Old 27 May 2003, 20:14   #1

Town: ayia napa
Boat name: pantemonium
Make: novamarine
Length: 7m +
Engine: honda 225
Send a message via MSN to marios Send a message via Yahoo to marios
suzuki 140 4stoke

any advantages or disadvantages of suzuki 4 strokes?
Old 27 May 2003, 20:36   #2

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Various
Make: Commercial
Length: 10m +
Engine: Screw / Voith / Jets
Send a message via MSN to Alex Brown
the 140 is actually lighter than the 115 and 90 suzuki 4-stroke engines.

it's deadly quiet, and pretty good on fuel consumption.

starts first time everytime

-Alex
Old 27 May 2003, 20:45   #3

Town: Nr Wells, Somerset
Suzuki 4 Stroke

Hi Marios

One of the teams on Round Ireland 2002 used a Suzuki 140hp to circumnavigate Ireland in 7 days. They did complete it. You can read more at www.ribchallenge.co.uk about their journey. They had one slight snag but that was due to "dirty fuel" rather than the engine itself so its pretty reliable if you ask me.
Old 28 May 2003, 07:37   #4

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: X-RIB
Make: XS-600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115
Marios

I put a 115 hp on lto my BWM DS18 last year and am delighted with the low noise and inproved fuel consumption. It knocks the spots off my old Evinrude 90 V4.

Excellent support came from both the Dealer (Pacer Marine in Farnham) and directly from Suzuki themselves when we had an installation problem (our fault - we had used a non-Suzuki control box and the current rating of the PTT switch was not high enough). The Suzuki engineer even came out on the boat to do the fault finding at RIBEX last year. To me it's not just the engine it's the support as well and I think the Suzuki package is well worth it.

FYI, I understand that the 140 hp has lighter weight PTT mechanics to get the weight down.

Rgds
Nigel
Old 28 May 2003, 07:42   #5

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Hi Nigel
This may be daft question, whats does PTT stand for in this meaning?
I know it as Press To Talk- radios etc,
Rgds
Jelly
Old 28 May 2003, 07:44   #6

Town: Leatherhead
Jelly,

I think it stands for Power Trim & Tilt

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2003, 08:50   #7

Town: Bristol
Make: none
No disadvantages that I know of.

I have one fitted on BOB the yellow rib.

Its been getting some pretty intensive use of late for a lesuire rib and the engine has performed faultlessly.

Great acceleration, very quite, on tickover in the Marina you can easily forget it is going.

Power to Weight ratio is excellent for this class of four stroke.

Martin
mstacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2003, 09:19   #8

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
In a word - DOH!
Thanks should have known that
Jelly
Old 04 June 2003, 17:00   #9

Sorry to bring this thread back upto the top, but I am wondering if there is anyone else on this forum (apart from Martin Stacey) that has the subject mentioned Suzuki engine?

Reason is, that I am having a few problems with mine, one is a problem for sure, and the other (I hope) is just a niggle more than anything.
When running, either hot or cold, put it into reverse, and sometimes it will stop dead. It's like the engine is turning itself off. This has only happened twice when going into forward gear, but seems to be getting more frequent when going into reverse.
I was at our local Suzuki dealer yesterday, and they confirmed that the engine was running exactly as it should be - the revs when idling are spot on, and as far as they can tell, there is not a problem. They were reluctant to alter the idle revs, since at 40hrs, the engine is still running in (?!?!?!) - they'd be more inclined to adjust it at the 80hr service mark. So, in the mean time, as I come into the marina, or come into drive the boat onto the trailer, I have no way of telling whether it's going to die on me, as I try and stop - this so far has caused some embarrasing berthing movements.....
Also, I think this is more of a niggle, but I am failing to get anywhere over 5800revs. With 1 person on board, no tide, and light fuel load, I am maxing out at just over 38knots at 5800revs. Pile 4 adults on board, full fuel, and 5800revs once more, 38knots...... The prop is the default 21" x 14" ali prop that came with the engine. Apart from Martin, is the 6200rpm mark actually possible on the boat? - my rib isn't too much heavier than the ribcraft 5.85, so I can't understand a 400rev drop.
I'm just interested to know if anyone else has had this kind of experience (or problem), and if so what the solution was, before I ask Suzuki......

Thanks,

-Alex
Old 05 June 2003, 07:35   #10

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: X-RIB
Make: XS-600
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercury 115
Alex,
I mentioned earlier, I had had some problems after installation due to us fitting a non-Suzuki top mount control box. Is there anything in the engine installation that is non-standard Suzuki? The currents and technology that these 4 strokes use does seem to be a level up from older 2 stroke tchnology and our experience with the Dealer trying to fault find the Suzuki was that you have to revert to their standard installation to have a chance of finding these intermittent issues. The problem we had was unrelated to yours, however, so good luck in finding the solution.
Rgds
Nigel
Old 05 June 2003, 08:03   #11

Make: FB 55
There I was, standing on the pontoon at Mayflower Marina next to 'BOB' the boat. Just could not work out why water was peeing out the back of the Suzuki, then Martin casually told me the engine was running - quite extraordinary - not a sound was coming from it!
Old 05 June 2003, 11:51   #12

Hello Nigel,

Unfortunately everything is original Suzuki install from brand new, so I'd guess that rules most stuff out, unless there is perhaps an electronic problem in the control box itself - this is probably something only the local dealer might be able to check on.

