Old 05 July 2006, 14:42   #1
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Small outboards

I'm after a small outboard for a dinghy -- ideally a Johnson 3.5 2-stroke.

Any suggestions for a good purveyor of second hand outboards? Or somewhere cheap for a new one?

Failing that it'll have to be Ebay!

John
Old 05 July 2006, 15:39   #2

Town: Surbiton,Gt London
Length: 5m +
John you could try Kings marine at Chertsey they had couple small second hand engines (not sure of the size but looked OK) in there week or so back 01932 564830
Old 05 July 2006, 17:10   #3

Town: Rickmansworth
Make: Ocean 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Mariner
Yep kings marine had a few yesterday when i popped down to pick up my rib!! Was having a sniff around for an aux for mine but nothing stood out for me. a couple of smaller engines there.
Old 05 July 2006, 17:24   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Not exactly what you want but I have a Honda 2 HP 4-stroke which is in pretty good nick. Previously was on a yacht tender and was claimed to have only done 10-20 hours. I got it for the back of a wooden sailing dinghy 2 years ago. In my hands it has done something like 10 hours max before we sold the boat (and moved up to a RiB). Kept the engine with a plan to use as an aux. but there isn't enough space on the transom. I think we paid £ 275 for it - would be willing to accept a sensible offer - to fund a DSC and an old evinrude 2st aux that will fit on my transom and is lurking in the depths of the chandlers "for repair only" section.

Neil
Old 05 July 2006, 20:27   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Try Redline Outboards in Abingdon-he had some pretty good deals on new 2 stroke Mariners-think they were 3.3hp?

They were around the same price as a 2nd hand recent one.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 July 2006, 20:51   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart
Not exactly what you want but I have a Honda 2 HP 4-stroke which is in pretty good nick.
I think I'd better stick with a 2-stroke as the engine is likely to be chucked into the boot of a car quite a lot, and I can't be sure to keep it right side up. I know they don't have to be kept vertical, but I wouldn't want to end up with oil where it shouldn't be!

Or is this a non-issue with a modern small 4-stroke? There must be loads of them out there being abused by now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
Try Redline Outboards in Abingdon-he had some pretty good deals on new 2 stroke Mariners-think they were 3.3hp?

They were around the same price as a 2nd hand recent one.
Thanks. I'll give them and Kings a ring tomorrow.

My local outboard dealer (Oakleys) recommended that I give the Merc/Mariner/Tohatsu a miss as they apparently have cooling problems. Anyone heard of this?

John
Old 05 July 2006, 21:14   #7

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
My local outboard dealer (Oakleys) recommended that I give the Merc/Mariner/Tohatsu a miss as they apparently have cooling problems. Anyone heard of this?

John
John,I think all small outboards have cooling problems as the salt water blocks the narrow cooling channels in the head as the water evaporates after use,this seems to happen even on outboards flushed in fresh water after every use,I have found that it is a yearly chore to take the head/leg off and declog.
Larger outboards dont suffer the same as the cooling channels are larger.
Old 05 July 2006, 21:34   #8

Town: Torquay UK
Boat name: Casper
Make: Sweden Yacht
Length: 10m +
Engine: Volvo 28
Quote:

John
I have never had any problems, with any of the merc/Tohatsu type 3.3 engines, all be used & abused, on the back of a Melges 24,sail boat, more or less flat out, then bunged into the bilge's whilst racing, then remounted and flat out again, In fact, bough another Tohatsu for use as a aux for the Solent, and on the back of the Avon tender
Old 05 July 2006, 21:51   #9
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
I think I'd better stick with a 2-stroke as the engine is likely to be chucked into the boot of a car quite a lot, and I can't be sure to keep it right side up. I know they don't have to be kept vertical, but I wouldn't want to end up with oil where it shouldn't be!

Or is this a non-issue with a modern small 4-stroke? There must be loads of them out there being abused by now!
I think its a fair point. There are 2 ways you can lie the engine down safely without oil ending up in the cylinder. If it is just you doing it then it will be fine. If random people might do it then thats different. I did lie it down wrong once and it wouldn't start - took the plug out gave it a wipe, turned it over a few times - popped the plug back in and after a few pulls - hey presto. It then smoked like a 2 stroke for 5 mins.

