Old 20 January 2006, 20:47   #1

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
strange question maybe...the fuel priming bulb

has anyone experience of if it is ok to fit the fuel priming bulb nearer the tank at the front of a boat rather than near the engine?

currently i have it mounted in the transom box but i am thinking of moving it to the base of the console just after the water filter. It would then have about a 12 ft run to the engine.

as it is used for priming the engine it will still be able to do this but would also prime 12 ft of fuel pipe rather than 5 ft of pipe, which to me would not seem to be a problem

but just wondered if anyone has any experience of this or has any issues it causes
Old 20 January 2006, 21:13   #2

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
it generally goes at the back cos thats the easiest place to get to and it's where the filter is usually mounted. I don't see a problem with having it mounted further away from the transom from a fuel supply point of view but i do see safety isues. You want the fuel filter to be away from the console similarly you don't want any pipe joins ( and the inherent risk of joint failure/vapour emmision) any where near electrics which 12 feet forrard of the transom is.

You also need easy access to the bulb and your fuel cock in case you have to drain your filter and prime it it's good to have everything together. We monted the 2 stroke, fuel filter and priming bulb in the rear seat console on our Scorp that was discreet and easy enough to use.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2006, 01:03   #3

Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
I always thought the closer to the tank the better - purely from a mechanical operation of the bulb point of view. The less pipe and obstructions between the bulb and the tank the less work the bulb has to do to "pull" fuel from the tank when expanding after you have squeezed it.

Whilst on the topic of fuel bulbs - how many people actually ever have to pump theirs.

I have not pumped my fuel bulb since the day I left the factory when collecting my boat and the engine has started on the button every time.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2006, 08:05   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse

Whilst on the topic of fuel bulbs - how many people actually ever have to pump theirs.

I have not pumped my fuel bulb since the day I left the factory when collecting my boat and the engine has started on the button every time.

Every time-but my tanks come out after use and I drain the fuel lines.

Makes no odds where you put the bulb-you'll still have to prime the whole line anyway if it's empty. If it's got fuel as far as the bulb you might have to pump it a few more times though so if you have to change tanks while out it could be a bit of a pain.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2006, 08:42   #5

Town: River Hamble
Length: 6m +
Putting it closer to the tank makes it much more effective at getting the fuel through the piping. Just make sure you use a descent primer bulb avoid TEMPO!!
Old 21 January 2006, 08:44   #6

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
cheers for all the replies

reason for all this is i want the rear around the engine to be as clutter free as possible from pipes and cables, will post a pic on my build thread to show what it is i am trying to achieve...

to me logically it made no difference where the bulb would be but i wanted to check first as you never know.

i will install it under the console which will have access so wont be a problem

one concern i do have is everything is under the console, fuel, electrics, electronics, batterys etc etc but in talking to a few folks then they say this is the same for a lot of boats

just have to make sure all fuel lines are checked regular i guess for cracking and leaks

cheers all