet making yours go again is doable and probably cheaper.
Old 02 August 2011, 21:07   #5

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF30
Welcome to the mystery DT28 club m8. It seems like information on them is like rocking horse poo! I've got one to rewire at the moment and a lot of it's going to be educated guess work. Unless someone here has a wiring diagram that they could spare, hint, hint. I can check anything on mine that you might need, but until I wire it, I don't know if it's a runner either.

free
Old 03 August 2011, 08:48   #6

I'll see how far back my Clymer goes. I have the nagging feeling it's 1993 tho'...
Old 04 August 2011, 16:34   #7

Thanks for the help so far. I'll hopefully get the chance to look at it again this weekend if the weather brightens up.
Thanks Dan
Old 01 January 2016, 09:47   #8

Length: 9m +
DT28 Wiring

Hello, I know this is a "long-shot" as this is a very old post.
Did you ever get wiring diagrams for the DT28?
I have had my starter panel with ignition switch stolen from my boat.

I have diagrams for the DT25 & DT30, but these do not match my DT28

Any help would be most appreciated

__________________________________________________ _____

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
Welcome to the mystery DT28 club m8. It seems like information on them is like rocking horse poo! I've got one to rewire at the moment and a lot of it's going to be educated guess work. Unless someone here has a wiring diagram that they could spare, hint, hint. I can check anything on mine that you might need, but until I wire it, I don't know if it's a runner either.

free
Old 01 January 2016, 10:08   #9

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Not sure if this is any use?

Click on electrical sections: 1982 DT28Z Suzuki Outboard Parts

Alternatively, make an offer on this: 1981 Suzuki Outboard Motor DT20 DT25 DT28 Series Service Manual Factory OEM Deal | eBay
Old 07 January 2016, 21:39   #10

Town: WAterford
Boat name: na
Make: Rimini
Engine: dt85
Hey guys looking at picking one of these up for about 400 seems to be in pretty decent nick. Anything I should look out for with these particular models? Do you guys find parts really hard to come by?