Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 31 July 2010, 04:52   #11
Member
 
NeilH's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brockenhurst
Boat name: Fizz
Make: Yamaha
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard 50hp
MMSI: 235071207
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 210
Did this once on a motorbike years ago - if i jut remove the HT lead I'll know which cylinder is misfiring - next step pick yourself up off the floor!
the experience has stayed with me!
Neil
__________________

NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 05:08   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 802
i still don t understand i will not be touching the engine inside just thinking of taking of the spark plug cap,pull starting it ,listening to it run,then put cap back on,listen again and hear if there is any difference
__________________

__________________
thornbackflound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 05:17   #13
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
If the insulation on the cap has the slightest break in it you will get a belt, it'll be about 10,000 volts.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 05:25   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
If the insulation on the cap has the slightest break in it you will get a belt, it'll be about 10,000 volts.
10,000 volts.I give up is this a wind up,lol,im just to thick to understand how can i get a bolt from touching the hood and plastic pull cord handle
__________________
thornbackflound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 05:31   #15
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
how can i get a bolt from touching the hood and plastic pull cord handle
Don't worry you cant! Just don't hold the HT lead
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 05:54   #16
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
10,000 volts.I give up is this a wind up,lol,im just to thick to understand how can i get a bolt from touching the hood and plastic pull cord handle
Like Martini said you won't from holding the hood and pull cord but I wouldn't fancy holding the ht lead.
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 06:07   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Like Martini said you won't from holding the hood and pull cord but I wouldn't fancy holding the ht lead.
No i would not be daft enough to do that,lol.ive had enough electric shocks in my time,had a metal bodied old black n decker drill stuck to me hand one time buy christ thought i was gonna die,hair stood on end,everthing looked brighter,oooooooooooooh,lol
__________________
thornbackflound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 07:10   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 802
Well heres the plan,take of cap of spark plug while engine is OFF ,pull start it,STOP engine replace cap ,then take the other cap OFF whilst engine is OFF, start engine again ,listning to different sounds i should tell right? ,off course it may well be running on both,just was not when first started when i came to buy it,the chap just heated up the spark plug and then both started,he is obviouly used to how it sounds,so i hope this way i have a peice of mind? its so annoying,lol,and bugging me
__________________
thornbackflound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 07:14   #19
Member
 
martini's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: jersey
Boat name: Martini II
Make: Arctic 28/FC470
Length: 8m +
Engine: twin 225Opti/50hp 2t
MMSI: 235067688
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by thornbackflound View Post
Well heres the plan,take of cap of spark plug while engine is OFF ,pull start it,STOP engine replace cap ,then take the other cap OFF whilst engine is OFF, start engine again ,listning to different sounds i should tell right? ,off course it may well be running on both,just was not when first started when i came to buy it,the chap just heated up the spark plug and then both started,he is obviouly used to how it sounds,so i hope this way i have a peice of mind? its so annoying,lol
Should be easy enough to tell the difference on a 2 cyl, it'll run like a bag o' s**te on one!
__________________
martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2010, 07:51   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Should be easy enough to tell the difference on a 2 cyl, it'll run like a bag o' s**te on one!
cheers mate ,i like that bag of shite,yes i think its more of a pop pop sound,should be a ticking sound,say could be alright,put it in gear and emptied half the water
__________________

__________________
thornbackflound is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.