Old 23 December 2017, 17:33   #31

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 9.9 4-stroke
Service kit for 2013-on models... 17400-89810-000

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-Ge...-/282010031055

or... Suzuki Service Kits M-KIT, DF9.9B/15A/20A (2013 onwards) - Boat Sales,Chandlery,Engine Sales,Repairers,Marine Engineers,Electronics

Valve cover gasket... 11162-89L00-000

Only UK place I could find just now listing it... https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/product/s...der-head?uID=0

But as I said I messaged the Suzuki Ebay folks and they listed it as a one off for me.... and I'm sure PA Lynch would get one too.

BTW if you appear to have found a bargain service kit for around £34 double check as this is usually the pre-2013 one.

Old 24 December 2017, 04:54   #32

Town: Ardrossan
Boat name: Destination Anywhere
Make: AB Lammina 10al
Engine: Suzuki DF20/DF2.5
Thanks both, very helpful. Iíll check the prop when Iím allowed time off sorting out the cruisers bbq for tomorrow! Happy Christmas to all.

Www.sailingdestinationanywhere.com

Old 24 December 2017, 07:53   #33

Hi guys,
The prop is 9 1/4 x 12. What’s your view given this please? I’m assuming overpropped means too much grip, ie won’t rev?
Old 24 December 2017, 07:58   #34

Yep that's what mine would have come with. As I said above even the 11" I agreed the dealer should substitute felt a little over geared and the 10" is perfect.

We carry 3 folks plus dog and a lot of kit.. also our SIB being a deepish V is a bit draggy compared to a lighter load and flattish bottom outfit.

Just looking back at the posts... being held to 3000rpm and not getting on the plane 2 up is really bogged down. How big is the AB rib?
Old 24 December 2017, 12:18   #35

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
I agree with fenlander going down to a 10 inch pitch will bring you up to 3400 a 3500 rpm, what is your trim position, it sounds like you may just be in front of the bow wave and need that bit more to get over it.
I guess your boat weight is around £120 kg at 10 ft so your motor should cope easily achieving around 20 knots I would of thought.
Have a look on the Suzuki web site they have boat tests with figures to compare.
Old 25 December 2017, 16:29   #36

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
If your down to 3000rpm are you sure the tach is reading correctly that's like half what you should be doing, have you tried taking the rpm up with no load to determine the tach is correct?
It may be you are over propped but if that's the case I assume your not getting on the plane? Reducing pitch may help you get out the hole and increase speed and rpm but you can't calculate the reduction in pitch if your only at 3000 rpm
You'll need to reduce pitch till you get on the plane and close to required Rpm then calculate from there
Old 26 December 2017, 04:08   #37
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Kenís suspicions sound right to me. If you are only getting 3000rpm then I am surprised you get on the plane (or certainly quickly) with two on board. How do the revs compare fully loaded and lightly loaded and how does it sound?

If the engine is giving full power lightly loaded, then itís possible that better use of trim and/or load distribution will help you get over the ďhumpĒ.
Old 26 December 2017, 05:39   #38

>>>You'll need to reduce pitch till you get on the plane and close to required Rpm then calculate from there

In truth for a 20hp on a SIB or light tiller steer RIB up to 4m (I'm guessing the OP's isn't longer than this) with two up the range of props hardly needs calculating. 12" would only do for a light skimmy hulled outfit with minimal load... 9" would only be needed if the SIB/RIB is over large or carrying a greater load like 4 folks and kit. So the choice is 10" or 11" and the 10" that these OBs were mostly supplied with is perfect for 90% of situations.

We do need a bit more info from the OP though... particularly if the 3000rpm is when it's bogged down not planning... or is it 3000rpm showing when flat out on the plane with a light load at WOT??

Re tach settings what does it read at idle? Should be 850rpm.
Old 26 December 2017, 05:41   #39

Thanks again guys, super helpful!

The rib is an AB Lammina 10 al, it is 10í6Ē and weighs 53kg, plus engine and fuel. I bought the Rev counter / hour timer from ebay after reading the original thread on the 20 I think.

This is all from memory but. With just me in, circa 15 stone, it pops into the plane fine and does about 20kts. With me and my wife in (weight a closely guarded secret!) again no problems. Add a third person and we just canít get onto the plane. the engine is fully trimmed down, ie bow pushed fully down.

I have a feeling that perhaps itís the prop given what Iíve been reading on here and I do need/want a spare prop anyhow so I can keep 12í As a spare.

One question, our last set up was an Avon rib of similar length and a 15hp two stroke that someone kindly stole. That engine had those fins on it - should I fit some of those as I understand they help one onto the plane?

I wonít rev out of gear, seems to be limited? Apart from the vibrations at low revs Iím very happy with the engine. So long as the electronics hold out I much prefer this to a carburettor managed engine.

Cheers,
Old 26 December 2017, 06:50   #40

Helpful extra info thanks...

Your one up performance sounds fine... I'd expect perhaps 23kts in good conditions. So obviously your engine is revving in the right ball park at WOT with the light load. (Note yes it is correct it's rev limited by the ECU when out of gear)

Re load vs performance. Our SIB as I've said above will be more draggy than yours due to our flexible hull and sharper V profile... they weigh broadly the same. So yours should be capable of greater performance with the same OB for any given load.

Our standard load is a total of 34st in people plus dog, too much kit and a full 25l fuel tank. With the 10" prop we can leap on the plane in any circumstance we choose without waiting to get over the hump. Sometimes we are 42st in people plus dog/kit/fuel and we still pop on the plane OK.

If I put the 11" prop on we can still plane under these circumstances with both loads but it feels much more draggy getting onto the plane... particularly with the greater load.

The difference between 10" and 11" props is far more than any theoretical prop pitch calculation would have you believe hence me being fairly sure your 12" prop is a big factor.

Re trim and weight distribution... Keeping the bow down to get on the plane is important but usually just for that brief period getting over the hump then a standard trim is often best. I always run a mid point OB trim position and shift weight to get the boat's trim right. When getting on the plane is marginal I'd just be inclined to ask one crew to move up forward for those few moments and then back when plane is established. By being trimmed fully in you may be causing drag by having too much of the bow in the water.

Doel fins are a marmite thing... I've had them and didn't like them. In truth they are to attempt to correct a poor setup. Your small RIB and 20hp should be an excellent performing outfit without fins.

Re the OB in general. Yes the just off idle offbeat vibration would be better done without but it's a minor thing. So far these engines seem to be very reliable re elecs and I agree I far prefer the accurate control of injection and an ECU.

BTW your Beneteau looks so elegant and for me in the perfect hull colour. One of my all time memories is as a kid in the late 60s on a family holiday in a sleek hulled 55ft motorsailer cruising France, Brittany and The Channel isles for a couple of weeks.

Tags
suzuki