Old 22 March 2016, 16:52   #1

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Suzuki DF20AS EFI - Impressions and review.

It's seemed a while but actually only 4wks from order to my collection today... but very pleased to see this at last...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boxed.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	111407  

Old 22 March 2016, 16:57   #2

Thought I'd start a new thread on initial impressions and then an on the water review as times goes. It'll be warts and all... I'm sure there will be at least some warts.

In the meantime a really chunky handbook that looked a week of reading turned out to be 13 languages so just 54 pages for me.

The toolkit reminded me of what my dad called the lead tools that came with my Honda 125 bike in the 70s. Nice to see it has a "don't need the engine running" flush plug with a hose adaptor supplied... my first outboard with this useful feature.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Manual.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	111408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tools.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	111409  

Old 22 March 2016, 17:08   #3

Initial impressions loading in/out of the car and onto our trolley is..... manageable. At 60yrs old this summer I've started to look after my back a little more and will only take the weight of this motor for a few seconds a time between car/trolley/SIB. Doing this the 44kg over the 36kg of my Mercury 15 2-stroke is OK... but would be noticeable if carrying for longer distances. There are less strong & angular places to lift/hold the Suzuki as there is a lot of ABS plastic fairing at the top of the leg so you have to be doubly sure it doesn't slip from your hands.

Looking at one image you might think I've been missold a 15hp. On collection my 20hp had a 2" crack in the cowl and the dealer offered to swap it for a perfect one on a 15hp in the shop then post on a 20hp sticker for me. These things happen... no big deal.

One thing I noticed clamping it to my existing trolley... the clamp screws are short compared with the Mercury so wouldn't clamp to the trolley timber and an extra pad was needed. I wonder if this would be an issue with a thin transom like the Zodiac Cadet/Fastroller range so needing a thicker pad on the boat?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DF20AS.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	111410   Click image for larger version

Name:	15HP !.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	111411  
Old 22 March 2016, 17:20   #4

Last pics for tonight... of under the hood... quite Japanese car like and all laid out in a logical way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Underhood1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	111415   Click image for larger version

Name:	UNderhood2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	111416  
Old 22 March 2016, 18:54   #5

Couple of snippets...

I see in the handbook it says when transporting the engine as well as laying it on the correct side you should drain the petrol from the "fuel vapour separator" with the hose already fitted for that purpose. Anyone bother to do this?

Pleased to see the dealer has swapped the 12" pitch prop this motor came with to the 11" I requested. I always buy a spare prop so will see once run in if the 11" is perfect to decide on another the same vs pitching down to 10" for heavier loads.

Might give it a couple of laps round the garden tub tomorrow to hear it running and do the initial 15min idle speed break in procedure...
Old 23 March 2016, 03:13   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Couple of snippets...

I see in the handbook it says when transporting the engine as well as laying it on the correct side you should drain the petrol from the "fuel vapour separator" with the hose already fitted for that purpose. Anyone bother to do this?

Pleased to see the dealer has swapped the 12" pitch prop this motor came with to the 11" I requested. I always buy a spare prop so will see once run in if the 11" is perfect to decide on another the same vs pitching down to 10" for heavier loads.

Might give it a couple of laps round the garden tub tomorrow to hear it running and do the initial 15min idle speed break in procedure...
looking good David

i didn't drain mine when transporting from Portsmouth but i would lay her down on some cardboard just to make sure before you put her in your car.

transom wise i didn't need any extra packing the screws are well up though
might be some difference between the two engines though
cheers
Old 23 March 2016, 04:13   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
It's a big move for you David after all those years of 2-smokes, will be really interested to see what you think once it is run in.

I crave more power sometimes, might just get a cheap 25 or 30 (I know... ) if I can to try one sometimes alongside the 15.
Old 23 March 2016, 05:37   #8

>>>It's a big move for you... be really interested to see what you think once it is run in.

Yep you're right Max... from possibility to reality has moved forward smoothly... but the proof will be in use on the water.

I'm very lucky in having a supportive Mrs Fenlander. I was commenting to the buyer of the Mercury 15hp that I was just perusing some threads and the Suzuki website about this 20hp some weeks back commenting to her as she looked at the screen "Suzuki have done well, they've got the 20hp down to a manageble weight"... and she said "Well let's get one then".

I did a bit of fake "it's fine...we're OK with the old 15hp" for a very short while not wanting to take advantage but soon gave in... ha ha!

>>>I crave more power sometimes, might just get a cheap 25 or 30...

After our holiday trials last year which cemented the Aerotec decision I did wonder similar... a clean 25hp short shaft 2-stroke will often fetch less than a 15hp which made the finances doable. But then by chance the Suzuki idea somewhat overtook that thought.
Old 23 March 2016, 06:00   #9

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Looking forward to hear about your outboard investment Fenlander. I took a leaf out your book and bought a new boat to supplement my retirement fleet.. should last me a lifetime and will supplement the Quicksilver 4.3 nicely. I might think about an outboard later in the season too.
Old 23 March 2016, 06:56   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post

>>>I crave more power sometimes, might just get a cheap 25 or 30...

After our holiday trials last year which cemented the Aerotec decision I did wonder similar... a clean 25hp short shaft 2-stroke will often fetch less than a 15hp which made the finances doable. But then by chance the Suzuki idea somewhat overtook that thought.
Yes, that's the thing - a 25 or 30 can be picked up pretty cheap and it would be useful for the times we use a slipway where weight is no bother (compared to the south coast short, sharp, shingle beaches).

I know they are rated to 25 but 30 would be more fun...