Town: Orkney
Boat name: Skylark
Make: Bombard 500
Length: 5m +
Engine: 60hp Yamaha outboard
MMSI: 235091893
Storing aux engine off transom

Hello all

Any suggestions / comments on storing a small (eg 3.5 hp Tohatsu / Mariner etc) aux engine not on the transom when not in use?

I ask as irrespective of the bracket issues, when it's just me (and the dog!) in the boat, the trim is not that great anyway due to the weight already at the back. Rib is Bombard 5m - as on profile pics.

Thus I was thinking of strong the aux further forward to help, maybe even in a specially designed wooden case forward to protect it.

And are there problems if stored horizontally anyway?

Equally, I'm keen to avoid loose / more stuff in the boat.

Plus would another 17kg or so make that much difference on the transom anyway re trim.

Ideas / experiences welcomed

Many thanks

Steve
Old 20 August 2012, 12:49   #2
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
two stroke or 4?
Old 20 August 2012, 12:57   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
I have been storing mine under the jockey for the last wee while, because when I had the hull refurbished and the thru' hull bolts that used to hold the A- frame onto the floor were replaced by a bracket and a smooth hull, the rest of the frame also raised by about an inch and the tow eyes now foul my aux clamp bracket.

I am in the middle of (literally) sawing up an old clamp bracket to allow it to go back on the transom, but at 15Kg you are only 4KG heavier than mine, and to put none to fine a point on it, moving the spare fuel tank back to allow me to lash the aux somewhere secure (under the jockey) was worse than Aux on the transom & fuel at the stern.

Other thing about being under a seat / in a box etc is you can bet your house that the day you need to deploy it will be in the 2m short sharp swell that means you are more likely to follow it over the side than get it clamped on the transom.

Biggest problem (rapid deployment aside) with it under the seat is that if I don't remember to empty the carbs I get an nice oil slick after the petrol evaporates (and at 15KG I guess yours might be a 2- stroke too?)

My aux will be back on the transom soon and the spare fuel tank returned to it's hole under the seat.
Old 20 August 2012, 13:42   #4
Dhf

Length: no boat
[QUOTE=9D280;482575]
Other thing about being under a seat / in a box etc is you can bet your house that the day you need to deploy it will be in the 2m short sharp swell that means you are more likely to follow it over the side than get it clamped on the transom.

Must agree with that comment.
I think it's also good practise to fire up the aux before every outing to make sure all okay. no point getting out there to find it won't start.
Plus all the slaming that can occure closer to the bow, probably would'nt do the aux much good after a while.
Old 20 August 2012, 23:58   #5
RIBnet supporter

4 stroke - thanks
Old 21 August 2012, 00:08   #6
SPR

Town: Central Belt of Scotland
Boat name: Puddleduck III
Make: Bombard
Engine: 50 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copinsay
4 stroke - thanks
I would echo everybody - back of transome, start before each trip.

if you must store it I would advise must be vertical on a bracket maybe behind a seat! and with big bit of chain for installing when you need it.

S.
Old 21 August 2012, 06:50   #7

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Ive used various methods over quite a few years. I always had a system of tetherting it over the A frame as it was deployed, tried and tested in all weathers and worked perfectly. The issue really is about position for A: weight distrubution B: security so it wont rattle free whilst the boat bounces about and C: protection from being swamped by inboard water.

One of my last boats (5.8m) had it installed up in the bow, just aft of the bow locker. Bit of a pain in the ass with deck space getting used, but the power head was well sealed, and I'd used some flat foam fenders and cut out a profile for it to sit in, then bonded them together, so it had a perfectly snug fit then I installed 3 U bolts on the deck for it to be lashed down with ratchet straps, yet easily released. The weight up front made this hull really work well. Any water taken in pretty much goes aft fairly rapidly, and the bilge pumps get rid, or if it was a likely factor the trunks would be down anyway, and I never had any problems, the motor was a 6, 4 stroke.

Correct support was essential in this regard, because those staps could put a lot of 'pull' on the motor, and over doing it could lead to a whole new world of hurt. Ive had them standing upright bolted th jockey seat backs, lashed at the stern etc, but the method described above was probably the best on that occasion
Old 27 August 2012, 20:23   #8
RIBnet supporter

Hi there Bigmuz... thanks for that - will need to investigate the various options to balance the advantages / constraints.

Will try to see if I can get one to borrow to see how the transom weight goes.

Many thanks for your help

Have fun and stay safe

Steve
Old 27 August 2012, 20:48   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
That said my current 4 stroke 4 HP is on my transom on a 5.4m boat and works fine, but the problem I'm having at the moment with it is that its quite far offset and it makes the boat quite hard to steer especially in heavier seas ... As allways .. Ive used it in anger to simulate the day I hope I never need it, and whatever you decide .. make sure you do this .. on a really bad day out too .. its an excellent test to reveal the weakneses in your methods, and gives you more confidence in your kit and the security of your crew. Well .. it does for me in the waters I cruise in the North Minch anyway where the weather is extremely changeable
Old 28 August 2012, 08:31   #10
RIBnet supporter

Thanks Bigmuz - will let you know how I get on.

Hopefully by us planning for these things we hope to never use, we will never use them :o) Like carrying flares!

Best wishes

Steve
Old 28 August 2012, 21:55   #11

Town: Sheffield
Boat name: Fluffy
Make: Northcraft, Ribquest
Length: 6m +
Engine: Out 135 Mercuary
Mine is always on transom and started each time I leave for about 10 mins to motor out of port.

Had to use it 3 times in 4 years. Once it saved me from hitting rocks. Would never have had time to mount if it was stowed.

I have it connected to main and res tanks too so no chance of running out of juice.

D
Old 29 August 2012, 06:41   #12

Town: Norfolk/Suffolk Borders
Make: no boat
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by starnetman2001 View Post
Mine is always on transom and started each time I leave for about 10 mins to motor out of port.

Had to use it 3 times in 4 years. Once it saved me from hitting rocks. Would never have had time to mount if it was stowed.

I have it connected to main and res tanks too so no chance of running out of juice.

D
Given that contaminated fuel may be a cause for primary engine failure , many folk prefer to keep secondary back-ups with completely seperate fuel supplies ! I'm guessing that the main objective of an auxillary is to get out of trouble , or limp back to safety rather than to continue the cruise .

I agree with keeping it on the transom and regularly starting her up though .
Old 29 August 2012, 07:32   #13
RIBnet supporter

Hello D and all

Thanks for that - my thoughts were also to keep it fully self contained too, so thanks for the confirmation also.

Best wishes

Steve
Old 29 August 2012, 18:15   #14

Town: Mallorca
Boat name: Amaroo
Make: Jeanneau & Seago 2.6
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard 200hp & 4hp
MMSI: 235104224
Here is mine sitting there ready to go, separate fuel, and I steer with the main engine down when using it like a rudder. I have used it in anger, and simply made for the safety of the shoreline rather than a get me home. Glad I have it it though, as I once didn't, and that was embarrassing flagging down a tow 200ft from the end of the slip way!

"By skill not force."
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote