Old 07 June 2010, 21:44   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: SR4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki 55 3cyl 2str
Suzuki 55 2 Stroke

Hi All,
I have just bought an SR4 with a Suzuki 55 2 stroke 3 cyl for running out on thge Solent and teaching the kids how to drive. I have a few questions and wondered if anyone could offer any help please?
First, it has a cap type killcord which looks useless to me. Can this be easily replaced in the control box with the Yam type I am used to?
Second, how do I tell the age of the outboard?
Third, does anyone know how reliable these are? It runs fine, but a small rib in the Solent cant carry a spare outboard so I am wondering if there are any pitfalls or any particular spares I should carry?
Lastly, there is a gas ram assisted lift, but no power trim / tilt. A guy in Scotland says he has the rams, solenoids and motor to adapt to PTT for £430. Is this likely or am I making a mistake I will regret?
I have attached a pic of the outboard in case this helps. It looks pristine under the cover and runs OK, but a little lumpy. Would a good service do it?

Oh, and one more thing, prop size - any advice for a balance between speed and acceleration?
Thanks in advance,
Edward
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	51756  
Old 07 June 2010, 21:58   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
The cap type killcords work fine, if the spring around the outside is in decent nick. Otherwise, they don't fit very snugly and can be prone to coming adrift.

The motor is early 1990s. Post the serial number and I'll let you know the exact year.

The DT55/65 is a good motor. Some of the Soozook electrics can be troublesome, eg the oil filter/flow sensor, the water temp/level sensor and the oil level sensor, but these are easily replaced if they fail.

PTT is nice to have - your decision as to whether it's worth the £430 he's asking for it.

What prop is on there? IIRC, the standard prop had a 15" pitch. I reckon a 16" pitch would be right on a SR4, 'cos they're very light for a 3-cyl 55hp motor. I may have one here, if you need one. Best give it a run with the prop fitted and see if it does the job for you.
Old 07 June 2010, 22:03   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Harrison View Post
I have just bought an SR4 with a Suzuki 55 2 stroke 3 cyl for running out on thge Solent and teaching the kids how to drive.
sounds like a lot of power for teaching kids with (is the hull not only rated to 50HP?) is chinewalking a problem?
Quote:
First, it has a cap type killcord which looks useless to me. Can this be easily replaced in the control box with the Yam type I am used to?
probably but if the old one works why change?
Quote:
a small rib in the Solent cant carry a spare outboard

Quote:
It runs fine,
Quote:
runs OK, but a little lumpy.
Old 07 June 2010, 22:07   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
DON'T take the control box apart unless you're very used to things that go 'ping-aaargh' and fire themselves everywhere. If the killcord works and is reliable, stick with it.
Quote:
Second, how do I tell the age of the outboard?
Google 'brownspoint suzuki' and have a look with your serial number.
DHD probably know how old it is by what it looks like though. <edit> Told you so, DHD got there 1st
Quote:
Third, does anyone know how reliable these are? It runs fine, but a small rib in the Solent cant carry a spare outboard so I am wondering if there are any pitfalls or any particular spares I should carry?
Plugs.something to drain water from carbs ,WD40 or the like and fuses. There's not a lot you can do if it goes wrong. However, you'll probably get a 2-4hp 2 stroke aux on there. I used to manage it on mine. Get measurements and check it out before you buy though!
Quote:
Lastly, there is a gas ram assisted lift, but no power trim / tilt. A guy in Scotland says he has the rams, solenoids and motor to adapt to PTT for £430. Is this likely or am I making a mistake I will regret?
It'll be far far cheaper to sell your engine and buy one with PTT.
Quote:
I have attached a pic of the outboard in case this helps. It looks pristine under the cover and runs OK, but a little lumpy. Would a good service do it?
Probably, but no guarantees.Could be that's what it sounds like-I don't know what your idea of 'lumpy' is.
Quote:

Oh, and one more thing, prop size - any advice for a balance between speed and acceleration?
Thanks in advance,
Edward
Get the WOT revs right and it'll be fine. It's an SR4 with a 55hp so it'll go like a scalded cat pretty much whatever you do.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2010, 22:08   #5