Charles, yeah, it really is that quiet, and frighteningly so. I left the thing idling in the marina the other day, and a guy came up and asked me to start it so he could hear it.... he was pleasantly surprised to find out that it was already running. That is one of my problems (don't get me wrong, I like it quiet).... when it stalls, you don't know about it until you find that putting gearshift into reverse doesn't get you anything..... by the time you've restarted, it's too late and the pontoon has been shunted

Thanks,

-Alex
Old 05 June 2003, 12:15   #13

Town: Helston, Cornwall
Boat name: Silver Fern
Make: Rayglass Protector
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235024092
Send a message via AIM to gingercoastie Send a message via MSN to gingercoastie
Stalling Suzuki's

Alex,

I know nothing about engines and electrics etc., but is it possible to fit some sort of alarm for when it stalls?

Please excuse my ignorance if this is a stupid question.

Its all got to go - make me an offer...............

Skype - alexgreig
gingercoastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2003, 23:53   #14

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it does bleep at you when it stalls...... but in my case the whole thing just goes dead - I need to verify this with the manual though, and it's late now, so will check it tomorrow.

Thanks,

-Alex
Old 06 June 2003, 00:17   #15

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
ON my four stroke ( I don't like em by the way) I use the Rev counter to tell me if the engine is running, and yes it really is that quiet.
Old 06 June 2003, 12:34   #16
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
You don't like 4-strokes? Why not?

John
Old 06 June 2003, 12:55   #17
DM
RIBnet supporter

Boat name: Little Wing
Make: Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90
Quote:
Originally posted by John Kennett
You don't like 4-strokes? Why not?
Four strokes are brilliant engines. Quiet, economical, good to look at, easy to start, fume free, reliable and..........strictly for pensioners.

Mind you, as Humper celebrated his 51st this week, he should qualify.

As I have a bit of spare time at the moment, I'm lobbying my MP and Parliament for the removal of duty on marine petrol for leisure use. I've suggested that, to recoup some of the money that Mr. Brown would lose by doing this, he puts the duty on diesel instead.

DM
Old 06 June 2003, 13:25   #18

re 4 stroke I wouldn't buy one out of choice again.

Aesthetically (that's gotta be spelt wrong) i got into RIBS because despite my smooth and cultured exterior, inside me beats the heart of a Hairy Arsed Celt and 4 strokes are just too smooth for me.

I like the grunt, noise, smell (almost as good as creosote) and powersnap of a twostroke and that's it. I also use to like the fact that the technology was easier to fix, but those days are gone

I don't think two strokes are much less economical at full chat than 4 strokes and they all carry the same envoirenmental approvals. I have to be honest and say that I am a big time favourite of Optimax's I think they are a great engine.

I am as always prepared to change my opinion when faced with hard evidence so I am very interested in Whiteshoes consumption on his lovely new lump, but his initial report was a bit Stella (reassuringly expensive).

If I was going to buy a stroke it would be a Yammie and if I could afford it I'd be interested in a Yammie HPDI 2 stroke. But Opti's do offer good value

If either of you are down in Southampton call in and I'll try and prove mypoint on the water.

re my age.....Tell me about it, for a long time now I've been concious that I was the oldest person at gigs now I am the close to being the oldest personon the forum
Old 06 June 2003, 17:53   #19

Despite the problems with my suzuki 4-stroke, I still feel I made the right decision when moving from 2-stroke.

My last rib had a tohatsu 70hp 2-stroke attached to the back.... not the latest low emissions one - it was great, started first time every time, instant power when you wanted it, and didn't smoke much. But - it was noisy both in idling, and running. When idling you'd look back and see the whole engine shaking around, and could always hear the damn thing. Also, fuel consumption was good, or so I thought.

I spent ages toying with getting a 150 optimax, and eventually gave out and went to the 140 Suzuki instead. The Optimax is a heavy engine, so adding an aux engine onto the transom too would have made the entire setup pretty stern heavy (also, the cost was a fair bit greater). This Suzuki 4-Stroke weighs nothing in comparision, and best of all, uses less fuel than my previous 70hp 2-stroke on a fuel used per mile basis, and even better on idling. The 70hp I had was bolted onto the back of a 5m rib, which was quite light, and flew up onto the plane without a problem. Although the Suzuki is not performing to its max, the acceleration is still amazing, with pretty instant throttle response. Crusing along at 3000rpm, an increase to full throttle will bring the revs almost instantaneously upto 5800rpm. I will admit after watching a 150 Yamaha HPDI burn me off the other day, that the performance on that was much greater, but for me, the cost to get that engine wouldn't have paid off for the amount I use the boat.

Stuart, are you still likely to be down in this neck of the woods anytime soon? - let me know if you are..... the pontoons by the local pubs are starting to appear up and down the river now

-Alex
Old 06 June 2003, 18:47   #20

Yes Alex we are hopinng to start coming down next weekend then in a couple weeks time.

I think we will be based around Llangary boatyard.

To be honest a lot of people are beginning to reckon the Suzuki 4 strokes. The important thing is that you are happy with the engine that you bought, cos it's a bit like a wife really........expensive to replace if you are not happy.

To be honest my Honda has been extremely reliable and it recovered very well when I asked it to run on sea water in theRound Ireland Challenge. It just doesn't press my butons

Oi MANNING NO! Leave that diesel alone please, my future plans include diesel engines