Old 07 August 2013, 18:32   #1
RMS

Town: Pudsey
Boat name: Aquaticus / HATOWIL
Make: Ribquest and Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 140 and 90
Suzuki DF 90 cut out issues

I have a Suzuki DF 90 on a 5.5 m Zodiac Pro Open. It's a 2009 four stroke and has a little over 100 hours on it. Like new, but there is a problem that causes the " check engine" light to come on after a while and usually when at more than 5,000 revs or otherwise under more load. Its happened twice now. The first time I shut it down and when left for a while it started without any problem and ran with no warning lights. It let me down yesterday and just cut out. A case of drop an anchor ( luckily we had the depth so we could) and wait for 40 mins. The tell tale is pumping strongly so I don't think there is a problem with the pump /impeller. When it stops the power trim and tilt is disabled as well. When it is able to restart, it seems to run smoothly, with no warning lights. The temp light has not come on either time.

I'm in Spain at the moment and so have a degree of language barrier and whilst I've had a guy have a look at it (after the first event) it was without any computer diagnostics and when it was running fine. He said put some more oil in it, but it's fine for oil. Not much help, even though he is the only local outboard mechanic.

I'm thinking thermostat, but any suggestions would be appreciated. The second time it happened I had been out for a while and it had run perfectly for 2.5 hours or more, including waterskiing. The 10 minute blast in at about 5,500 revs triggered it.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old 14 August 2013, 21:46   #2

Town: poole
Make: ring
Engine: outboard
Overheating and low oil pressure shouldn't shut the engine down. Working at a Suzuki dealership I have had to replace crank position sensors most commonly on those engines. You need to plug in really though unless you watch the check engine light when the engine faults and see if it flashes in any sequence, as this will tell you which sensor is at fault.
Old 14 August 2013, 22:18   #3

Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
note the flash sequence from the warning light when it comes on. Will give the clue hopefully.
Old 15 August 2013, 08:26   #4
RMS

Thanks. Appreciate the comments. I have found someone who tells me he has the kit to plug in and diagnose. He was about 50 miles away but worth trying to get someone with some expertise and he deals with Suzuki. I have passed the comment about the sensor on to him ( gently so as not to offend ) and we will what he comes up with.

If its replacing the sensor as suggested, can you give me a ball park on cost, as I know I'm going to pay over the odds, it's just a question of how much.

Cheers.
Old 15 August 2013, 15:31   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
When it stops the power trim and tilt is disabled as well.
Makes it sound like a wiring problem to me...

jky
Old 15 August 2013, 19:23   #6

Town: poole
Make: ring
Engine: outboard
I missed the power trim and tilt bit! Check the 'white wire connection' and the main harness.
Old 30 August 2013, 19:34   #7
RMS

Think it's sorted. Computer diagnosis showed nothing. No faults etc. Seemed to be an electrical connection problem, but after several hours of checking, nothing obvious. Hope it doesn't come back but he's had fuses and relays off and we've been out a few times since with a back up boat and so far all seems fine. Thanks for previous comments.