Hi, That was a quick response! Thanks.
Any ideas where I can get spare kill cord caps then? I always take a spare. When I turn the starter key there is an alarm which sounds - very much like the killcord isnt in on a Yam. The guy I bought it from, says its the coolant water alarm, does that sound right?
Any ideas where I can get a manual or tech info on the engine for gearbox oil change and general servicing info?
I will let you have the serial number as I need it for the insurance. May take a raincheck on the PTT, as I am not sure the guy really has all the bits and even if it is the right parts for the outboard. The gas lift makes it easy to tilt, but its no good when you want to trim under power is it!
Are the control boxes able to work either side? I am used to RH throttle and as I will be teaching and I am right handed I would like to sit to Stbd.
How do I tell re the prop? Will it be printed or stamped with a size?
Sorry for all the questions but I bet yu love answering them really!!
PS What do you recommend for faded tubes) - dont say 'bonfire'!
Old 07 June 2010, 22:12   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Hi, That was a quick response! Thanks.
Any ideas where I can get spare kill cord caps then? I always take a spare. When I turn the starter key there is an alarm which sounds - very much like the killcord isnt in on a Yam. The guy I bought it from, says its the coolant water alarm, does that sound right?
Any ideas where I can get a manual or tech info on the engine for gearbox oil change and general servicing info?
I will let you have the serial number as I need it for the insurance. May take a raincheck on the PTT, as I am not sure the guy really has all the bits and even if it is the right parts for the outboard. The gas lift makes it easy to tilt, but its no good when you want to trim under power is it!
Are the control boxes able to work either side? I am used to RH throttle and as I will be teaching and I am right handed I would like to sit to Stbd.
How do I tell re the prop? Will it be printed or stamped with a size?
Sorry for all the questions but I bet yu love answering them really!!
PS What do you recommend for faded tubes) - dont say 'bonfire'!
aquafax in hamble do spare cords, the prop spec should be stamped on one of the blades. PM Kieron on here (ribshop) for tube rivive and conditioner.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 June 2010, 22:14   #7

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Edward

The Suzi triple is a good motor as DHD has suggested, mine was very reliable apart from the odd electrical issue as also suggested by DHD.

The oil level sensors do give up the ghost sending the motor into limp home mode, as if the oil tank is nearly empty. Suzuki actually suggest they are a service item.

When mine went I looked at the price of a new one and decided they must be joking. I sussed out the wiring and hard wired it in 'full' mode so just had to remember to check the level regularly.

I actually have a load of electrical spares in my garage for the motor still, and I'm only over Pompey way, so let me know if you need anything.

My experiance has been that the cap type ignition key and kill cord connector are better than the later more conventional type and am considering converting my DT200EFI to the cap type keys.

It's a shame your engine doesn't have the power trim and tilt, mine did and it was great. If you can do the conversion for £430 it will be debatable if it's worth it financially, but it will be much nicer to use enabling you to fine tune the trim of the engine on the move.

Nasher.
Old 07 June 2010, 22:17   #8

Thanks Guys for your initial thoughts.
Not sure how to quote sections like you do yet. I know its a lot of power for the kids, but I have been teaching PB for some while and I am hopeful I can limit the top end on this outboard - havent asked you guys about that yet! By limiting top end revs I can limit the power at the prop I think. Do you agree?
I am used to dealing with 4stroke Yams so the 2 stroke sounds 'lumpy' to me, but it smells like a 'proper' outboard!
Do you really think it will go quick? I was thinking it was just a tuned up 40hp, but as its called a DT55/65 according to DHD I may be wrong.
Yes, you are right, the hull is rated at 50hp, but on doing some pre - purchase surfing I foud the power at the prop was only 48HP anyway. The engine has been on the boat from new by the looks - no extra holes in transom - so I was thinking she would be OK. Also, a numvber of you guys on here run 60's - dont you? ......
Really appreciate the advice as I havent owned a rib for about 10 years and I am not used to the maint side - very spoiled at local sailing club where we have 7 nice ribs all professionally maintained by our boatmen. However, its time to play with ringos and skiis now and the club frown on that!!
Look forward to advice / comments for thge experts!!
Cheers
Edward
Old 07 June 2010, 22:19   #9

