alt

Town: Galway, West Eire
Make: Cranchi
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2 x Volvo KAD300
Send a message via MSN to alt
Squeak from KAD32 supercharger

Calling all Volvo guru's...

Just noticed today, about 10 seconds after the supercharger engages there is a squeaking noise coming from the area.

It sounds like a bird tweeting, tweeting for a half second, then stops for a half second, squeaks for a half second and so on....

I inspected the belt, all of them infact and they look quite new and healthy and not too loose or tight. I thought that maybe the belt was squeaking under pressure, or could this be the supercharger clutch slipping?
Old 09 April 2007, 21:05   #2

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
If it is when the engine is under load, eg when the power is on, then i would say check the tension of your main drive belt - sounds like it is coming from the comp, but might not be - mine was quite fond of shredding the main drive belt now and again, so remem a spare.

tension is pretty high on these belts, so dont be to shy with your 15 ml spanner and 14ml socket - takes about a minute to tighten, and is a cheap 1st check.

pete
Old 09 April 2007, 21:09   #3
alt

Hi Pete,
Happens both when engine is under load, and revving high in neutral.

Do you recommend that I check the comp belt? I haven't have a good look, is it tightened with a spanner/socket? If so, how tight? Or just 'damn tight'?
Old 09 April 2007, 22:02   #4

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Calling all Volvo guru's...

Just noticed today, about 10 seconds after the supercharger engages there is a squeaking noise coming from the area.

It sounds like a bird tweeting, tweeting for a half second, then stops for a half second, squeaks for a half second and so on....

I inspected the belt, all of them infact and they look quite new and healthy and not too loose or tight. I thought that maybe the belt was squeaking under pressure, or could this be the supercharger clutch slipping?
Hi Alt,
I have had 6 KAD32's in various boats all of which have needed belt's tweeking but i would say if the noise is on off all the time then change the clutch assembly complete (not to bigger cost £65 approx) Just a thought the charger does make a phut noise when it go's off boost @ 1500rpm ish but that is the norm or has been with all of mine. Also make sure you dont have any air leak's on the supercharger as that could also be a problem. It is always a good idea to carry spare belts & a complete clutch kit if you use the boat on any long distance trips as 'can go wrong will go wrong' applys but if you buy the gear it probably wont that's my expirence.
Regards Mike.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 April 2007, 22:19   #5
alt

Mike - My thoughts are to change all the belts and the clutch for peace of mind
Old 09 April 2007, 22:35   #6

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
ref to mikes answer - try replacing the clutch, i have had 5 KAD engines, and never come across this - as yet - but is worth a try, and is not to expensive as mike has had a few 32's then he will know.

belt i was referring to mind was the main drive belt, not the comp belt squeeking - when i got my 1st kad 44 i thought it was the cluth/bearing/alternator - all it was was the tension on the belt - they do tend to stretch, and have changed many that look fine, but are stretched, over time to their limit and need a new one-
You should be able to tell, by seeiing how close the tension pulley is to the actual 'flywheel' (not right word)
my sad test was that if you did not have enough room to get your 15mm ring spanner off, once you tensioned it up, then time to change....

Pete
Old 15 April 2007, 21:34   #7

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
Service kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt View Post
Mike - My thoughts are to change all the belts and the clutch for peace of mind
Hi Alt,
Volvo do a service kit complete for the KAD32 includes all belt filters ect but not the clutch, worth getting & carrying on board at all times. When i ran 2 KAD42 in a 40 footer for 18 months i carried one & it helped me out on lots of occasions (usually mid channel-middle of the night-rough) Supercharger belts used to go for a past time!(big boat for outdrives,14ton so a bit over stressed). Small box easy to store cant remember how much though.
Cheers Mike.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2007, 23:10   #8
alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Hi Alt,
Volvo do a service kit complete for the KAD32 includes all belt filters ect but not the clutch, worth getting & carrying on board at all times. When i ran 2 KAD42 in a 40 footer for 18 months i carried one & it helped me out on lots of occasions (usually mid channel-middle of the night-rough) Supercharger belts used to go for a past time!(big boat for outdrives,14ton so a bit over stressed). Small box easy to store cant remember how much though.
Cheers Mike.
Hi Mike, thank's for the comment. I spotted a bit of black 'dust' on top of the engine today, I reckon a belt is on it's way out, so going to order a complete belt kit this week.
Old 17 April 2007, 22:00   #9

Town: sheffield
Boat name: barracuda
Make: Humber 7.6 mts
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200HP mercury
re supercharger

i had a kad32 serviced by a main dealer Ex lesure(went bust last lear)
they forgot to check/replace the oil in the supercharger and it squealed and stoped working at high revs,
worth checking the access for the dipstick is a bolt on top of the charger. if you did not know its there youd miss it

just thought it would be worth checking
thanks
stephen
now gone back to a outboard as do a lot of beach launching.
Old 17 April 2007, 22:15   #10
alt

I changed the oil only 2 weeks ago but will check the levels next time im at the boat, thanks for the suggestion
Old 18 May 2007, 15:19   #11
alt

So I bought a kit online (All genuine parts) which I thought included all belts. So off I went this morning and changes the alternator, servo and supercharger belt. Fired her up, let the belts and engine warm up and re checked how tight the belts were. Engaged supercharger and still a squeal!

Then I discover the CIRCULATION BELT! ARGH!

I gave it a feel (ooh er!) and it's almost shot! You can belt in between the rib's, I estimate there's less than 10 hours left on her. I reckon that this is where the squeal is coming from. It's very hard to pinpoint it but it doesn't seem to be coming from the charger. So now I have to order the circulation belt, and un-do all the work I done earlier!

Rant over! (Fingers crossed it is that belt - either way it needs changing, not going to run the engine again until I get a new one)

Oh well I rang the 'local' dealer (60 miles away!) and he has one so it's just a matter of getting up early tomorrow, driving lots and then doing all the work all over again.. Finger's crossed it's the problem!
Old 28 August 2008, 09:20   #12

Town: Brighton
Boat name: Sarnia
Make: Sealine
Length: 8m +
Engine: KAD32
Hi there, did you ever find the reason for the squeaking KAD32? I've got the same and wondering which belt it is? It's not necessarily the compressor belt as you were finding out when the thread stopped.

With many thanks,

Paul.