Old 29 May 2010, 11:37   #1

Town: Essex
Boat name: Vesper
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Suzuki DF140 vs DF150 Ribcraft 5.85

Hello all,

I'm having some trouble deciding between the two suzuki's on a 5.85.

I know the differences in spec between the two but without actually speaking to somebody who has used both on the boat it's difficult to choose.

If I decide on the 140 will I always wish I'd got the 150? Or is it plenty of power for the 5.85?

What difference in fuel consumption is there likely to be between the two?

Main use is cruising and high speed bursts.

Thanks.
Paul
Old 29 May 2010, 11:52   #2

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
can you look at the Yam 150??... I heard but not confirmed the suzook actually pushes out 128 at the prop.
Old 29 May 2010, 12:54   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Length: 6m +
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
surely we are not going back to the days when some engines (from the states) were rated at the crankshaft and others (from Japan) were rated at the prop shaft?
Old 29 May 2010, 14:37   #4

Town: Bristol
Engine: Yamaha
wavelength, i hope not, would be interesting if someone knows 100% if this is the case.
Old 29 May 2010, 19:40   #5

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Nimrod
Engine: Suzuki 200
I've got a Suzuki 140 on my 5.85 and it is more than adequate for 5 people and 4 sets of technical diving kit (about 75kg each) - in a reasonable sea we can manage 25+ knots at 4200 rpm with the original prop. I'm not sure the 150 will give you a lot more. The 5.85/140 is a well balanced combination.
Old 29 May 2010, 20:32   #6

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
There is an extra 30kg ish to lug around with an extra 800cc ish to fill with petrol each rev - all for an extra 10hp ? (not to mention the cost).

I guess the 150 will be a less 'stressed' engine - but I'd stick with the 140 ....
Old 29 May 2010, 20:35   #7
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
There is an extra 30kg ish to lug around with an extra 800cc ish to fill with petrol each rev - all for an extra 10hp ? (not to mention the cost).

I guess the 150 will be a less 'stressed' engine - but I'd stick with the 140 ....
Bet there's a shedload more torque though.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2010, 20:42   #8

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Good point Nos . I guess it becomes a question of if its pushing a 'heavy' boat ( over & above the solid construction of Ribcraft).
Old 29 May 2010, 21:41   #9

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
IBWET (member on here) went through the same decision making process and opted for the DF150. Check his posts - he found the boat stern-heavy and liable to chine walking, but good fun.

Why does it have to be a Soozook? Opti and Etec 150s will come in a little bit lighter and you'll get 6 cylinders & 2-stroke benefits.
Old 29 May 2010, 22:06   #10

Town: Glasgow
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Why does it have to be a Soozook? Opti and Etec 150s will come in a little bit lighter and you'll get 6 cylinders & 2-stroke benefits.
Soozook make a bit of noise about their outboards being very fuel efficient, do you know if this is just the usual sales guff or are they really better than the rest?
Old 29 May 2010, 23:13   #11

Town: Fareham
I've been out several times in a RIBcraft 5.85 with a 140 Suzuki. Top speed was 40 knots +/- a little. Seemed quite nicely balanced and handled the rough stuff pretty good. The two owners this RIB had where very pleased with her and never complained about lack of performance or bad fuel consumption.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2010, 23:23   #12

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I'd agree with Hightower. Having been on a few RC585/140 Soozook RIBs, I can say they work well together. The Ribcraft 585 tends to be light in the bow, so a heavy (200+ kg) 150hp 4-stroke outboard wouldn't be ideal, unless you really need the extra ponies, if eg, you're carrying a lot of weight on board.
I'd go for an Opti or etec though
Old 30 May 2010, 00:42   #13

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
That was the reason I went for the 150 Etec rather than the 130 which is a 115 with the volume turned up, in much the same way as a DF140 appears to be a slightly bored out DF115 with the volume turned up.

You apparently only get about 35kt out of a 5.8 Vipermax with a DF140 on, whereas apparently I should get about 45kt out of mine with a 150 E-tec on, which isn't really explained by a 10hp difference when the engines are within a few kilos of each other.