Hi Nasher - very kind of you re the spares. I appreciate it.
I will keep your name on here somehow - not worked out how yet - and may well vome back to you. Any idea where I can get some tech info on the engine from. I wouldnt be able to work out that wiring on my own.....
Edward
Old 07 June 2010, 22:20   #10

Hi Jizm,
Thanks very much for the leads. Will follow up tomorrow. Cant believe how knowledgable and helpful you all are - and pretty local as well..........Now if only the boat would fit the trailer - can anyone help there?
Edward
Old 07 June 2010, 22:22   #11

Spare killcord: International Marine Supplies

The alarm will be the water level sensor, which will sound intermittently until the water pump fills the powerhead - usually takes 5 or so seconds after firing.

Plenty of manuals on ebay. The Clymer ones are ok, or you may find a genuine Soozook one.

The control boxis easily reversible, but the screws may have corroded. Take off the lower panel and the lever, remove the neutral lock plastic thingy and fit this on the opposite side, then refit the lever on the opposite side and refit the plastic cover.

If it's a Soozook prop, then the size will be cast into the shoulder of one of its blades, next to the hub: diameter x pitch (in inches)
Old 07 June 2010, 22:26   #12

Quote:
...but on doing some pre - purchase surfing I foud the power at the prop was only 48HP anyway.
Where did you find that? Jap motors have been prop rated for a long time - well before that motor was made.
Strangely though, Soozook did also make a 48hp version of this motor.
Old 07 June 2010, 22:32   #13

Maybe I got the wrong info then. Do you think its too powerful for the SR4 - I was a little unsure but its all in such good nick and with the brand new trailer - never been dunked - just need to make it fit somehow. . Could be pretty good fun to find out though.
I spoke to a guy who used to work for Suz when they first brought engines over for boats. Apparently the racers liked them but when they played with them they became unreliable. If one is untampered with it tends to be a 'keeper'. Would you agree?
I was unsure if the 55 was a tuned up 40 or a detuned 60, but from what you are saying its probably the detuned 60 - being 3 cylinder.
Oh well, as long as its reliable for a bit........cant afford a nice smooth new rib and engine, so will hopefully be able to leartn to keep it sweet...
Old 07 June 2010, 22:43   #14

Quote:
Apparently the racers liked them but when they played with them they became unreliable. If one is untampered with it tends to be a 'keeper'. Would you agree?
Hard to say, due to its age. It's nearly 20 years old, so may have had a load of use and consequently have some internal wear. But, on the other hand, if it only has low hours, then it's worth hanging onto - I would, but I've got a bit of a thing for Soozooks

Quote:
I was unsure if the 55 was a tuned up 40 or a detuned 60, but from what you are saying its probably the detuned 60 - being 3 cylinder.
DT55 & DT65 were based on the same 3-cylinder motor, the 55 having smaller carbs, inlets, etc. The DT40 was a 2-cylinder, smaller capacity and older design.
Old 07 June 2010, 22:55   #15
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
May take a raincheck on the PTT, as I am not sure the guy really has all the bits and even if it is the right parts for the outboard.
He's not in Norfolk and called Dan is he?

Old 07 June 2010, 23:20   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
He's not in Norfolk and called Dan is he?

Quote:
A guy in Scotland says he has the rams, solenoids and motor to adapt to PTT for £430.
I don't think so
Old 07 June 2010, 23:35   #17
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
I don't think so
Oops, missed that bit!

Still, I've got an excuse. I'm not used to my bionic eyes yet

Old 08 June 2010, 08:05   #18

Whats the blue Ebay rib cover Club?
Old 08 June 2010, 09:03   #19
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Whats the blue Ebay rib cover Club?
The covers now sold here:-

http://ducksback.co.uk/

Extremely good value for money and lots of us have them.

Old 08 June 2010, 09:08   #20

I see, thanks. Looks good value. I keep mine garaged 'in the 'lock up' - Rodney!'
Going to take some pics of rollers later today.
Also looking for a seat back hoop.........