Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
Sea Spray on the engine block.

I am just wondering is is normal for some sea spray to be on the engine block i.e. under the cover. The engine is a Etec 60 on a Valiant Dr 490. Or is this an indication that the engine may be too low?

TSM
Old 05 August 2008, 15:29   #2

RIBase
Wd 40

Is it ok to spray WD 40 on the engine to protect from rust
Old 05 August 2008, 17:02   #3

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I am just wondering is is normal for some sea spray to be on the engine block i.e. under the cover. The engine is a Etec 60 on a Valiant Dr 490. Or is this an indication that the engine may be too low?

TSM
Was worrying about the same sea spraying issue, seems normal to happen in these 2 points: On top of the carb air muffler, water coming in throught the manual rope start rubber assy that comes in contact with cowl on portable engines and throught the rear engine cowl vent to engine block, spark plugs area, etc. Would be adviseable to remove the engine cowl alter each use, wet a cloth on fresh water, drain excesive liquid and wipe off all sea water sprays found, dry well, and spray on round painter brush top small amounts of WD-40 to protectant/paint whatever parts you need to protect. One of the parts that rusts more are spark plugs seats, so WD-40 more frecuent.

The issue of using a brush is that WD-40 cans sprays too much liquid out, this is to avoid a WD-40 mess inside cowl, will also save you buying another can more frequent than spraying directly, apply as required.

Happy Ribbing
Old 05 August 2008, 17:17   #4

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
Would be adviseable to remove the engine cowl alter each use, wet a cloth on fresh water and wipe off all sea water sprays, dry well, and spray on round painter brush top small amounts of W-40 to protectant/paint whatever parts you need to protect. One of the parts that rusts more are spark plugs seats, so WD-40 more frecuent.

The issue of using a brush is that the WD-40 can sprays too much liquid out, so to avoid a WD-40 mess inside, will also save you buying another can more frequent than spraying directly, apply as required.

Happy Ribbing
Those of us with a life tend to just liberally spray WD40 or similar all over the motor.

It probably isn't "sea spray" that's causing the problem though, it's just the result of using the motor in a salt laden air enviroment.
Old 05 August 2008, 17:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Those of us with a life tend to just liberally spray WD40 or similar all over the motor.

It probably isn't "sea spray" that's causing the problem though, it's just the result of using the motor in a salt laden air enviroment.
Have not used a boat/engine on sweet waters environments to see if this problem matches, but would be inclined for any engine doing the same, but with sweet water sprays instead. Anyway protect as required and don't spray WD-40 so liberally as Dirk wisely advises.

Happy Sibbing/Ribbing
Old 05 August 2008, 17:32   #6

Ever wondered what the "WD" stands for?
Old 05 August 2008, 17:50   #7

Quote:
Ever wondered what the "WD" stands for?
WD stands for: Water Displacement, a 1953 tech formula developed by Norm Larssen, when working for the Rocket Chemical Company, renamed after some years as the SW-40 Company, to protect the Atlas missile from rust & corrosion, and latter found to have astonishing 2 thousand different uses including outboards.

Has any one out there tried WD-40 on PVC or Hypalon tubes to remove hard to wipe grease stains , discoloring bathing suits ink stains when sitting on tubes, etc ? Was the stain efficiently removed ?
Old 05 August 2008, 18:06   #8

Quote:
WD stands for: Water Displacement, a 1953 tech formula developed by Norm Larssen, when working for the Rocket Chemical Company, renamed after some years as the SW-40 Company, to protect the Atlas missile from rust & corrosion, and latter found to have astonishing 2 thousand different uses including outboards.
Google is my friend!

10 years or so ago, I was at a presentation where a representative from WD40 told us how the company used to run a photo competition for the strangest use of the product, such as being used for shaving on an artic expedition, they closed the competition after they started to receive several "adult" photo's showing WD40's use as a lubricant!
Old 05 August 2008, 18:43   #9

Quote:
Google is my friend!

10 years or so ago, I was at a presentation where a representative from WD40 told us how the company used to run a photo competition for the strangest use of the product, such as being used for shaving on an artic expedition, they closed the competition after they started to receive several "adult" photo's showing WD40's use as a lubricant!
Yeap right Dirk, Google is our belowed friend. Nice advise on the adult use, will remenber when out of lubricant as always have cans of WD-40 handy. "Thumbs Up"

Happy Ribbing
Old 05 August 2008, 18:52   #10

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Nice advise on the adult use, will remenber when out of lubricant as always have cans of WD-40 handy. "Thumbs Up"
I wouldnt .. try setting fire to the stuff.. then imagine what it would do to your bell end

Mind you .. each to their own
Old 06 August 2008, 08:20   #11

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
would never use wd, it eventually attacks rubber and turns in to a oily mess, completely de grease the engine and dry, and spray Quicksilver corrosion Guard all over, if you get any splashes you just spray off wish a hose, also if you have to make any adjustments to the block, your hands stay clean!!
Attached Images

