Old 25 May 2015, 13:27   #1

Town: annan
Boat name: Viper
Make: ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard 60hp
suzuki df 140 stainless propeller

Has anyone got a ribcraft 585 fitted with suzuki df140 with a stainless steel propeller on it ?
Mine has a 14X21 alloy prop and the pitch is just right I fancy a stainless steel one to see if I can just get a bit more from the boat I think a Solas HR 3 Titan 13 7/8 X 21 is the one but not sure. It may not be worth the bother can anyone help cheers.
Old 26 May 2015, 20:43   #2

Town: Newcastle, Staffs
Boat name: Duma
Make: Shearwater Cutter
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200hp
Paul seemingly the 14 x 21 is the standard prop and gives me round 38 knots but I have had 42 with the tide. I have also considered a stainless prop but then stainless is less forgiving if you hit the prop and you are at a greater risk of damaging the gearbox. In reality how often do you want to run a max speed. A stainless prop looks good though!
Old 26 May 2015, 22:47   #3

Town: Thame
Boat name: Free-Flow
Make: Shearwater 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
I had some good advice on this topic a few weeks ago. See the thread I started entitled top speed DF140 / RC585. I think I may need to re-prop, so any experience you have would be interesting.
Old 27 May 2015, 07:36   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
i have a ribquest 585 6m x 2.4m beam with a DF 90 Suzuki 3 people,100lts of fuel.
performance in good conditions but on different days & sites

14 x 19 ali prop max at WOT 39 knts flat calm
13.5 x 21 s/s prop 30 knts 5300 rpm slight chop bit of wind
14 x 20 s/s just shy of 30knts slight chop bit of wind.
OMO but if i had the decision to make again i would stick with an ali prop purely on cost, the only time in 5 years the prop has hit anything was the ali prop picked up a boot lace weed with a big stone on the bottom in 4m of water resulting in a nick out the prop and paint off the cav plate.if i was in a shallow sandy area like some have to contend with in rivers/estuaries i would use a s/s prop.not sure about wiping gearboxes out with s/s props the rubber bush is the weak link as did the shear pin in smaller outboards.
Old 27 May 2015, 10:06   #5

Town: Douglas
Length: no boat
I went through this exercise with my DF140 on a 6.3 Ocean Pro some ten years ago.
Performance figures with two different SS props were poorer than the best aliminium one so I remained with that.
Old 27 May 2015, 11:03   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypman View Post
I went through this exercise with my DF140 on a 6.3 Ocean Pro some ten years ago.
Performance figures with two different SS props were poorer than the best aliminium one so I remained with that.
i tend to agree the thing is you need the dead same conditions, to be honest all my testing has been done whilst away on hols and swapping props out has been the the last thing on my mind, but having said that i use the 13.5 x 21 s/s it seems to do for my boat i get good m/l @ 4000 rpm with a descent turn of speed so happy
Old 27 May 2015, 16:34   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
I see plenty of broken gearboxes on engines that have stainless props.

I have a stainless prop!
Old 27 May 2015, 16:35   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 100hp Yam/150hp opt
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul barclay View Post
Has anyone got a ribcraft 585 fitted with suzuki df140 with a stainless steel propeller on it ?
Mine has a 14X21 alloy prop and the pitch is just right I fancy a stainless steel one to see if I can just get a bit more from the boat I think a Solas HR 3 Titan 13 7/8 X 21 is the one but not sure. It may not be worth the bother can anyone help cheers.
Paul,

A stainless of the same size as your aluminium one "should" give you better performance due to the thinner blades.

But they are a lot of money to start experimenting with!
Old 27 May 2015, 20:11   #9

Town: annan
Boat name: Viper
Make: ribcraft
Engine: outboard 60hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul barclay View Post
Going to stay with the 14X21 alloy prop don't think I am going to gain much if anything 38 knots @ 5900rpm is okay just thought might hit 40 too expensive to start playing around with stainless props need one to try before I buy
Old 02 June 2015, 23:05   #10

Town: south Yorkshire
Boat name: Trasee
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235099743
Great thread,reading with interest.i have a suzuki 90 with alloy prop,35/36 max speed at max revs, was contemplating a stainless prop but a little scared of gearbox damage, it seems that you can spend a lot on props for zero gain,surley the standard prop size fitted must have been carefully worked out by the engineers as to be the desired size ?? Welcome thoughts on this because like us all by the looks we want to go as fast as possible at times with what we have.����
Old 03 June 2015, 06:55   #11

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr650 View Post
Great thread,reading with interest.i have a suzuki 90 with alloy prop,35/36 max speed at max revs, was contemplating a stainless prop but a little scared of gearbox damage, it seems that you can spend a lot on props for zero gain,surley the standard prop size fitted must have been carefully worked out by the engineers as to be the desired size ?? Welcome thoughts on this because like us all by the looks we want to go as fast as possible at times with what we have.����
XR

i did a lot of digging on this spoke to Suzuki UK its been said many times there are so many variables that its not an exact science that why i guess the manufacturers give a prop range for their engines and its a suck it and see i was lucky Dave rose at rib quest loaned me some props to try. personally i think if your reaching 5300 - 6000 WOT your about right.
a good way if people would agree is on a large gathering such as easedale RR if boats could exchange props to try that way you would get a day at it and find a prop that suits i always take at least two props but would take all three if someone wanted to try them.