Click Here to Login

Old 31 January 2009, 03:49   #1

Town: Muscat
Boat name: Abdul Aziz 3
Make: Libra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2 x Yam 75 OB
Should water come out of here?

I have a pair of Johnson 105 commercials on a boat that I am refurbishing. When I run the engine with muffs on I get a good tell-tale jet, however water also comes out of seam between the the lower leg and the gear box. To clarify, the joint is the one seen as a dark line starting to the left of the anode and running down to the left at about 45 degrees. The join appears to be open slightly by design and water trickles out.

I cannot find a Johnson dealer in Muscat and I am waiting for a Clymer manual to be delivered.

In the meantime can anyone advise whether water is supposed to come from here or whether it indicates a fault elsewhere. Also will it harm the engine to run it like this?
Finally please advise where the prop size or part number will be marked. I need to make a list of spares to import and will get props, anodes, pump, impeller etc possibly from UK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0147a.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	40242  
Old 31 January 2009, 07:10   #2

Town: Stuttgart
Boat name: Boat
Make: Avon,Scorpio,535 She
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 75HP,Johnson 70
Hi Andy,
with the years, the sealings inside getting hard. So water will not stand the pressure .
After refurbishing the boat, you will change the impellers for shure. So you will have the gearbox off and you can change also the rubber rings from waterpump to the water hoses inside and the sealing betweet exhoust housing and gearbox.
Thats no "repair" but maintenance.
The prop size is marked at the side like 13 4/4x 17p. Means 13 ,75 inches diameter and the pitch of 17 inches. The prop will do a distance of 17inches with one turn.

mike
Old 31 January 2009, 08:34   #3

Many thanks Mike. It sounds that it is still okay to use the engines with the leak as the telltales are still strong. I shall try to find a parts catalogue and look up part numbers to order the seals as well as maintenance spares.

I shall look again at the props as I could not see size markings first time round. I shall give them a good clean and look closer at the sides.
Old 31 January 2009, 11:18   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
If it's steamy water it is not going to be a leaking water pump seal that is giving the problem, although they too might be needing a service. The exhaust and cooling water comes down inside the leg and passes that joint and then goes directly down into the lower unit and exits into the propshaft housing then out through the prop. I've not seen a joint deliberately relieved to let water escape where you mention, it's usually a metal to metal surface, but there's lots I've not seen so it's possible. My guess is corrosion between the mating surfaces. If you service the water pumps you'll find out because that joint will need to be split. There are also various slots and holes in that area to allow for drainage of water.
Old 01 February 2009, 01:42   #5

I had a closer look. It appears to be 3 designed slots. In fact you can see right through the narrow slot in places. I am none the wiser as to how they are supposed to work or whether water is supposed to come through there under normal or fault conditions.

Secondly I had a careful look at the prop and can see no sign of markings indicating size on the outside of the prop. I guess next stage is to take one off and clean up inner and rear faces.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7850.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	40264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7851.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	40265  
Old 01 February 2009, 06:16   #6

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Andy,

Water used to come out of here on my old Johnson V4 and I was told this was normal.

You will probably find the prop markings on the rear once you have removed it.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 February 2009, 06:32   #7

Thanks Chris. As you know these are Johnson V4's as well. I followed the prop removal thread here recently as I expect these props have not been off for a good while. I shall drop one off and have a look at the back of it for a part number or size details. The diameter and pitch seem to work well in my limited trials but the anodes on the engines are badly worn and the props are nearly corroded through in places.

I am struggling for Johnson dealers in Middle East - is there anyone that you could recommend in UK as I have a friend returning there next week who could bring pumps, impellers, anodes etc back for me

Thanks in advance
Old 01 February 2009, 06:53   #8

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Hello Andy,I havent had your johnsons but other outboard and and i have seen water on many occasions coming from there I,m sure you will get other replies and help if you post the list you want i will ask our local dealer even better email me and then i can forward it as i know they are evenrude and johnson Regards Peter
Old 01 February 2009, 17:39   #9

pm sent with thanks