It does have the advantage of being air cooled so none of the cooling issues you expect with some other outboards. But I appreciate the reasons why a 2-smoke might be preferable.
Old 05 July 2006, 22:05   #10
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
I ve owned:
Suzuki 2HP 2stroke (noisy, ultra relaible, no gearbox, very light)
Honda 2HP 4 stroke, ( noisy due to air cooling, a pig to start, sounds like a machine gun, had problems with storage and oil oiling up the plug due to lying it down in the cockpit locker of a sailing cruiser.
Currently have a Yamaha Malta 3HP, its a Yamaha, enough said, Its heavier than the others (17kg), you can start it with your little finger, has a twist grip throttle and tilt settings, its 1995 and has never missed a beat
My money would go on a Mariner/Mercury/ Tohatsu 3.3/3.5 as used on the J24's they can take all sorts of punishment, have a seperate gearbox and there are some good deals to be had on new models.
Old 05 July 2006, 22:23   #11

Town: Chelmsford/Anglesey
Make: Avon SR/RibLite 3.1m
Engine: Honda 30hp/Yam 8hp
I too have a Yamaha Malta and it's a cracker, although as Alex says it's a tad heavier than the other 3.3/3.5 engines. All the modern baby 4-strokes have the oil seepage problem and having previously owned a Yamaha 4hp 4-stroke, I wouldn't entertain the idea of another one. The Johnson 3.5hp is a very highly regarded engine, is about 4kgs lighter than the Malta and far more substantial than the Tohatsu/Merc/Mariner. New ones available for £380 and currently advertised on Boatsandoutboards. Would definitely get the Johnnie in preference to the Tohatsu:

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F87568/
Old 06 July 2006, 05:10   #12

Town: SOUTHAMPTON AREA
Boat name: none
Make: bombard sib
Engine: petrol 15/3.5
Another problem I have had with a tohatsu 3.5 is the sheerpin seems to be made of very soft material and breaks at the slightest excuse,never found anything on the prop and not hit anything so assume its debris in the water but I averaged a sheerpin roughly every five trips on a tender.
Old 06 July 2006, 07:43   #13
Administrator

That was also mentioned. Apparently people have taken to buying shearpins in packs of 5!

People seem to hang onto these Johnson 3.5s, which is probably a good sign but makes finding a cheap one less easy.

John
Old 06 July 2006, 08:50   #14

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Yamaha Malta

Starts first time, even after 6 months in the shed
Fitted a kill cord to mine, very easy to do!
Old 06 July 2006, 13:55   #15

Town: Blandford / London
Boat name: Top Cat
Make: Scorpion 8.1
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha F225
MMSI: 235020739
Fairweather marine has a 3hp Johnson list on their website.

http://www.fairweathermarine.co.uk/T2to3hp.htm

Have never used them so can't vouch for their service.
Old 06 July 2006, 14:11   #16

Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
We ordered a 5hp mariner and it arrived next day, great service
Old 06 July 2006, 19:55   #17

Town: Chertsey
Boat name: Aqua Legends I
Make: Avon Searider 5.4m
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 90
MMSI: 235035787
Visited Kings Marine today and they had quite a few small outboards in stock both new and 2nd hand. one in perticuliar 4hp Yamaha 2s new, I think sub £400 I think, but there where at least another 4 or 5 various ones on show.
Oxygen Toxicity is for Life

Old 06 July 2006, 20:31   #18

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Ben's outboards (see another recently thread - hes on Hayling Island but will post) has loads of small used outboards. They're all very reasonable if I recall, and they normally come with a months warentee.
Old 07 July 2006, 19:36   #19
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:

Thanks. I'll give them and Kings a ring tomorrow....
Oh yes - it's an issue. I know how my Yam 4HP 4-stroke should be stored - and I do. I know which side it can lie on - and I do, very carefully, when transporting it. But all I have to do is look at it funny, and it floods oil into the piston (and don't start me on the carb problem...)

I'm with Phil - I wouldn't have another one.

D...

P.S. Although when it runs - it's great...
Old 07 July 2006, 23:21   #20

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Little honda

I had the latest 2.2 honda and used it a lot on a canoe . never a bit of oil seapage or any other problem . My mate got one for his canoe and its still going strong despite a recent drink , which it started after a quick dry out .

My honda 20 has been the same .

If you can't lay the thing down on the side with the lugs then get some oars . It seems to me most issues with engines are user error and 4 strokes are less understood by most owners .

My fathers 2.2 suzuki has so far oiled a plug and leaked due to sticky float , apart from that its a pig to use with no twist throttle and no neutral gear .