Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 June 2009, 17:50   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - N Ireland
Length: 6m +
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 12
Steering fuid leaked - Yamaha 150

Hi Guys, anyone any tips on adding new hydraulic fluid to a yamaha 150 4 stroke unit. the fluid has leaked out of where the hydraulic pipes met the ram, so i used ptfe tape and refitted them a bit tighter. now there is little fluid left and the engine doenst move when you turn the wheel
__________________

__________________
johnboym3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2009, 19:12   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
The hydraulic steering fluid goes into the helm unit - should be a knurled cap on the top just forward of the steering wheel.
__________________

__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 June 2009, 19:34   #3
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboym3 View Post
Hi Guys, anyone any tips on adding new hydraulic fluid to a yamaha 150 4 stroke unit. the fluid has leaked out of where the hydraulic pipes met the ram, so i used ptfe tape and refitted them a bit tighter. now there is little fluid left and the engine doenst move when you turn the wheel
Yes, oil goes into the helm normally. You'll have to fit an adaptor to the oil fill plug and connect a tube to a clean container which you fill with Hyd oil. Then it's a case of opening the bleed valves at the Ram and turning the wheel to flush the air out.

BTW it's bad practise to use PTFE tape on hydraulic systems (the PTFE tape can get into the oil system and clogg valves etc). Do it as a last resort by all means but proper liquid thread sealent is the best way to go.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2009, 05:03   #4
DJL
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 929
Instructions for SeaStar systems: http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/PDFs/296784-AB_47-51.pdf

Instructions for BayStar systems: http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/PDFs/764600-H_10-12.pdf
__________________
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 June 2009, 22:33   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Length: 5m +
Engine: OMC Mod50
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 398
the tape is not the right fix for steerin.
Quote:
proper liquid thread sealent is the best way to go.
only way.
__________________
fast fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2009, 12:01   #6
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,653
If you removed the hoses from the steering ram, you need to bleed the system (air will compress rather than move the ram.) The links to the Seastar manuals will have the procedure.

Teflon tape is discouraged from hydraulics because bits get sheared off on assembly and may find their way into the valves and things in the system. If it's already on, you may or may not have the bits of tape loose in the system already - I'd leave it until you have a problem. Most likely, it'll be fine. If you redo it, use a paste-type sealant, and flush the old fluid out pretty thoroughly.

jky
__________________
jyasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2009, 03:52   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 693
Apologies for thread creap, but can you strip and replace the seals etc on the seastar/baystar units if you did need to?
I was warned that one manufacturer you couldn't. I did it on my Lecomb & Smitt as fitted by RedBay after a few springs in the swash pump in the helm unit gave up.
Rgds
James
__________________
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2009, 04:32   #8
DJL
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
but can you strip and replace the seals etc on the seastar/baystar units if you did need to?
They sell seal kits for the cylinders and helm units - you can download the instructions at http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/SHARE...PDF_files.htm&

I'm not sure they sell spare parts beyond that.
__________________
DJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2009, 04:51   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
bedajim's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
If you removed the hoses from the steering ram, you need to bleed the system (air will compress rather than move the ram.) The links to the Seastar manuals will have the procedure.

Teflon tape is discouraged from hydraulics because bits get sheared off on assembly and may find their way into the valves and things in the system. If it's already on, you may or may not have the bits of tape loose in the system already - I'd leave it until you have a problem. Most likely, it'll be fine. If you redo it, use a paste-type sealant, and flush the old fluid out pretty thoroughly.

jky
That's what Hightower said
__________________
bedajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2009, 04:52   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 693
Hi Dave
thanks for the link, looks like they only sell cylinder seal kits for some units and not helm.
Many thanks
James
__________________

__________________
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.