Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 11 December 2007, 09:07   #1

Length: 5m +
Suzuki DF115 Exhaust Corrosion

please don't shoot me if my etiquette is lacking. My technical knowledge is limited as i'm doing this on behalf of someone else, so please bare with me.

i'm a member of a dive club and our Suzuki DF115 has corroded straight through the exhaust, it happened while we were out for a day and basically burnt through the electrics as well, it was a touch interesting for a while. I'm trying to find out if we are an isolated case as Suzuki have so far pretty much ignored our pleas. The engine is only about 4 years old and serviced in line with the recommendations.

are we alone?
Old 11 December 2007, 11:59   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Welcome to Ribnet, no your not alone, lots of folk on ribnet, but you might be the first person to have this problem.

Shame Suzuki won't anwser your queries because this is what is says on there website

Corrosion can make short work of a good outboard motor, but it doesn't stand a chance with a Suzuki outboard. During production, each Suzuki motor is treated with chromate and sealed with a double coat of melamine resin primer, and every critical nut, bolt and washer is protected with a coat of dacromate. A network of grounding wires is incorporated into the engine's design, leading to a number of replaceable zinc anodes positioned on the outside surfaces and in the water jacket surrounding the cylinder head. As a result, corrosion builds up on the 'sacrificial' anodes instead of on important engine surfaces

Where in the UK are you, trip to the boat show for a one to one meeting perhaps ? Have you raise a BSAC incident report, you could start one and send it to Suzuki and ask for there comments before it goes to HQ BSAC.

Pete
Old 11 December 2007, 12:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Where in the UK are you, trip to the boat show for a one to one meeting perhaps ? Have you raise a BSAC incident report, you could start one and send it to Suzuki and ask for there comments before it goes to HQ BSAC.
Pete
thats a good point and an avenue we should probably go for as well.
Old 11 December 2007, 20:00   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I know an extremely good (and honest) suzuki dealer, who may tell me if there is a history of any problems. I'll ask next time I speak. I don't think there is though, as I asked for any known problems with my df90, which is near as dammit identical.
Old 11 December 2007, 22:39   #5

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
From a persponal view point and being a fellow Suzuki owner any chance of a pic of your problem !
Old 12 December 2007, 07:50   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
From a persponal view point and being a fellow Suzuki owner any chance of a pic of your problem !
bit difficult as its with one of our club members i'll see what i can do. while perusing the interweb, i did find one other owner with an identical problem and that too happened after about 400hrs.
Old 12 December 2007, 19:47   #7

Town: West Sussex
Make: zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 115
I have the df115 I have had the hood off today ,bearing in mind mines only half the age ,but its absolutely like new under there ,shouldn,t be suprised tho so it should be ,but will keep a lookout in the future.
Old 13 December 2007, 12:33   #8

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Fox,

It's not surprising it burned your electrics - Exhaust usually leaves the cylinders (well, of petrol engines at WOT anyway) somewhere between 800-950 Deg C!

Is the bit that's corroded a piece of stamped sheet or a casting?

I ask more out of curiosity than anything, as I would have thought to eat through a casting would take some doing, even in 4 years, unless something anodic was also rumbling along in the background or you're motoring through some really dodgily polluted water! .
Old 13 December 2007, 13:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Fox,

Is the bit that's corroded a piece of stamped sheet or a casting?

I ask more out of curiosity than anything, as I would have thought to eat through a casting would take some doing, even in 4 years, unless something anodic was also rumbling along in the background or you're motoring through some really dodgily polluted water! .
not sure how polluted the Solent is........

I'm not technical enough to know the ins and out just trying to find out if there were others, but when i did see the piece it looked cast as it was a large thick piece of metal, some bit with a water jacket around it, but the jacket didn't go the whole way round and left a section and it was this bit that had gone through.
Old 13 December 2007, 13:56   #10

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
remember the good old days when suzuki outboards were known as a disprin
Old 13 December 2007, 14:02   #11

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFox View Post
Suzuki have so far pretty much ignored our pleas.
Suzuki Customer Services would like to have a chat with you.

Pete