Old 01 December 2009, 14:28   #11
Town: Labutes City
Make: bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yamaha 25
Be carefull that the leg shaft is not seized to the crankshaft!
Yamaha advises that the spline on the lower leg shaft be lubricated every year!

tsnando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 December 2009, 15:04   #12
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Removing the bottom end of an outboard you've not known very long for the first time can be a real pain if it's not been off for a while.

I've always found that patience is the greatest asset you have to resist the temptation to beat the hell out of it, as you'll end up breaking the cav plate.

If its just corrosion between the two mating faces of the castings, and around the stainless dowels that locate between the faces, then hot water will help, so will tapping around the join with a rubber mallet. Note that's sideways onto the join, not trying downwards on the cav plate.

I always leave a couple of bolts in loose as the bottom end can break free suddenly and you may not be ready to catch it.

If the driveshaft splines are corroded into the crankshaft you really are unlucky, the only way I've found to get these out is to try when the engine is right up to operating temperature.

Regardless of how much I've used the boat I always drop the leg every spring to change or check the condition of the impellor. I take the oppertunity to clean and regrease the driveshaft splines, plus clean the mating surfaces of the castings before putting a very fine smear of silicone grease on them before reassembly. Hopefully this will mean I can get them apart in the future.

Good luck

RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2009, 04:04   #13
Town: Devon. uk
Boat name: bananashark
Make: me
Length: 7m +
Engine: opti 225
That'll prob be the drive shaft bush half way up the leg. start with fine metal wedges being careful not to work one spot and ruin the mating faces, then move on to pry bars, the some blocks of wood to keep the box level with the leg and finaly use an old scissor jack for the back of the car blocking as you go. Last one I did took 5 hours. Enjoy.
But I may be talking Rubbish.
Expurt is a drip under pressure, and the difference between an Amateur and a proffesional is getting paid.
kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 December 2009, 07:24   #14
Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Length: 5m +
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
It's not clinging on by the gearshift rod?

9D280 is offline   Reply With Quote