Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Spare parts for old style two stroke engines

Does anyone know will it be possible to get spare parts for a convertional two stroke engines in the future. I would think that Tohatsu will stick to the old technolgy for a while as I believe that they sell a lot of engines into poorer counties but I think that a lot of the engine manifactures are leaving the two stroke market all together
Old 21 February 2008, 21:33   #2

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
i think manufacturers have to keep spares available for 7 years after they have discontinued an engine .
thing is Are the engines discontinued or just not on sale here . If its a really popular engine then parts will available for years i would guess as its in the manufacturers interest to keep selling them
Old 21 February 2008, 21:46   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Lets put it this way...Parts for a 1967 Mercury Redband are still available. The USA has so many engines etc in use there that at worst we'll be able to get stuff from there.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2008, 09:38   #4

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post
thing is Are the engines discontinued or just not on sale here
It's an EU Emissions ruling that only applies to Leisure craft, so you can still buy 2-strokes (or more accurately engines with "nasty emissions" )if you are for business use. As Mick says, the rest of the world is not a problem. (Tho' I suspect California might want you to row if their automotive rules are anything to go by?) I guess the "traditional or not" decision will be down the the manufacturer's costs vs sales volumes.

(Oh, the irony of the fact that the boats that are out there running all day every ay can still use "envioronment killers", and pretty much emit what they like whereas the "occasional use" boats have to be clean). Don't you just love the logic of EU rules?
Old 22 February 2008, 12:07   #5

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
Don't you just love the logic of EU rules?
Yes but I don't see the manufacturers complaining, afterall then now get to sell there latest technology engines to the whole of Europe thereby helping to recoup the development costs without any competition from older 2 stroke engines (less the commerical stuff). Will be interesting to see if the importers like Barrus continue to import engines just for there commerical sales, or is the market so small they just say forget it, commerical users can have the more expensive engines too.

Pete
Old 22 February 2008, 12:26   #6

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Does anyone know will it be possible to get spare parts for a convertional two stroke engines in the future. I would think that Tohatsu will stick to the old technolgy for a while as I believe that they sell a lot of engines into poorer counties but I think that a lot of the engine manifactures are leaving the two stroke market all together
As long as all countries worldwide don't stick together and decide to help world evironment as some countries are doing, you will still be able to find tons of 2 stroke engine parts, when the moment finally arrives buy a complete engine and have it as spares...

UK & USA Virgin Islands won't be considered "poor" have not seen while crusing for 2 weeks the islands a single 4 strokes from the nearly 2 thousand engines they all have, was pleased to see that most of the total are Tohatsu's 15/18/25, some Mercury and least of all Yamaha, all polluting 2 strokes...

Happy Boating
Old 22 February 2008, 14:08   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Yes but I don't see the manufacturers complaining, afterall then now get to sell there latest technology engines Pete
But without the emissions regs, do you really thing they would be investing in that technology? - I can just see it in the board room - "Hey, we;'ve just invented a heavier, bigger engine for the same horsepower than the previous generation - we can sell it for more money"!!!

Have you ever heard anyone say "Gee, I wish my car / outboard had as low a CO2 output as that - I must go & buy one"? If that was what really mattered to the buying public then all the rib & engine makers, Bnliner, Sunseeker etc etc would not be in business 'coz we'd all be out in our Moodys / Jennaus / Wayfarers etc, and would be cycling to the marina.

Bottom line is without the emissions rules I doubt 4- stroke outboards would be where they are today. I agree with Loco - unless the whole world sings the same tune, 2 stroke (and a lot of other old fuel - of any type - burning technology) will still be made and sold.
Old 22 February 2008, 17:34   #8

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
'coz we'd all be out in our Moodys
ours,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moody 31a.jpg