Old 09 September 2016, 13:43   #31
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
OMO I will do what the engine manufacturer states keep it well maintained not going to mend it till its broke on my eleventh engine never had corrosion problems so going to enjoy the boat job done.

jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2016, 13:56   #32
Town: Dorset
Boat name: Seabadger
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140
@ cjj216 - the reason I used Rydlyme was when I removed the anodes for replacement the ports the anodes go into were choked full of scale. I took the whole rectifier side plate off the engine and was amazed how much crap was in there. Should have taken pics. Water wasn't even getting to the anodes!! The engine came to me second hand on the back of a rib I bought. It came with low hows, full service records from new and a recent diagnostic report that didn't highlight any overheating alarms. I thought it was a good engine until I took that side plate off and had a shock! Anyway its all cleaned out now and seems fine. I cant see any issues with the coating on the inside of the engine - taking the rectifier plate off or thermostat out gives you ample spaces for decent inspection of water passages. Seems like I needed the fix. But like PD and many others have said I certainly wouldn't use anything like this without need for it.

diver 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 September 2016, 14:10   #33
Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Interesting topic. I suppose the best thing to purchase would be a crystal ball. Then you'd use your motor as intended whilst following all the manufacturers recommendations. Then, after how ever many years, just before it completely clogs up, overheats and dies, you'd use one of these descaler products and not be overly concerned about a little bit of pitting or etching of your aluminium casings as you've hopefully had many years from it.

Just for interest, this marine engineer I was chatting to today, told me of a small Yamaha outboard he'd had from new in 1996. It had been used for one season and flushed after every use.
After that, it was stored indoors, serviced every couple of years and ran up 2 or 3 times a year in a bucket of tap water.
When it was approx 20 years old, he sold it to a pal.
First time out it overheated. When they stripped it, the cooling system and associated parts were completely corroded.
Like I said earlier, lack of use is the worse thing for any motor!

cjj216 is offline   Reply With Quote