Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 December 2009, 12:43   #1
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,400
RIBase
rnli evinrude 70hp

Hi, can anyone tell me are the rnli evinrude 70hp engines any good
__________________

__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 13:16   #2
Member
 
spartacus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,748
RIBase
There are few for sale from Bill Higham ranging in price from £2,300 to £2,800, depending on the year of manufacture. Difficult to tell the life they've had and the exact number of hours unless this can be checked against the service histroy. Suffice to say - when they were with the RNLI they would have been meticiously maintained.
__________________

__________________
spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 13:53   #3
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,400
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
There are few for sale from Bill Higham ranging in price from £2,300 to £2,800, depending on the year of manufacture. Difficult to tell the life they've had and the exact number of hours unless this can be checked against the service histroy. Suffice to say - when they were with the RNLI they would have been meticiously maintained.
thanks, I just bought new boat trailer and engine of bill higham, the engine is a 2001 and looks in good nik and seems to run fine, it looks like its been well maintained cheers
__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 14:00   #4
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
We never had any trouble with the Evinrudes, not bad engines.

Did you have to wait to have a gearbox fitted?
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 14:22   #5
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,400
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
We never had any trouble with the Evinrudes, not bad engines.

Did you have to wait to have a gearbox fitted?
I had to wait about 5 week for the package i think the engine are already made up, i went down and pick my own engine from is unit, as im only 2 mile away from is place cheers
__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 14:24   #6
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
When I spoke to him the Evinrudes didn't have gearboxes fitted. He reckoned the RNLI had removed them?
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 14:26   #7
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
even though it may be ex rnli and had some hard usage, dont forget that it may also have not had very much useage , it will have been run every week for excercise or maintanence ,but some engines can have very light usage ,,not all are driven over rocks and go out every day in the teeth of a raging storm ,,,,,,and im not getting at you phil {CHEWY ]you took great care of her when she was at your station ,,lol,,,,,,just been looking through our relife boats service records and some years its been launched in anger couple of dozen times whilst other years perhaps just 6 times and they normaly only keep the 70,s for about 2 years .
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 14:37   #8
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,400
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
When I spoke to him the Evinrudes didn't have gearboxes fitted. He reckoned the RNLI had removed them?
he had quite few at is unit they all had gearboxes , i just pick one that looked in good nik
__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 14:59   #9
Member
 
hadd's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Manchester
Boat name: "mr Jingles"
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 130 Etec
MMSI: 235074968
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,400
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
even though it may be ex rnli and had some hard usage, dont forget that it may also have not had very much useage , it will have been run every week for excercise or maintanence ,but some engines can have very light usage ,,not all are driven over rocks and go out every day in the teeth of a raging storm ,,,,,,and im not getting at you phil {CHEWY ]you took great care of her when she was at your station ,,lol,,,,,,just been looking through our relife boats service records and some years its been launched in anger couple of dozen times whilst other years perhaps just 6 times and they normaly only keep the 70,s for about 2 years .
Hi m chappelow just a quik one, could you tell me were i can find the serial no on the engine as the little tab on the back is missing cheers
__________________
hadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2009, 15:08   #10
Member
 
m chappelow's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,310
off hand no, but it could be on a core plug ,is there any stenciling on the leg ,wont give you the engine no but it might get you the id no, should also give you the hp. yes i know its a 70 , lol,,,if you get the id no you may still be able to get info from rnli,,,,,not saying it is but it could be from another source ex contract ,eg ex coast guard or something ,, just seems that you say its a 2001 model rnli normally keep them 2 years / 4 years at the most it could have been but whats it been doing for the last number of years were nearley in 2010,
__________________
m chappelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 06:30   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: PORTSMOUTH
Make: Avon 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha 60FE -
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,870
The evinrude 70 I had on the sr5 I sold recently in comparison to my 60 was very noticeable, good unit and easy to work on - hard to put my finger on exactly, more top end and torquey'r
__________________
------------------------------
http://www.ollysrib.741.com
ollyit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 14:03   #12
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,909
Superb little engines which have changed little over the decades because they got it right the first time round. Mine ran at about 4 gallons an hour on a Ribtec 535.

Chewy might be able to enlighten us to the changes the RNLI make to water proof them. Mine was spotless inside and a credit to who ever had maintained it in the past.

Pete
__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2009, 14:08   #13
Member
 
chewy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Chewy might be able to enlighten us to the changes the RNLI make to water proof them. Mine was spotless inside and a credit to who ever had maintained it in the past.

Pete
Any inversion proofing will have been removed before sale to the public, it featured a letter box style flap inside an alloy cover in front of the carbs and mercury switches to stop the engine if it went over.
Rinsed off and sprayed with WD40 after every use is the only thing that help prevent corrosion under the hood.

On a recent thread people said not to use WD40, how is the wiring etc on yours?
__________________
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 December 2009, 13:55   #14
Member
 
Pete7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
Any inversion proofing will have been removed before sale to the public, it featured a letter box style flap inside an alloy cover in front of the carbs and mercury switches to stop the engine if it went over.
Rinsed off and sprayed with WD40 after every use is the only thing that help prevent corrosion under the hood.

On a recent thread people said not to use WD40, how is the wiring etc on yours?
Never had a problem with the wiring, although tended to use Quicksilver rather than WD40.

Pete
__________________

__________________
.
Ribnet is best viewed on a computer of some sort
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.