Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 June 2013, 04:13   #1
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 138
short shaft to long shaft

Hi,

I'm looking at a couple of options for engine replacement and wondering how much of a job it is to convert a short shaft engine to a long shaft or even vice versa.
Is it just a case of adding some sort of mid-section and getting a longer shaft, or is it possible at all?
__________________

__________________
gaelforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 04:16   #2
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
On what motor?

Generally, it's prohibitively expensive to change shaft lengths on a motor.


There's a couple of exceptions, but they're from the early 70s.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 13:23   #3
Member
 
Country: Ireland
Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 50
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 138
Thanks for the reply. One of the options is a sizuki 70 longshaft that we hoped could be changed to a short shaft by maybe taking out a section and changing shafts to a short one. Just wondering would the bottom unit line up with the shorter mid section and are the shafts compatible at the ends?
__________________
gaelforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 13:38   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
I don't think you'll find a short driveshaft for a Suzuki 70, and cutting lumps off the mid section isn't practical or safe really.

The only motors it's really feasable on are the old late 70's/80's 40hp Mariners that the RNLI used to use, and Johnson/Evinrudes from the 70's.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 17:09   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,335
Its pretty easy to go from short to long or Xl there are kits for most common brands that will cost about 300-400 for a kit.
__________________
Black Dog Marine
www.blackdogmarine.com
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 17:14   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yam 150
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,157
I did a Yamaha a few years ago, quote an easy job and a good exercise to learn about gearboxes.
__________________
thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 17:22   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: NW Surrey
Boat name: Lady Helen
Make: Avon
Length: 3m +
Engine: Out Petrol 3.5 & 15
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 222
I have aEvinrude 15hp in both short and long shaft versions. They are both from the mid 80s. They were both on e-bay as non-runners, I bought the 2nd to use as parts. They both run now but one is better than the other. The better one is long shaft,this seems to have an extension in the leg just above the gear box. My boat uses a short shaft.

Is it possible to swap the bottom bits around taking the drive shaft, gear change rod, exhaust and water pipes where they are different lengths?

Is there anything that locks these bits into the top of the leg/bottom of the engine?

I already know how to undo the gear change rod.

I will put new impellors in and change the gear box oil when I do this. Is there anything else I should do whilst they are in pieces.

Thanks Guys
__________________
EnglishLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 17:43   #8
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelforce View Post
Thanks for the reply. One of the options is a sizuki 70 longshaft that we hoped could be changed to a short shaft by maybe taking out a section and changing shafts to a short one. Just wondering would the bottom unit line up with the shorter mid section and are the shafts compatible at the ends?
What boat do you have that needs a 70hp shorty?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2013, 18:19   #9
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel View Post
Its pretty easy to go from short to long or Xl there are kits for most common brands that will cost about 300-400 for a kit.
Not the other way round though- he asked about making a long into a short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLes View Post
I have aEvinrude 15hp in both short and long shaft versions. They are both from the mid 80s. They were both on e-bay as non-runners, I bought the 2nd to use as parts. They both run now but one is better than the other. The better one is long shaft,this seems to have an extension in the leg just above the gear box. My boat uses a short shaft.

Is it possible to swap the bottom bits around taking the drive shaft, gear change rod, exhaust and water pipes where they are different lengths?

Is there anything that locks these bits into the top of the leg/bottom of the engine?

I already know how to undo the gear change rod.

I will put new impellors in and change the gear box oil when I do this. Is there anything else I should do whilst they are in pieces.

Thanks Guys
Why not just swap the powerheads over?
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2013, 07:15   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,610
As Nos says, 1960s/ 70s Johnsorudes used shaft extension pieces, so it;s "simply" a case of finding a spacer, and long drive shaft / Exhaust & water tubes.

More modern stuff tesnde to be the same innards, but has separate long & short shaft castings for the leg.

Depending which way you want to go on what engione there is a tiny chance I may be able to help, having threatened to scrap this lot but never managed to get round to the tip - sorry recycling centre with it in the car boot whn the place was open!

I have a Yam 50-90 Longhshaft leg off a mid 90s 2- stroke (may also have the exhaust tube, but can't remember), a Suz DT25/50 Longhshaft leg (Both for the cost of the postage) and if you want to stretch an Early 70s Johnsorude 20 I will swap a set of long shaft gear (LS drive / water &exhaust + spacer) for the short shaft drive / exhaust & water tube.

Pics available in the depths of the bits & pieces thread.....
__________________

__________________
9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.