Firstly I'd like to thank all those how gave their 2 pennys on this project.
Brief history, I bought a 1992 Mariner 30 (689 version) a while ago of ebay (first mistake) it seemed clean and looked after and it was a good price at £500 so stuck it on my whaly and first problem was the clutch dog was on back to front, which took a few weeks to sort out. Anyway, problem solved and it did the trick through the summer but lacked a little luster, took it out last November and it just wasn't happy so I decided to rebuild it over the winter.
Split the engine easy enough and only had on bolt snap, found that the mariner was made by Yamaha and 99% of the parts including pistons are inter changeable. Had the block rebored +50 new pistons, rings and gasket set. rebuilt it, started first time then 20 mins later the electrics pack up, I ended replacing the CDI, coil, trigger and spark caps. Started again but wasn't happy, found out that the intake gasket was different and not sealing, fixed that. Next the flywheel woodruff key snapped and throw out the timing, 2 days of head scratching before I fixed that. Next the gear support bracket snapped which I had re welded.
So their I am with all that work done, too deep in the work to just quit and replace it, pulled start and it fires into life again, wonderful....until the crank bearings shat themselves 10 minutes in and called for another rebuild!! Again too deep to quit, new bearings sourced (non original as some were no longer available) crank rebuilt and balanced and finally it runs sweet with 3 hrs run in. Here's to a dry wind free summer! Bit smoky as its running a little premix with the auto lube but better safe than sorry at this point!