Old 29 November 2007, 14:16   #12

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Yeh, just do it locally. Why would you send them to the UK, or anywhere for that matter? Buy all you might need and you can easily rebuild an engine in a few days. I presume there are some local machine shop facilities should you need them. I've got a feeling Volvo do rebuild kits. The other parts to check are the camshaft and followers. The cam pretty well determines the characteristic of the engine.

Well it is. They're just old tech cast iron engines.
OK, clever clogs wind yer neck in a bit. It's obvious that Stephen is no fool and if he's running shy of rebuilding these things, it's going to be for good reason. It's all very well listing the basic processes involved with doing the job, but he is in the middle of the South Atlantic with, probably little in the way of engineering facilities at hand. As he mentioned, head skimming is an issue. How about snapped head bolts, seized this or corroded that. Where as we whip down to the local machine shop and chuck 'em a tenner, that mighten be an option in Benniesville nr. Argentina.

Old 29 November 2007, 15:26   #13

Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
RIBase
100hp more?

Hi Stephen,

You say that the replacement engine might be 100hp more? - What engine?
63p is 370hp IIRC - what is being suggested?

If going new the D6 might be a suitable replacement. It can be had with ratings of about 330hp - 435hp (leisure ratings) or 280hp - 370hp (Commercial planing). It's a 6 litre engine like your 63s and from those that i've seen a little more compact.

All electronic though and I appreciate that this might not be as "robust" as you want down there.
Old 29 November 2007, 17:13   #14

Town: Essex/Vendee
Boat name: shockwave,Voluntry 2
Make: Pac 22/ searider5.4
Length: 6m +
Engine: 180hp turbo,yam 90
Hi Steven,Check out Eurotex International limited they have a website and if you think they can help i could always talk to one of their directors for you as i have done some business with him before.it would be worth an email.
Old 29 November 2007, 17:58   #15

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
OK, clever clogs wind yer neck in a bit.
On re-reading, it did appear as though I was having a dig at you. I wasn't, honest. Although I do find your confidence in the professionals a bit odd. Any time I use em, I regret it.
Quote:
How about snapped head bolts, seized this or corroded that. Where as we whip down to the local machine shop and chuck 'em a tenner,
Well you might. I'd just get out the centre punch and drill. Anyway, I've never snapped a head bolt.
Old 29 November 2007, 18:02   #16

Quote:
On re-reading, it did appear as though I was having a dig at you. I wasn't, honest. Although I do find your confidence in the professionals a bit odd. Any time I use em, I regret it. Well you might. I'd just get out the centre punch and drill. Anyway, I've never snapped a head bolt.
'Dig' at me? I didn't think so. I'll always bow to your greater knowledge and wisdom. Which, incidently, is something you never miss an opportunity to impress us with. Whether it's required or not.
Old 29 November 2007, 18:08   #17

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Old 30 November 2007, 04:35   #18

Town: Farnborough
Boat name: Eleven
Make: Arrow
Engine: 557cu, 700hp
Yep.

Quote:
...Any time I use em, I regret it.
Old 30 November 2007, 05:11   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yep.
Yeah, ALL professionals are the same. My Granny went for a hip replacement last month and came out with a cracking set of 34DD's.
Old 30 November 2007, 06:15   #20

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searider View Post
Hi Stephen,

You say that the replacement engine might be 100hp more? - What engine?
63p is 370hp IIRC - what is being suggested?

If going new the D6 might be a suitable replacement. It can be had with ratings of about 330hp - 435hp (leisure ratings) or 280hp - 370hp (Commercial planing). It's a 6 litre engine like your 63s and from those that i've seen a little more compact.

All electronic though and I appreciate that this might not be as "robust" as you want down there.
The TAMD63L-A engines fitted to the Speedwell at the moment were commercially rated to 235hp @ 2500rpm - the old original 61's were about 210 I think. So 310hp is a big jump, but I guess it is not rocket science to limit/derate the engines anyway - it is the complexity of changing EVERYTHING over including engine mounts which are glassed into the hull, that I am not at all keen on. Because it is all electronic control it also needs the gearboxes changed at the same time, it means none of the spare gearboxes we have will fit (gearboxes last as little as six months!) meaning extra cost.

The issue with doing the work here is partly about experience and availability of machining facilities but to be honest it is more about spares availability in the middle of the job. It's fine to get an overhaul kit but if you pull it to bits and break something or find something you didn't expect, it's a minimum 2 week wait to get anything here even by DHL. And at the moment the flight that brings the DHL in is mostly full of passengers, at work we've just waited six weeks for an urgent DHL consignment of vehicle spares due to lack of space on the aircraft. And if you get into it and find the cylinder head is warped or something, the cost of getting something like that down by DHL is telephone numbers even if it does come when you want it (15 a kilo approx).

We might well end up doing it (if I can find a spare engine to drop in to give us some time to play with) but the preferred option is to get two new or factory recon engines to go in now. I do hear what JW says about often doing a better job yourself and I have experience of that too

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote