Old 13 February 2016, 09:29   #1

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Suzuki DF20AS 4-stroke new - Any opinions?

I've been very happy with my two Mariner/Mercury 15hp 2-strokes used on several SIBs over the past few years and now on the Aerotec.

However having a bit of a "what if" chat with the Mrs today and I'm considering buying a new Suzuki BF20AS. Reason is to get the extra 33% power and for a new engine to take us into and through the next 10yrs SIB use.

This Suzuki at 44kg is getting close to the holy grail 36kg 15hp 2-strokes so perhaps time to consider one.

Anyone running a current model BF20 or one in the similar 15-25hp range??

Old 13 February 2016, 13:17   #2

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
I am running the Df 25a manual 3 cylinder 63 kg 2015 absolutely brilliant great on fuel sounds same as my 90df I had, and loads of power.
I think the 20 is a two cylinder and will make the aerotec fly you will still be under the 100kg boat and engine combo spot on David. I think they still have the security code offer on too worth 40.
Seamark nunn have an offer on this week I got mine from Ron hale marine around 2600 instead of over 3000
Charging kit 106.00 if you need that.

Cheers

Old 14 February 2016, 05:15   #3

Thanks Jeff it seems this could be a real possibility. I'm going to run over to the local dealers early next week and see if they have one to look at.... it happens they have a deal on at the moment within 15 of Seamark Nunn.

Still be interested to hear of others experience of these motors.
Old 14 February 2016, 10:10   #4

Ron hale selling 20hp @2150 for info, let me know if you want some pics if the dealer hasn't anything in, they are really good on fuel with the lean burn tech you won't be disappointed, good luck with your choice don't forget to ask about the free data tag system if it's still on, the Suzuki web site will confirm that though.

Cheers
Old 14 February 2016, 10:16   #5

Thanks for mentioning Ron Hale. They appear to be the price to beat/match so it's a target for the local dealer to get near. Does the EFI way of operating have any quirks or is it like a modern petrol car with the same tech that will start as well cold as hot and pull evenly through the rev range?

How about service costs and requirements to keep the warranty up?
Old 14 February 2016, 10:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Thanks for mentioning Ron Hale. They appear to be the price to beat/match so it's a target for the local dealer to get near. Does the EFI way of operating have any quirks or is it like a modern petrol car with the same tech that will start as well cold as hot and pull evenly through the rev range?

How about service costs and requirements to keep the warranty up?
Ross at Ron hale is a great bloke price wise best I've seen I went down to pick mine up only reason was wanted other stuff so did it in one go.

Starting wise same as a car all auto the engine decompresses it's self for easy starting one pull on mine hot or cold and it's away nice and quiet.
I am still running mine in but up to 3000rpm she's as sweat as a nut plenty of power in fact more power than I need my boat is a 3.8m really just got stubby cone ends and weighs in at 100kg proberbly 150kg loaded plus my 18 stone so a 20hp for you will be spot on.
Service costs not sure but why not try getting a deal with your local dealer.
This is my third DF & fifth Suzuki had no problems, I wouldn't say I am hung on suzuki's because I have had two new yams too no probs with them either and to be honest all the main makes are good.
Worth getting on the Ron hale site to compare all engines I printed off all that I was interested in and sat for a few weeks before I decided but this is the time to buy
Hope that helps let me know if you need any pics happy to help

Cheers
Old 14 February 2016, 13:04   #7

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
You should give Yellow Penguin a call down in Poole a call. They have recently had some great deals on Suzuki outboards.
Old 15 February 2016, 07:32   #8

Thanks for the comments re suppliers with good prices but as dealer servicing at 20hrs... and then yearly... is a requirement of the Suzuki 5yr warranty happy to pay a little over the absolute minimum to establish a relationship with the local dealer.

It seems Honda will allow a "competent" person to carry out services while maintaining the warranty just as long as Honda parts are used... Suzuki insist it is only dealers who can service within the warranty period.
Old 15 February 2016, 07:49   #9

not knocking Honda in any way but when the s--t hits the fan what do they deem competent it might be me but if there's a way out!
Old 15 February 2016, 08:27   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
not knocking Honda in any way but when the s--t hits the fan what do they deem competent it might be me but if there's a way out!

👍+1 in my line of work, to be deemed competent, you don't just have do the training, you also have to be able to prove experience, via logbook, references etc. "Competent" is gradually moving towards a legal definition.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote