Old 25 July 2009, 07:01   #11

Boat name: Bullfrog
Make: DSB - Osprey
Length: 5m +
Engine: Outboard, Petrol, 55
I assume my buzzer seems ok as it went off the other week when I had the motor running on the muffs (was flushing it out and had it on for around a minute when the alarm went off - Switched it off immediately).

We bought the boat last year and we had a few trips out before this problem cropped up - I'm not too sure if this was an underlying issue when I bought it.

I'm going out now to check/clean the float sensor and remove the thermostat and check there's no build up of salt deposits etc.
I'm just hoping I find something - I'll keep you informed!

Old 27 July 2009, 20:17   #12

I started by removing the thermostat - it was completely choked up with salt deposits. After removing and cleaning it I verified that it worked ok, which it did.
I removed and checked the overheat sensor - worked OK
I couldn't find the float switch (As my Suzuki Manual states it's a 'Start-Up Ignition Timing Sensor') but after checking on-line found that this was infact the Float Sensor. When removing it, I started to pull it out when it broke (I used a tiny amount of pressure but it just cracked).
It seemed to be very brittle (well I suppose after 9yrs of salt water passing around it what can you expect).
I ordered the part this afternoon.

I'lll keep you posted after the part arrives to whether or not this fixed the issue.

Thanks for the advice!
Steve.

Old 04 August 2009, 10:49   #13

The new Water Float Switch arrived today - This raises another issue that I'm hoping that you can give me some advice on.
My old switch definitely was defective as a part of it was missing . There's a fixed part of the sensor and a paddle bit that must detect the water flow - the paddle bit was missing when I took the old sensor from the engine.
Where could it be?? It's a fair chunk of plastic.
When I initially changed the impeller I did check for any obstructions in the water passages of the lower leg and could see nothing - so where could it be??
Surely the water passages around the engine are too small for a 1' x 0.5' piece of plastic to get lodged??????
Old 05 August 2009, 19:42   #14

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.N View Post
Where could it be??
Hang on, I'll have a look.....
Old 06 August 2009, 12:25   #15

This engine is now giving me a pain in the nuts!!!!

After checking all the water passages yesterday, I replaced the water flow senor and took the boat out today around Howth (Dublin).
She ran great, even in pretty choppy weather - cruising at 35kmph. We ran around for approx 2hrs - We went up the coast then back with no issues. UNTIL we went into Malahide Marina for a nosey at all the boats. We cruised around at between displacement speed to approx 2,500rpm. We came out and powered up to cruising speed - after 20-30secs the engine cut back to 4,500prm and would not rev anymore (there were no warning lights or buzzers).
I turned for Howth harbour and she cruised back at 4,500rpm doing approx 28kmph - it took 10mins to get back to the harbour.
The engine ran at this 4,500rpm for 10mins without missing a beat but wouldn't rev into it's power band of 5000-5500rpm.
When the throttle was pushed forward it did nothing.

To Date I've changed - Fuel filter, plugs, Oil flow sensor, Water flow sensor and Checked functionality of Thermostat and overheat sensor.
I've checked all wiring on motor, and added a water/fuel separator filter.

This is the same issue I've had since the start - Where do I go from now??? PLEASE HELP.
Old 06 August 2009, 14:29   #16

Make: ribcraft 7.85
Length: 7m +
Engine: 250 yam
i know., get 1 drum of petrol,pour it over the engine ,then add match standin well clear of course, watch your troubles melt away, needless to say im not having much luck either, thinkin of followin this procedure my self
Old 06 August 2009, 18:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribdraft View Post
i know., get 1 drum of petrol,pour it over the engine ,then add match standin well clear of course, watch your troubles melt away, needless to say im not having much luck either, thinkin of followin this procedure my self

Yeah I know the feeling!! For something so simple it seems so hard to diagnose this problem.
Not sure what's going on with it!! Thinking of taking the carbs off and checking them - grasping at straws now!!
Old 10 August 2009, 03:38   #18

Town: Bristol
Not sure if it is the same on the DT55 but on the DT85 there is a rotating plastic throttle position sensor that links the physical, mechanical position of the throttle to the electronic timing of the ignition.

This can get stuck and could need cleaning out and worn burrs removed.

It may be that the period of time pootling allowed the area to warm up a bit and then become a little sticky when you went out again after.

On the DT85 this was positioned on the left side as you stood behind the boat looking in just before the carbs.

Failing that I've had quite a lot of good advice from here:
http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

Orve
Old 11 August 2009, 01:39   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orville View Post
Not sure if it is the same on the DT55 but on the DT85 there is a rotating plastic throttle position sensor that links the physical, mechanical position of the throttle to the electronic timing of the ignition.

This can get stuck and could need cleaning out and worn burrs removed.

It may be that the period of time pootling allowed the area to warm up a bit and then become a little sticky when you went out again after.

On the DT85 this was positioned on the left side as you stood behind the boat looking in just before the carbs.

Failing that I've had quite a lot of good advice from here:
http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

Orve

I was reading the manual last-night (that's how obsessed I'm becoming reading a service manual in bed) and was planning on checking the Throttle Position sensor next. I've just asked the Marine Doctor for his advice - Fingers crossed that I can get closure on this!!
Oh, just incase anyone is following this saga to solve their own problem - I also hi-jacked another thread (Power loss... - Sorry Blackroady!!), there's more advice there.
Made a few adjustments yesterday (see the Powerloss thread), so will take her out on Wednesday for another test-run.

Thanks everyone for their input so-far, this has been the best learning curve to learn about the workings of an outboard - But I want the curve to end now