Old 26 November 2005, 12:36   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
Here's a post I made last year about tank dipping. I've been stopped and dipped three times this year. Once near Redditch and twice on the A55 on Anglesey.
Wonder what the legal situation is on nicking people's vehicles - what happens if they are owned by a company - or are on finance - or are hired or leased? In all those cases the person driving who put the fuel in is NOT the legal owner.

Old 26 November 2005, 12:47   #22
ADS

Town: Dorset
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Wonder what the legal situation is on nicking people's vehicles - what happens if they are owned by a company - or are on finance - or are hired or leased? In all those cases the person driving who put the fuel in is NOT the legal owner.
Good point Cod, but in the case of company cars the fuel is paid for by the company for business mileage usually so its owner isn't going to bother trying to save money by using red because he/she isn't paying for the fuel. Unless they ran it on red and then claimed it back from their employer at full price

Alex

Old 26 November 2005, 12:51   #23

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Seizure of vehicles used in the commission of crimes is well established in UK law. Who owns it is immaterial.
Old 26 November 2005, 12:56   #24

Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Quote:
On a First offence they return the vehicle after the relevent fines have been paid. Second offence you wave it goodbye. You then owe the finance/lease company if that's the case. It's like having a big loan on a car and 3rd party insurance. Write it off and keep paying with no car.
Old 26 November 2005, 13:12   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
Seizure of vehicles used in the commission of crimes is well established in UK law. Who owns it is immaterial.
I wouldn't have thought so - are you saying that if someone nicks a bus and uses it in a crime the bus company will have the bus siezed?

Or that Avis will lose a car they have hired to someone who then commits a crime with it?
Old 26 November 2005, 13:18   #26

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmanning
Here's a post I made last year about tank dipping. I've been stopped and dipped three times this year. Once near Redditch and twice on the A55 on Anglesey.
Can you blame them. you're at best a dodgy looking geeza! They probably saw promotion when you came trundling past ( well all right then.... not quite past!)

On a less flippant note how much was the fine! AW sorry only joshing

Seriously though folks , if there was no duty benefit from using diesel over petrol, would anybody choose a diesel engine.....I think I might for the right boat!
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2005, 14:04   #27

Town: Somerset
Make: Halmatic P22
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 Diesel
Quote:
I wouldn't have thought so - are you saying that if someone nicks a bus and uses it in a crime the bus company will have the bus siezed?

Or that Avis will lose a car they have hired to someone who then commits a crime with it?
If someone nicks a bus then the crime is vehicle theft and the bus was not used in the commission of the theft, but was the object of the theft.

Seizure of a vehicle (in C&E and insurance type offences where seizure is generally used) allows the police to hold the vehicle until the fines etc. are paid in full.

Just look up Criminal Justice Act in Google before you go off on one.
Old 26 November 2005, 14:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate
If someone nicks a bus then the crime is vehicle theft and the bus was not used in the commission of the theft, but was the object of the theft.

Seizure of a vehicle (in C&E and insurance type offences where seizure is generally used) allows the police to hold the vehicle until the fines etc. are paid in full.

Just look up Criminal Justice Act in Google before you go off on one.
It all comes down to the legal title - if a person hires a vehicle it is still the legal property of the hire company. Also if it is on HP ore other finance the property belongs to the finance company.
Old 26 November 2005, 15:58   #29

Town: Brittany
Length: no boat
Quote:
I would guess hire contracts are similar the world over.

I know that in the US as far as Avis are concerned, they consider they have sold the car to the hirer who had it seized if it is not returned at the end of the hire period.

Exactly the same as if the car is written off while an un-authorised driver was driving.
Old 26 November 2005, 19:32   #30

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
When we went over to Irvine boat jumble with the Jackeens, the C&E were there dipping a car tank. It was a normal vehicle and not agricultural or a 4x4.

Just though you might like to know, Cod.