Old 01 June 2009, 21:50   #1

Length: 6m +
Steering fuid leaked - Yamaha 150

Hi Guys, anyone any tips on adding new hydraulic fluid to a yamaha 150 4 stroke unit. the fluid has leaked out of where the hydraulic pipes met the ram, so i used ptfe tape and refitted them a bit tighter. now there is little fluid left and the engine doenst move when you turn the wheel
Old 01 June 2009, 23:12   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
The hydraulic steering fluid goes into the helm unit - should be a knurled cap on the top just forward of the steering wheel.
Old 01 June 2009, 23:34   #3

Town: Fareham
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboym3 View Post
Hi Guys, anyone any tips on adding new hydraulic fluid to a yamaha 150 4 stroke unit. the fluid has leaked out of where the hydraulic pipes met the ram, so i used ptfe tape and refitted them a bit tighter. now there is little fluid left and the engine doenst move when you turn the wheel
Yes, oil goes into the helm normally. You'll have to fit an adaptor to the oil fill plug and connect a tube to a clean container which you fill with Hyd oil. Then it's a case of opening the bleed valves at the Ram and turning the wheel to flush the air out.

BTW it's bad practise to use PTFE tape on hydraulic systems (the PTFE tape can get into the oil system and clogg valves etc). Do it as a last resort by all means but proper liquid thread sealent is the best way to go.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 June 2009, 09:03   #4
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Instructions for SeaStar systems: http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/PDFs/296784-AB_47-51.pdf

Instructions for BayStar systems: http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/PDFs/764600-H_10-12.pdf
Old 10 June 2009, 02:33   #5

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Length: 5m +
Engine: OMC Mod50
the tape is not the right fix for steerin.
Quote:
proper liquid thread sealent is the best way to go.
only way.
Old 10 June 2009, 16:01   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If you removed the hoses from the steering ram, you need to bleed the system (air will compress rather than move the ram.) The links to the Seastar manuals will have the procedure.

Teflon tape is discouraged from hydraulics because bits get sheared off on assembly and may find their way into the valves and things in the system. If it's already on, you may or may not have the bits of tape loose in the system already - I'd leave it until you have a problem. Most likely, it'll be fine. If you redo it, use a paste-type sealant, and flush the old fluid out pretty thoroughly.

jky
Old 11 June 2009, 07:52   #7

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Apologies for thread creap, but can you strip and replace the seals etc on the seastar/baystar units if you did need to?
I was warned that one manufacturer you couldn't. I did it on my Lecomb & Smitt as fitted by RedBay after a few springs in the swash pump in the helm unit gave up.
Rgds
James
Old 11 June 2009, 08:32   #8
DJL

Make: Ribcraft 6.5
Engine: Suzuki DF175TG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
but can you strip and replace the seals etc on the seastar/baystar units if you did need to?
They sell seal kits for the cylinders and helm units - you can download the instructions at http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/SHARE...PDF_files.htm&

I'm not sure they sell spare parts beyond that.
Old 11 June 2009, 08:51   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
If you removed the hoses from the steering ram, you need to bleed the system (air will compress rather than move the ram.) The links to the Seastar manuals will have the procedure.

Teflon tape is discouraged from hydraulics because bits get sheared off on assembly and may find their way into the valves and things in the system. If it's already on, you may or may not have the bits of tape loose in the system already - I'd leave it until you have a problem. Most likely, it'll be fine. If you redo it, use a paste-type sealant, and flush the old fluid out pretty thoroughly.

jky
That's what Hightower said
Old 11 June 2009, 08:52   #10

Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Hi Dave
thanks for the link, looks like they only sell cylinder seal kits for some units and not helm.
Many thanks
James
Old 11 June 2009, 15:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
That's what Hightower said
True, he did, but I wanted to make clear that the tape is not incompatible with the hydraulic fluid; it's the possibility of sheared off pieces that are the problem.

jky
Old 11 June 2009, 17:20   #12

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
BTW it's bad practise to use PTFE tape on hydraulic systems (the PTFE tape can get into the oil system and clogg valves etc). Do it as a last resort by all means but proper liquid thread sealent is the best way to go.
Unless it is a parallel thread, in which case a (dowty) bonded seal is the answer

Cheers

Chris
Old 17 July 2009, 16:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly View Post
Hi Dave
thanks for the link, looks like they only sell cylinder seal kits for some units and not helm.
Many thanks
James
Late reply, sorry.

Seastar Helm seal kit (for most single station helms) is HS5176. Includes a body gasket, a shaft seal, and several O-rings. Price is around $50 US, as far as I can tell.

You can also get just the shaft seal alone (Quad ring seal, 3/4"ID, 1"OD) for a buck or two. Seastar Seal part number is 225226.

Most (but not all) steering cylinders are now using HS5157, which includes the 2 glands, some new O-rings for the nipples and hoses, a wrench, and a, insertions guide tool. Around $100 US.

Quite a few people in the US are suggesting taking the old seals to a local hydraulic shop and having them match seals. Saves money, I suppose. I do not advocate this (for my safety), but am only putting it out there as an option.

jky