Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 30 November 2008, 05:38   #1
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Red at 5% duty

Not sure if anyones posted this but just read in PBO that there's been a turn around and instead of Red diesel being taxed at 17.5% as was planned (would have ended up 15%) they have backed down to 5%!
__________________

__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 06:15   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
Not sure if anyones posted this but just read in PBO that there's been a turn around and instead of Red diesel being taxed at 17.5% as was planned (would have ended up 15%) they have backed down to 5%!
Here's one for the legal eagles, If I were say a farmer/or legally paying the reduced rate of tax on my agricultural diesel. I also have a boat also using red at the new higher rate.

If I were stopped by the Police in a road vehicle, and charged with tax evasion for running it on red. Could my defence be the red came from the boat .... where would I stand, is not the burden of proof on the authorities?
__________________

__________________
.
IBWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 06:47   #3
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Here's one for the legal eagles, If I were say a farmer/or legally paying the reduced rate of tax on my agricultural diesel. I also have a boat also using red at the new higher rate.

If I were stopped by the Police in a road vehicle, and charged with tax evasion for running it on red. Could my defence be the red came from the boat .... where would I stand, is not the burden of proof on the authorities?
In which case you will have made a false declaration to HMRC when you bought the fuel for your "boat". As at the point of sale you are required to sign a declaration which says: 'I declare that [ ] % of the fuel purchased will be used for propelling a private pleasure craft'.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 07:09   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
In which case you will have made a false declaration to HMRC when you bought the fuel for your "boat". As at the point of sale you are required to sign a declaration which says: 'I declare that [ ] % of the fuel purchased will be used for propelling a private pleasure craft'.
Okay,declaration duly signed I now put the red fuel in the road car,with no financial incentive to do so.

As a law breaker, my fictitious farmer's crime would be ... I'm trying to establish degree's of severity, presently red is black and white as far as the law is concerned with fines and cars being impounded because the intention is obvious.

I think this will fall on it's face.
__________________
.
IBWET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 07:15   #5
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Here's one for the legal eagles, If I were say a farmer/or legally paying the reduced rate of tax on my agricultural diesel. I also have a boat also using red at the new higher rate.

If I were stopped by the Police in a road vehicle, and charged with tax evasion for running it on red. Could my defence be the red came from the boat .... where would I stand, is not the burden of proof on the authorities?
It's Customs & Excise.Realistically burden of proof will be on you,whether you're breaking the law or not. I wouldn't expect to get the car back either as they are likely to sell it off in the meantime.

One thing I learned from regularly crossing the channel in the days when you had to wait an hour on the mooring before landing was you don't f*ck with Customs and Excise as they are bastards of the highest order and as unaccountable as you can get.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 07:30   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Okay,declaration duly signed I now put the red fuel in the road car,with no financial incentive to do so.
you have - you will have paid 10% less VAT on it than road diesel.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 07:43   #7
Member
 
Bigmuz7's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
you don't f*ck with Customs and Excise as they are bastards of the highest order and as unaccountable as you can get.
Never a truer word said They have more powers of search than the police .. without warrant.. etc and if you piss them off .. you're on the radar, and they'll wait to trip you up elsewhere
__________________
Bigmuz7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2008, 07:55   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Never a truer word said They have more powers of search than the police .. without warrant.. etc and if you piss them off .. you're on the radar, and they'll wait to trip you up elsewhere
Yep.

I suspect there aren't too many on here that have been subjected to a full customs search unless they are regularly using their boat to go abroad. They miss NOTHING.
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.