Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 21 May 2009, 05:55   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southwold
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x55hp Evin pet
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20
Sink or not sink?

We've converted our 5.6 searider from a twinn 55 to a single 55hp.
The question is whether to block the sinking holes or to allow it to take on water.

It will be used as a safety boat, moving sailing marks about etc on the sea so much of the time it will be just pottering around at 4 or 5 knots, essentially waiting for trouble.

There are those who say we'd use a lot less fuel if we blocked off the holes.
Whilst others say we'd be better off with a more stable platform.

Your thoughts?
__________________

__________________
javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 06:30   #2
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Not sink

We had a 5.4 searider for over 10 years. We sunk for 2 and floated for the rest. Have to recommend blocking it up. Less fuel especially if pottering around. Much quicker to get up on the plane, useful for getting to rescues. Also still just sits on the tubes so perfectly stable. Also, the transom is so low to the waterline on seariders, any extra height will stop waves sloshing over the back. The only advantage of sinking is if you were hauling massive weights in and out of the boat at stand still, is diving, it sits even more on the tubes, then cruising back to shore it empiries out. For you pottering round, on and off plane, seal it up!
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 06:47   #3
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
We've converted our 5.6 searider from a twinn 55 to a single 55hp.
The question is whether to block the sinking holes or to allow it to take on water.

It will be used as a safety boat, moving sailing marks about etc on the sea so much of the time it will be just pottering around at 4 or 5 knots, essentially waiting for trouble.

There are those who say we'd use a lot less fuel if we blocked off the holes.
Whilst others say we'd be better off with a more stable platform.

Your thoughts?
Humber said it all really. Do a search on searider flooding hull on here and you will find loads of threads on the subject.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 07:32   #4
mdt
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 720
as an aside I am planning to not flood the hull on my project 5.4. and was thinking of seeing if you can get XL shaft 90hp and then I could build up the transom by 5” to help prevent shipping water when astern ? I spent the weekend in a 5.4 with a flooding hull and a 125hp hung on the back. Water over the transom if you even think of going astern ?

but back to the question. I would block it off.
__________________
“The only difference between men and boys, is the price and size of their toys”
mdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 07:58   #5
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
as an aside I am planning to not flood the hull on my project 5.4. and was thinking of seeing if you can get XL shaft 90hp and then I could build up the transom by 5” to help prevent shipping water when astern ? I spent the weekend in a 5.4 with a flooding hull and a 125hp hung on the back. Water over the transom if you even think of going astern ?

but back to the question. I would block it off.
Yeah the waterline is very close to the transom, specially with my yam but with a 125
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 08:11   #6
mdt
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 720
it was a 2smoke don't stress. i have to say i did not notice the flooding hull holding it back much.
__________________
“The only difference between men and boys, is the price and size of their toys”
mdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 14:35   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southwold
Make: Avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 2x55hp Evin pet
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 20
OK sealed up it is then.

Took her out for a first test tonight.
She gets on the plane but she takes her time and I guess this could be the prop as the current single engine was, until our a conversion, one of a pair.

So, and I guess you can tell there's a noob about,
5.6 searider.
Used on the sea.
Single 55hp Evin "commercial" two stroke,

what prop should I be using?
Where do I get one?
I hear it should be alloy so we dont strip the gearbox when the driver gets a line wrapped up.

Cheers
__________________
javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 15:13   #8
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
OK sealed up it is then.

Took her out for a first test tonight.
She gets on the plane but she takes her time and I guess this could be the prop as the current single engine was, until our a conversion, one of a pair.

So, and I guess you can tell there's a noob about,
5.6 searider.
Used on the sea.
Single 55hp Evin "commercial" two stroke,

what prop should I be using?
Where do I get one?
I hear it should be alloy so we dont strip the gearbox when the driver gets a line wrapped up.

Cheers
If I were in your boat (pun) I'd sell both 55's and opt for some more power.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 15:14   #9
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt View Post
it was a 2smoke don't stress. i have to say i did not notice the flooding hull holding it back much.
Sounds good
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2009, 15:58   #10
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
power

i'd agree with jsp, more power needed. we had an old 75 carbed engine, just enough. Then had an opti 90, very quick indeed. Probably slow onto the plane due to power?!!
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.