Thanks for the advice again. I'm trying to avoid lifting the engine, not because it's difficult (I have access to full workshop facilities including a crane), but for 2 other reasons. Firstly, it's had more than it's fair share of bolt holes drilled over the past 17 years for different engines. I reackon it's on at least it's 4th or 5th engine so far. As you know, each repair weakens the transom. Also, if you look at the pics, you'll see that there is very little room left for upward movement at the top of the transom (in relation to the upper retaining bolts).
The prop probably isn't giving me as much as I should get. I don't have a rev counter (no room) but my GPS told me this week end that I got 28.5 knots at full belt. I guess that's slow?
With regard to the fuel, it's 4 weeks old. I try to use it within 6 weeks of purchase. Am I wrong with this? I'll give the carb cleaner a go. Just squirt straight into each carb, one at a time, whilst running, is that right?
Thanks for the reply. This had an Evinrude 65 on it when I 1st got it. It pulled badly once I had a full quota of divers & gear on board & eventually just gave up. I went up to a Merc 80 but that was the biggest pile of trash ever. Not there's anything wrong with Mercs, I just couldn't see myself being ripped off. It was a 1969 "recon" that had just had a bit of a paint & clean up job. Bye bye pistons rings, crank, rods, the lot. The Selva 100 came a good price & fitted well. So I thought 4 divers, silly amounts of kit & a pretty strong boat can handle it. Or am I barking up the wrong tree again.
Thanks to all for the feedback - it really helps me get to grips with the subject.
Phil - on the good (ish) ship Venus