Old 14 March 2005, 11:12   #1

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
Stupid Question re Grease Gun

I have a quicksilver grease gun with cartidges, detatchable tube and nozzle. I have never used a grease gun (yes, go on, laugh ). I tried to get it to work over the weekend and ended up with grease everywhere. Please can somoeoone tell me what I have to do to get it right. The cartriges have a foil top and the gun has a plunger in the bottom, and a spring depressable handle.

Thank you for bearing with the stupidest question yet!

Bruce
Old 14 March 2005, 11:52   #2

Town: Bangor,Co Down
Make: Gemini/ Avon
Length: 4m +
Greasegun

Hello Bruce,
Had the same problem and after using about two tubes I devised my own method.Apparently these guns are supposed to be filled by unscrewing the nozzle cap off,inserting the grease tube and sucking the grease out of the tube by drawing on the plunger whilst opening the small air nipple beside the nozzle.It didn't work for me.

Instead I removed the plunger by unscrewing the end cap and using a wooden spatula which I stole from the cutlery drawer,I spooned the grease into the gun and when I could get no more in I poked a hole through the grease with a coat hanger in order to release the airlock which inevitably builds up thus allowing me to get more grease into the gun.I filled it about threequarters and put the plunger back in,released the air bleed nipple to allow any remaining air out and it has worked okay so far
Old 15 March 2005, 09:14   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Bruce, which one do you have ?

The little one is a disaster as its difficult to get enough pressure to push the grease in. The second one with the pistol grip needs priming first time out or when you change a grease cartridge by squeezing the living daylights out of the grease tube. Pretend its the neck of a jetski hooligan

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4367_reg Grease Gun.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	2.5 KB
ID:	10795   Click image for larger version

Name:	4366_reg Grease Gun.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	10796  
Old 15 March 2005, 13:11   #4

Town: Lymington
Boat name: Farfetched
Make: Solent Ribs
Engine: 150hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235021048
little mother. Please expalin - slowly, for a total beginner. I have never held / used a grease gun before. I have limited engineering skill, so please tell exactly the assembly and then usage proceedure. I am sorry to be dim.
Old 15 March 2005, 14:08   #5

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Bruce you sure are.........

........glutton for punishment. However and again, don't feel too bad, I bet you there ain't a man amongst us who hasn't struggled with a grease gun before now. Last year a chap approached me whilst I was working on my boat and asked if I had a grease gun he could use. I passed mine across only to find him back within 5 minutes advising me it didn't seem to work.

After assisting further we got chatting and I asked what he did for a living. He flew 747's long out of LHR and that really does take brains. So Bruce - join the club mate, we've all been there, just keep practising and have lots of paper towels and rubber gloves handy.
Old 15 March 2005, 14:22   #6

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/...easeguns.shtml all you need to know and more es
Old 15 March 2005, 14:47   #7

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucehawsker
little mother. Please expalin - slowly, for a total beginner. I have never held / used a grease gun before. I have limited engineering skill, so please tell exactly the assembly and then usage proceedure. I am sorry to be dim.
Hate to say this, but chuck it in the bin and buy the other one or another type. The little one just isn't up to it if you need to fill a wheel bearing or something with a lot of grease.

However the other one works nicely and can be operated with one hand, you will need the other hand to hold the nozzle onto the grease nipple as the nozzle can jump off when you least expect it. Bit tricky to prime so having removed the foil on the grease tube or cut the nozzle off down to the threads if it has one, fit and then prime the pump by squeezing the grrease tube and pumping the trigger at the same time. You will feel when the pump grips the grease as it gets stiff (steady Louise) keep going and grease will come out of the nozzle. Clean the grease nipple before putting any new grease in or you just inject muck into it.

Pete