Old 27 June 2016, 06:46   #51

Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mariner60 Honda2.3
MMSI: 239711398
Not fully conclusive yet but will post if I find the definitive height for our use/conditions.
Only tested solo this weekend and lightly loaded seems the worst condition for splash. Have been running 25mm riser as stock, now tried 50 and 65mm. No top speed gain (21knots) with any, splash is getting less with more height but not yet fully eliminated. Not suffering significant ventilation even at 65mm so may be room to go higher!
It's the disturbed water exit off the concave transom/v-floor edge curling up and inward hitting the lower leg. Very annoying but not causing performance issues.
Will keep you posted.

Old 27 June 2016, 07:17   #52

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
>>>now tried 50 and 65mm. No top speed gain (21knots) with any, splash is getting less with more height but not yet fully eliminated. Not suffering significant ventilation even at 65mm so may be room to go higher!

Thanks... may have to take my junior carpentry kit and a set of timber pieces on holiday.

>>>tested solo this weekend and lightly loaded seems the worst condition for splash.

That's the conclusion I'm coming to after our own experience and reading of others. Interestingly on our difficult return leg this Friday I moved our weight a little more to the stern than usual to get a little bow lift into waves. For the first time with the Suzuki I noticed more transom splash. And of course when solo even with a tiller extension you tend to be bow high so that all fits the pattern.

Seems splash is minimal when running level.

Old 20 July 2016, 11:32   #53

First 20hr service at dealers today, only 10hrs covered but wanted it checked before holiday.

Dealers... you gotta laugh. So when looking to buy this OB the dealer said the 20hr service was "not much work so about 45". When asking for a quote last week when I booked it in it was going to be "only 50 or 60". Actual bill for oils, seals, filter and labour was 79! Ok it's better than the near 200 quotes/bills mentioned in other threads but is it so hard to be straightforward?

Anyway no fault codes recorded and no issues reported so that keeps the warranty up through this first year. Going to think very hard about whether I have just one more dealer service at the end of this first year to keep the warranty through year two... or just self service from now on and take any warranty issues on the chin.
Old 20 July 2016, 12:14   #54

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Out of interest David what was the oils on yours like, mine were surprisingly dirty.
Looks like I have to find another dealer the one I used is selling to someone down south bit of a bummer.

Cheers
Old 20 July 2016, 13:21   #55

I didn't see the drained oils at this service Jeff but on the dipstick yesterday the engine oil was still as new golden. No idea about the gearbox oil.