Old 05 September 2010, 18:50   #1

Boat name: No name yet
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF30
Skeg repair.

It just seems to have been one of those years! After finally managing an hour or so on the water where the engine behaved itself, I stuck it back on the trailer and set off on the 100 meter or so journey home. Only for the tilt lock to fail, and smash the skeg off the ground!

So question is, has anyone had a skeg repaired? I guess I'm missing about an inch or so, it'll probably be fine as it is, I could dress it up with a grinder and file for the time being but it'll need fixed in the long term. Just need an idea of cost? If it's crazy money then I'll have a bash myself.

free
Old 05 September 2010, 19:08   #2

Town: Bangor, Co Down
Boat name: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Make: Ribeye & Tremlett 15
Engine: Yamaha F40, Merc 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
It just seems to have been one of those years! After finally managing an hour or so on the water where the engine behaved itself, I stuck it back on the trailer and set off on the 100 meter or so journey home. Only for the tilt lock to fail, and smash the skeg off the ground!

So question is, has anyone had a skeg repaired? I guess I'm missing about an inch or so, it'll probably be fine as it is, I could dress it up with a grinder and file for the time being but it'll need fixed in the long term. Just need an idea of cost? If it's crazy money then I'll have a bash myself.

free
I know a few that have used this, good job

http://www.skeggard.com/
Old 06 September 2010, 03:29   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Missing an inch isn't a big deal. File it to a pleasant shape, paint it if desired, and forget about it.

The skeg on my F115 has been ground off by about that much (after rinsing the boat and motor and trying to back it in without raising the motor.)

I've seen others missing a lot more than that and they work fine. A little less off-power rudder effect, and a little less prop protection, but that's about it, as far as I know.

jky
Old 06 September 2010, 19:48   #4

Thanks guys, it was really just the prop protection I was worried about. I like the look of the Blackfin thing but there's no UK sales and I can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to get one from the States, so I've managed to pick up a skeg blank from ebay. I just need to sweet talk a tame welder at work and all will be good again.

free
Old 06 September 2010, 20:38   #5

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post

free
Hope you get the skeg repaired okay. I used to use a steel bar (wrapped in foam pipe insulation) between the outboard clamp and the leg when it was in the raised position. Easy enough for the tilt mechanism to fail after going over a pothole. Had the same thing happen to me with a Yamaha 40hp - but the lightboard saved it from making contact with the road. Remember to lash the steel bar in position.
Old 07 September 2010, 19:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Hope you get the skeg repaired okay. I used to use a steel bar (wrapped in foam pipe insulation) between the outboard clamp and the leg when it was in the raised position. Easy enough for the tilt mechanism to fail after going over a pothole. Had the same thing happen to me with a Yamaha 40hp - but the lightboard saved it from making contact with the road. Remember to lash the steel bar in position.
Now have a ratchet strap around the outboard and hooked onto grab handles either side, I think long term I'll make something up to hook the engine to the console. I've never liked the idea of the engine bouncing on the transom anyway.

free