Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 16 May 2009, 22:37   #1

Length: 6m +
Speedo not working at slow speed

Can anyone tell me where to clean on the engine to make the speedo work better?
i had the boat out of the water the other night and power hosed it all down. afterwards the speedo was perfect for about half an hour, but now i need to be going 10 mph or more for it to work. its a yam 4 stroke 150
Old 17 May 2009, 07:12   #2

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Not sure on the later Yams but earlier ones had a tiny hole which picked up water pressure on the front on the gearcase and fed it to the gauge, easy to block with debris. Should be a small platic tube coming out the top of the geabox which can be disconnected and blown through.

Pete
Old 17 May 2009, 09:13   #3

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
JOHNBOY hello , firstly HOW old is this engine ? If it is a NEW model there has been a SERVICE recall on the SPEEDO AND WATER SENSORS . these engine now run on the digital network and not anologe anymore so the water comes up from the gearbox thru the peto tube into the sensor (NOT INTO THE BACK OF THE GAUGE ). Now we have had alot of problems with these sensors leaking and causing us engineers alot of headaches with the amount of salt being sprayed around the engine AND CAUSING wiring to corrode away causing more bits on the engine to stop working ? Let me know the serial number and I will tell you straight away if your engine is affected . cheers
Old 18 May 2009, 16:22   #4

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
If not what OBT said, usually a piece of solid wire or similar shoved into the pitot hole will clear it out (you can find the pitot hole by running your fingernail up the leading edge of the lower unit; when it snags, look closely and you'll see a tiny hole there.)

jky
Old 01 June 2009, 21:58   #5

Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by outboardtech View Post
JOHNBOY hello , firstly HOW old is this engine ? If it is a NEW model there has been a SERVICE recall on the SPEEDO AND WATER SENSORS . these engine now run on the digital network and not anologe anymore so the water comes up from the gearbox thru the peto tube into the sensor (NOT INTO THE BACK OF THE GAUGE ). Now we have had alot of problems with these sensors leaking and causing us engineers alot of headaches with the amount of salt being sprayed around the engine AND CAUSING wiring to corrode away causing more bits on the engine to stop working ? Let me know the serial number and I will tell you straight away if your engine is affected . cheers
thanks for the info, where do i find the serial number?
Old 02 June 2009, 20:39   #6

Town: Surrey
Length: no boat
on the transom bracket at the top . were the engine bolts onto the boat there is a plate with the numbers on .
Old 18 June 2009, 09:03   #7

Town: Brixham
Boat name: no name
Make: no name
Length: 5m +
Engine: no name
My speedo gauge tilt and fuel readings on my 2007 yama F115 4-stroke also show wrong readings....tank gauge is always empty, tilt is always fully up and speedo is dodgy below 10 mph.

It is still under warranty until end of July...is this an inherent problem for yama gauges?