Click Here to Login

Old 08 January 2015, 11:52   #1

Town: Whitehaven
Boat name: Cerberus
Make: Destroyer 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115hp Merc 4st
Smartcraft Upgrade install questions

At the end of last year I received a new Merc 115 EFI 4 stroke (the new model 2.1l) with the smartcraft upgrade. It is a beautiful engine, and a great deal lighter than the old 4 stroke and the optimax at just 163kg. The only down side is that the smartcraft comes as a kit, not installed, and requires me to add numerous sensors to the engine with slightly iffy instructions.. This has been no problem for most of them but I have a few questions I'm hoping somebody can help with.

1) There is a digital block pressure sensor (8M0059531) to go on but the image in the instructions doesn't seem to match the engine. An exhaust manifold is shown, along with a cooling water pipe, but these do not match my engine and there is no tapping point or harness close by. I guess it could be under the lower cowl/leg cover, but want to confirm this before taking any more off the engine. It is worth noting that I have already fitted a water pressure sensor to the top of the engine, just behind the fly wheel so it may be that this sensor is not for this engine. Unfortunately the instructions don't give any clues here. I'll post pictures of the instructions later this evening.

2) The speed sensor instructions also include a depth transducer, which I do not have (wasn't in the kit). It is not clear from the instructions how to fit just the speed sensor (paddle wheel). I have fitted the supplied 4 pin plug, which did match the sensor cable colors for the depth transducer, and plugged it into the only matching plug on the engine, but would be happier if somebody could confirm this. Again, I'll post a pic later. There is a picture indicating a vessel harness but this is not included in the kit so I assume is not required.

3) The kit included a very long data cable with 14 pin connectors (male and female) to connect between the side mount control harness and engine, part number 84-892451A30. It is obvious where it goes but the harness length on the control box is long enough to reach the engine without the additional data harness. Can anybody confirm if this harness is required for correct operation as I'd rather not include it if i don't need it. It is bulky and heavy and will otherwise just take up console storage space. None of the instructions I have refer to it, or indeed any of the wiring for the control box. I have seen older smartcraft diagrams showing terminating resistors in cables so wanted to check.

4) Kind of linked to number 3, there is a harness from the control box that fits the smartcraft junction box. Again, instructions don't cover this part of the install. I then have the tach and speed gauges connected to the junction box leaving a spare connection. This needs capped but I don't know if a weather cap or terminating resistor is required. The paperwork doesn't mention resistors or caps and neither are in the kit. Is it safe to fire it all up and see what happens with neither (at home, not on the water) to decide if I need a resistor?

5) There are 5 cables also coming out of the control box but I have not indication of what they are fore. My guess is analogue gauges or 12v switched output. Can anybody shed any light? Colours are:-

Dark blue with white stripe
Red
brown with blue stripe
dark green with white stripe
yellow with black stripe

6) Finally, I'd like to be able to connect a fuel gauge to the network. Any body know how? The vessel harness shown in one of the depth transducer installation diagrams shows a fuel gauge connection but gives no harness numbers or any other indication of connection. There was no vessel harness in the kit.

Any help greatly appreciated..

Phil M
Old 08 January 2015, 21:04   #2

Photos

Photos for the above.....

1) instructions image

My engine manifold side. Not very similar.....

2) Speed sensor connection. The wire direct to the sensor is at the bottom of the picture. The plug it connects to is one from the engine (under the ECU) that was blanked when it arrived.

3) Data cable - this is the one...

5) Cables from control box...

Any help greatly appreciated!

Phil M
Old 10 January 2015, 18:22   #3

Town: poole
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard
Hi, the picture in the instructions is on a new Mercury 150 so that's why it has no relation to your engine. Rigged loads of 150's but none of the new 115's as of yet. You should be fine with the harness direct from the control box to the engine. There should be a fuel sender harness in the kit. It's normally got a pink wire and a black wire wrapped in split conduate. Connects under the engine hood normally. You will need a us specification fuel sender though to get the correct reading.

Oli
Old 12 January 2015, 11:14   #4

Thanks for the reply. I had a hunch the pressure sensor instructions were for the 150. I have no idea then where to put the gauge and am starting to think it is not even required, what with the other pressure sensor at the top of the engine. I bit the bullet the other day and turned the ignition on and calibrated everything as required. I got temp readings for most stuff although it claims the oli temp is -17 degrees, which seems a bit low (air temp 6 deg). May need to keep an eye on the readings when the engine is warm. I also couldn't get the paddle wheel to give a reading. I have plugged it into the only matching plug there is on the engine, which I think is the 4 pin diagnostic plug. The instructions show the depth transducer going there but the speed/temp sensor going to the vessel plug, which won't fit. I do not seem to have the vessel harness, which I think also rules out connecting a tank gauge at the moment, and haven't had much luck finding info/part numbers for one on the net. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Phil M