If I'd gone for Ribcraft 5.85 I probably would have stuck to the DF140 as it seems to be a more efficient hull from listening to owners, but the Vipermax seemed to really need the extra torque that I guess 30% more cc's gets you. I discounted the DF150 as an option on mine when I was told it was going to be £1000 or so more expensive than the E-tec 150 but I think that was partly to do with dealership arrangements.

This is worth a read if you haven't seen it: http://rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26149

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2010, 07:47   #14

Make: RIBCRAFT 5.85
Engine: 150AETX Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
IBWET (member on here) went through the same decision making process and opted for the DF150. Check his posts - he found the boat stern-heavy and liable to chine walking, but good fun.

I never got problems with chine walking - not even when the tank (180L) is almost empty.

And, yes, the Suzuki has less hp than displayed. 128-134.

Go for the 150 Yammi or Etec.
Old 30 May 2010, 07:56   #15

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
On a 6.3m Humber Ocean Pro (similar weighboat) top speed wih a DF140 was just under 40kts. Fuel consumption at 28kts was circa 15 lph.
I have heard many stories that the engine only developed 126bhp, after all it is a enlarged version of the DF90 engine block. Nonetheless, it is a very light engine, hugely economical and more than powerful enough. Unless you plan to operate at very high weights I do not believe the extra expense, extra weight and reduced economy warrant purchase of the DF150.
Old 30 May 2010, 09:53   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolli View Post
And, yes, the Suzuki has less hp than displayed. 128-134.
Isn't there a 10% rule that the outboard manufacturers need to keep to? So a 140 branded outboard could have a power range from 126 to 154hp. This is exploited by the Etec HO series that pushes out more HP.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 30 May 2010, 10:13   #17

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Ribcraft are in bed with Suzuki, that's the only reason why most RC boats are fitted with them. I've spent a lot of time boating along side a 585/DF140. It's a good combo, but it will suffer if you load the boat. I agree with DHD, a 150Etec or Opti would get the thing singing without adding transom weight.
Old 31 May 2010, 08:55   #18

Town: Essex
Boat name: Vesper
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Thanks for the replies.

The boat will not really be loaded up on weight, the most will be a full tank of fuel and usually 2 people, but occasionally 4 or 5.

I have looked into the 2 strokes opti and etec but I'm put off by the noise and worried on the longevety of them. Should I be? Are they now comparable on fuel economy to the 4 stokes?

I've stuck to suzuki so far as I've got one at the moment albeit a 50hp and it's been excellent so far. Is a Honda going to change my mind?
Old 31 May 2010, 09:07   #19

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul325i View Post
I have looked into the 2 strokes opti and etec but I'm put off by the noise and worried on the longevety of them. Should I be? Are they now comparable on fuel economy to the 4 stokes?
The introduction of the Etec blew most of those myths away.
Longevity- less moving parts in a 2st.
Noise- 4st wins on tick-over only. Opti's are noisy, Etecs are much less so.
Economy- nothing much between any of them, it's all down to how you drive 'em.

I had a similar dilemma when powering my Vipermax. My choice was between a 250 Suzuki or Etec. Having owned the Etec for 2yrs now, I'm very happy with my choice.
My supplier put it this way (he sold both, so was getting the sale either way) 'The Suzy will give you a Jag, the Etec a Ferrari'.
Old 31 May 2010, 09:19   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul325i View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The boat will not really be loaded up on weight, the most will be a full tank of fuel and usually 2 people, but occasionally 4 or 5.

I've stuck to suzuki so far as I've got one at the moment albeit a 50hp and it's been excellent so far. Is a Honda going to change my mind?
I'll agree with Mollers on most of what he says, but on the fuel economy side you have to take into account the cost of 2 stroke oil too. But you'll have cheaper service costs for a 2 stroke so it's swings and roundabouts.

As for the noise, the Etecs are very good at tickover, not as quiet as the Suzuki's and Verados but at least you know they're running . At speed I doubt that you can really hear any outboard above the noise of the wind whistling past your ears.

Looks Slow but is Fast