Old 06 August 2008, 14:46   #12

Wrong post, sorry
Old 06 August 2008, 14:59   #13

sure, when you buy a new engine its coated in a Corrosion Guard (of some make ) Not Wd, your right wd is great in some cases BUT there are better products out there for your application, i find wd or duck oil great as a penetrant but NOT as a waterproof coating as its very thin and disperses very quickly,also runs down the block and created a oily mess at the bottom, it will not adhere to hot engines .on some rubbers eg braking systems it will attack the rubber causing it to swell slightly ...hope that helps
Old 06 August 2008, 15:20   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt h View Post
would never use wd, it eventually attacks rubber and turns in to a oily mess, completely de grease the engine and dry, and spray Quicksilver corrosion Guard all over, if you get any splashes you just spray off wish a hose, also if you have to make any adjustments to the block, your hands stay clean!!
Double relpy:

Bigmus, was only joking, would be completely nuts to try over me. Have to protect my physical integrity.

Matt: How much time will you say will be needed to eventually attach rubber components ? and why would you need to completely degrease all the engine or spray it with a hose for ? We are discussing about washing off salt water internal sprays. This is a sib section, so we are talking about small to medium sized engines up tp 40 HP and mainly 2 cylinders ones, so a much cleaner engine in grease merger compared to an automobile. Don't speak for bigger engines as I do not work with them.

Have been using WD for more than ten years spraying engines, blocks, all insides, with no prob at all, so this would be a very speculative answer, the purpose of using a brush is for painting just the amount needed instead of spraying liberally lots of the component.

WD besides protecting, is a corrosion guard, water /moisture repelant & cleaner with lots of other properties. Quicksilver is a well reputed brand, but it's not that big big shot product some times difficult to get and more pricy than WD. For instance WD is very easy to find in most stores compared to Quick that only sells in marine stores.

As we are not surgeons, what is the prob of washing your hands after the job, a simple 1 minute wash with nice soap will do. Latter will posta pic of a Evinrude 15 hp which has been WD-40 treated for the last 10 years, make your own conclussions. Anyway, don't work for the HD-40 Company, so each one can use the product they deem more convenient.

Happy Sibbing
Old 06 August 2008, 15:26   #15

Quote:
sure, when you buy a new engine its coated in a Corrosion Guard (of some make ) Not Wd, your right wd is great in some cases BUT there are better products out there for your application, i find wd or duck oil great as a penetrant but NOT as a waterproof coating as its very thin and disperses very quickly,also runs down the block and created a oily mess at the bottom, it will not adhere to hot engines .on some rubbers eg braking systems it will attack the rubber causing it to swell slightly ...hope that helps
Sorry, think you are getting out of the theme, as always there will be lot's of possible answers...

The engine comes factory painted with anticorrosion primer and tripple paint, shellac, who said anything about HD ? HD is a good product as Quick used afterwords for maintaining the engine in opt condition as factory new.
Old 06 August 2008, 16:09   #16

Blimey, this is getting complicated...its the engine and prop section actually and you asked about sea spray, if you de grease the engine, so that corrosion guard sticks to the block,(unlike wd 40) then when you get sea spray you can hose it all off, its very simple really, try it you might like it!!
Old 06 August 2008, 18:12   #17

Engine: 90hp
Quote:
Blimey, this is getting complicated...its the engine and prop section actually and you asked about sea spray, if you de grease the engine, so that corrosion guard sticks to the block,(unlike wd 40) then when you get sea spray you can hose it all off, its very simple really, try it you might like it!!
Yip - exactly what I do - sprayed with said corrosion guard and then when engines get salty simply rise with fresh water and run engine to dry it. Amazing how much salt gets in there!
Old 06 August 2008, 18:25   #18

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I stopped using wd40 on my bikes years ago when i realized it was destroying rubber and pvc parts . It also dissolves grease and wax etc so won't do any corrosion guard much good that is on the motor .

I have been using Wynns silicone lube for ages now and my bike looks like new after 3 years and the electrics and rubber parts on my outboard also seem to like it .
I hear lots of good things about acf50 but its expensive
Old 07 August 2008, 08:36   #19

RIBase
Removing WD 40

Thanks for the information. I have used WD 40 once on the engine block. Do I need to remove it so as to prevent the plastic/ rubber from breaking down?
If so what is the easyest way of doing this?

TSM
Old 07 August 2008, 20:11   #20

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I wouldn't worry once won't hurt and it will soon dry off with engine heat , its regular use for some time that caused problems .

My etec had no anti corrosion coating sprayed on when I got it , i didn't know untill i took it to my local dealer to get the oil changed to xd100 but the dealers are supposed to spray the stuff on the engine as part of PDI but some don't , its like waxoly probably the same as the quicksilver stuff