Old 10 September 2018, 20:09   #61

Town: York
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Mariner 2stroke
Thank you for the reply. Apologies if I'm replying on the wrong thread - I'm trying to balance performance, splashing and portability. Cost isn't a major issue so long as it's right but I'd be gutted if I went for an expensive engine and splashed everywhere/killed my back!

The 2 stroke Tohatsu 18hp looks absolutely perfect balance except you cant buy them
Old 10 September 2018, 20:11   #62

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Well you can if you want. When I was buying my Mariner 4-stroke two Tohatsu dealers actively encouraged me to buy the lightweight 9.8 2-stroke "for my business". Obviously I don't have a business that needs a boat.

They are freely listed on Ebay.

The Tohatsu 18hp 2-stroke was the holy grail when the 20hp 4-strokes weighed around 52kg. Now Suzuki and Tohatsu have the new efi models down to 43/44kg the Tohatsu 18 2-stroke is less attractive hp/weight.
Old 11 September 2018, 06:28   #63

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Kong, if you have a Merc/Mariner 15 2 stroke then that is IMHO the best 2 stroke for the boat - the lightest and the best operation with one hand tilt/trim and tiller gears. Very well made and reliable. Affordable and you'll not lose a penny come sale time. A bit thirsty is the only downside.

You'll need a 25/30mm block on the Aerotec and maybe fashion an anti-splash deflector - not sure if it's on this topic but there are loads of pics and how to on these in various discussions on here for these.

Because the BAT hull continues in it's unique shape to the transom instead of flattening off it channels all the water to the aft centre and combined with the Merc/Mariner leg design it hits this and goes up - a simple L shaped deflector attached to the lower two transom plate screws stops it.

This is the final one still going strong two years on, other attempts in links below:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/rigging...tml#post715124

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...tml#post686813

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...tml#post687789
Old 13 September 2018, 14:13   #64

Town: Argyll and Bute
Boat name: Draken
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 70
We have put the Suzuki DF25a on our SIT 4.0m ResQraft for lowland rescue work and a few things really stand out about it. The idle speed is a perfect walking pace for searching shorelines, it's super quiet so we can hear if anyone is calling out and when needed it will bring the boat up onto the plane very quickly even with 4 hefty blokes in it and a mandatory prop guard. It takes two of us to safely put on and off, which we have to do every time we use it as the boat is stored rolled up in a trailer. Oh, and the pull start is amazingly easy for such a big block.