Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 July 2009, 04:47   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Taunton
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 35
Suzuki DF90 (155kg) vs Tohatsu TLDI 90 (145kg)

Hi - Been reading the Tohatsu 90 vs Etec thread with interest as had been considering the same engines. Getting a 5m rib and had discounted 4-strokes as were generally at least 40kgs heavier. However just seen Suzuki have a new 90hp 4stroke that only weighs 155kg and can probably get it for 1k more than the Tohatsu.

Has anyone heard anything about these new suzuki engines? Assume a 2 stroke will have better torque but the Suzuki is meant to have excellent economy. Residuals on the Suzuki and parts availability etc should be much better than with the Tohatsu?

Cheers.
__________________

__________________
Chatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2009, 04:48   #2
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
You can buy alot of fuel for a grand though!
__________________

__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2009, 06:21   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
A Grand don't come for Free. But it doesn't buy the petrol it used to either. These guys used a pair of DF90s, they seemed to have no problem getting on the plane!

http://www.redbayboats.com/news/newb...uki%20Boat.htm

__________________
willk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04 July 2009, 09:18   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Tough choice but the new Suzuki is supposed to be really good.

It is even better on fuel than the old 90 - it is only a touch heavier than the 90tldi - it has 4 cylinders instead of 3 - it has more cc.

I think it would come down to dealers in your area and warrenty etc.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2009, 09:26   #5
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
A Grand don't come for Free. But it doesn't buy the petrol it used to either. These guys used a pair of DF90s, they seemed to have no problem getting on the plane!

http://www.redbayboats.com/news/newb...uki%20Boat.htm

I love that Redbay, saw the write up in RIB Intl a couple of issues ago and it looks fantastic
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2009, 13:02   #6
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatts View Post
Hi - Been reading the Tohatsu 90 vs Etec thread with interest as had been considering the same engines. Getting a 5m rib and had discounted 4-strokes as were generally at least 40kgs heavier. However just seen Suzuki have a new 90hp 4stroke that only weighs 155kg and can probably get it for 1k more than the Tohatsu.

Has anyone heard anything about these new suzuki engines? Assume a 2 stroke will have better torque but the Suzuki is meant to have excellent economy. Residuals on the Suzuki and parts availability etc should be much better than with the Tohatsu?

Cheers.
It is not just the purchase cost vs fuel consumption, there are the servicing and maint. costs too. The Tohatsu is a very good motor on that score, but they are something of a blunt instrument.

Are you going to use said engine a lot and can you afford the extra purchase price without too much belt tightening? If the answer to both is yes then go with the Suzi, if the answer to either is no then go Tohatsu. IMHO etc etc
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2009, 13:43   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Taunton
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 35
i'm really just after long term reliability and durability. Will be using the boat at weekends for fishing and skiing and planning to keep it for a long time so will pay a bit extra if it will mean less problems long term. Do you think the tohatsu might be more reliable with it being in production for quite a few years now vs the 1yr? old suzuki?
__________________
Chatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2009, 16:11   #8
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatts View Post
Has anyone heard anything about these new suzuki engines?
We have the 2009 1500cc Suzuki DF90 on our Ribcraft 5.3.

See HERE for the performance/fuel consumption data to date.

Data source is GPS mileage/time and amount of fuel used to bring tank back up to full when refuelling. They're real figures, therefore, not estimates.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2009, 17:05   #9
Member
 
Channel Ribs's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Alderney
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leapy View Post
We have the 2009 1500cc Suzuki DF90 on our Ribcraft 5.3.

See HERE for the performance/fuel consumption data to date.

Data source is GPS mileage/time and amount of fuel used to bring tank back up to full when refuelling. They're real figures, therefore, not estimates.

Hope this helps.
Do my eyes play tricks? 1/2 a liter per nautical mile?
__________________
Channel Ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2009, 17:52   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
A Grand don't come for Free..........

..It does if Everything is Borrowed.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.