Old 18 June 2011, 18:26   #1

Town: Tenby
Boat name: O.C.D.
Make: Highfield
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 100
Steering: cable vs Hydraulic

Hi,

My local sailing club has 4 ribs, all currently with cable steering, one of them is getting very stiff and needs replacing.

I know that hydraulic steering is better for the larger outboards and i have it for my twin setup but for outboards no bigger than 40 HP is it worth the extra cash? Currently we are lucky if the cable steering lasts 3 seasons before needing to be replaced.

As the boat we are looking to replace the steering on is the main one (used 4 days a week, Apr to Sep & through to Dec once a week), i thought its the ideal guinea pig to go down the hrydraulic route.

Am i just wasting money thinking of hydraulic for a 40hp or will it out last 2 sets of cable steering and be a lot smoother in the mean time??

Cheers
Old 18 June 2011, 20:24   #2

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Hi

It will outlast the cable without question. You can replace the pipes, fluid etc which services it giving it a longer lifespan.

The other option is to fit the (steering saver) to replace the brass securing nut. The benefit of that is you can get grease into the cable to keep it free and easy as it has a grease nipple! Around £50 to buy.

I'd say that may be a better option on such a size motor but then again the handling will improve significantly with "power steering"

P.s I have a very good used kit available for just £250. Costs over £700 new and it's not had much usage. Worth considering if you do switch to hydraulic.

Hope that helps

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 19 June 2011, 01:25   #3

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
All you need to keep cable steering happy is a bit of grease/WD40 and regular use. My old Humber had cable, I am pretty sure it would have been the original cable so 10 yrs old when I sold it and no problems in the 4yrs I had it. I used to grease it every couple of months and a squirt of WD40 on the bit that was exposed to the elements.

The new one is hydraulic because that is what Osprey fit, but I'd have no reservations about a rib with cable steering as long as it wasn't knackered when I got it.

Hydraulic is more precise but also needs more turns lock to lock - swings and roundabouts really.

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 15:59   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
The other option is to fit the (steering saver) to replace the brass securing nut. The benefit of that is you can get grease into the cable to keep it free and easy as it has a grease nipple!
Can you? I thought the grease fitting was to get grease into the steering tube, rather than the cable. Last I looked, the Teleflex cables were completely sealed, and it wasn't possible to get lube into them.

May be completely off on this; going from memory of research for a friend, as I have a hydraulic system on my boat.

jky
Old 22 June 2011, 16:54   #5

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki

Can you? I thought the grease fitting was to get grease into the steering tube, rather than the cable. Last I looked, the Teleflex cables were completely sealed, and it wasn't possible to get lube into them.

May be completely off on this; going from memory of research for a friend, as I have a hydraulic system on my boat.

jky
It's the cable running through the tube that normally fails. The actual "cable" running between that and the helm is sealed thus rarely fails unless it's sitting in a well etc with splits or damage to let water in... From my experience anyway.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 23 June 2011, 01:12   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Thanks, Peter; I'll file that one away.

jky
Old 23 June 2011, 14:47   #7

Town: Northampton
Make: RibTec
Engine: Outbaord mariner 75
Cable steering

Hi My cable steering lasted 12 years on my rib before it needed replacing.
and the only reason it needed replacing was neglect on my part.
Keep the cable well greased and dont spare on the WD-40 and it should be good for years.