Old 05 March 2011, 18:59   #1

Town: Bedford
Make: Honwave 2.7 VIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard 4hp
Shaft sizes :)

I've recently acquired a Honwave 2.7 VIB. Could someone kindly confirm the shaft length i need too use with this dinghy? Short or standard? Or can i use either, i'm getting confused.

I've searched all posts here, and numerous searches on both google and Honda's websites have not really helped. In terms of the measurements i understand that it is taken from the transom clamp to the top of the cavitation plate above the propellor, is this correct? If so how do i then measure the transom, top to bottom i presume, but how does this then relate to the outboard measurement, is there a rule of thumb? Would just like some re-assurance ta!

Many thanks,

Simon,
Old 05 March 2011, 20:55   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
I have a QS270AD, a very similar SIB and it takes Short Shaft, I checked Honda's website and your's is the same.

There is widespread misuse and confusion regarding the Short and Standard shaft terms. AFAIK, they are one and the same thing - a 15" shaft (minimum) which is measured from the underside of the bracket to the upper side of the cav plate. Long Shaft is 20" and not what you need.

Rogue will be along in a minute to explain how short shaft engines are really 12.5" and made once upon a time for some kinda racing. Which is what Right and Irrelevant feels like.
Old 05 March 2011, 21:04   #3

Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
15" is generally what's known as short shaft, long shaft is 20", XL=25", XXL=30". But yeah there's always going to be someone who comes along and complicates the issue

Measure the height of your transom from top to bottom at the centre of the transom, the correct shaft length will be this measurement roughly. Normally the shaft length will be an inch or so shorter than the transom height

Measuring shaft length of the motor is just as you thought, cav plate to the top of the transom bracket.
Old 05 March 2011, 21:26   #4

Town: Bedford
Make: Honwave 2.7 VIB
Length: under 3m
Engine: Outboard 4hp
Guys  that's awesome, clears everything up. Much appreciated, and good news because I've just bought a 4hp 2 stroke Mariner short shaft