Old 20 June 2011, 19:03   #1

Boat name: Ocean Escapes
Make: Excalibur
Length: 9m +
Engine: 150Yamaha&300Verado
Rectifier Burnt out...

Hi Guys,
Yesterday While on my way back to the marina my engine died, I just about made it back in, after a long search we found the problem the main fuse was blown as a result of a burnt out rectifier, I have removed the old one with the aim of fitting a new one, the engine in question is a 2003 mercury 4stroke engine. I recieved a phone call about 30min ago with a price for a new part, €720!!!!!! €600 Trade! this seems like alot, I was thinking about €150... is there anywhere I could pick one of these up second hand? Ireland or England?? Thanks for your help once again guys!
Old 20 June 2011, 20:21   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreworiordan View Post
Hi Guys,
Yesterday While on my way back to the marina my engine died, I just about made it back in, after a long search we found the problem the main fuse was blown as a result of a burnt out rectifier, I have removed the old one with the aim of fitting a new one, the engine in question is a 2003 mercury 4stroke engine. I recieved a phone call about 30min ago with a price for a new part, €720!!!!!! €600 Trade! this seems like alot, I was thinking about €150... is there anywhere I could pick one of these up second hand? Ireland or England?? Thanks for your help once again guys!
Try talking to Electrex.They might be able to do something.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2011, 20:51   #3

Town: clifden
Boat name: outbound
Make: avon 6m\ osprey 6,25
Length: 6m +
Engine: outboard suzi df140
a common fault on these engines, your lucky it didnt go on fire, i have an old one that was over charging by 3 volts, i m sure its t same as te yam 100 4, try john flood marine in the north or ker in donegal both yam dealers, you cant pay 720 .
Old 20 June 2011, 21:11   #4

I believe they are similar if not the same engine blocks as the yamaha 100 4s, Will call a few yam dealers tomorrow, I have also emailed electrex world, I have the number off the old rectifier RS41 53 2F19, hoping to be back in the water asap.
Old 20 June 2011, 21:19   #5
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
I believe they are similar if not the same engine blocks as the yamaha 100 4s, Will call a few yam dealers tomorrow, I have also emailed electrex world, I have the number off the old rectifier RS41 53 2F19, hoping to be back in the water asap.
Electrex should be significantly cheaper than anywhere else. I use them a fair bit for bike electrics and they always beat OEM prices by a long way.

If they can't help with a straight replacement,you may find if you can provide them with the alternator type they can match it with a bike unit that'll fit with new contacts fitted.

Old 20 June 2011, 21:24   #6

where would i be able to find the alternator type? I have the serial number off the engine but finding it hard to try find any info on her
Old 20 June 2011, 21:27   #7
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
where would i be able to find the alternator type? I have the serial number off the engine but finding it hard to try find any info on her
That's the hard bit (sorry!).

You need to know enough about electrics to work it out yourself from the wiring diagramme and the max AC output (should also be in the manual) from the alternator-unless you can post a wiring diagramme on here and the max AC output and someone will be able to tell you.

Old 20 June 2011, 21:53   #8

where is t rectifier situated on your engine , is she carb or injected
Old 21 June 2011, 15:25   #9

The engine is a carb model and the rectifier is located behind the air filter, i had to remove part of this to get at the unit, I have no wiring diagrams or workshop manuals for the engine, i have been trying to find what i can online.

I also received an email today from a company in America for $446.50 (€310)

What would happen if the rectifier was left out for a while? could it burn out the staters? or will it just not charge the battery
Old 21 June 2011, 19:38   #10

Just had a look at boats.net as advertised on here, I found the part on there for $140, they will not ship overseas but I could arrange to get it shipped from the states, sounds too good to be true?! has anyone had any dealing with them?
Old 21 June 2011, 21:28   #11

evening andrew, checked for my one and cant find it and i had 2, thats t location on t yam also i bet its t same , they can be got for $240 in t states,i m sure i only paid about 200 stg for mine, i would nt run with out it cos i aint sure so would not chance it . looked again and found it number is rs 41 48 1 l 11. 1 red bullet, 1 black ring 1 green female bullet and a black 3 wire multi plug with green wires, the yam partno is 67f 81960 12, pm me your number and i ll call ya, not t best on tpying haha pat
Old 21 June 2011, 23:42   #12

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Andrew, exactly the same happened to me in the middle of the sound of Jura last year - there's a thread about it somewhere on here. Call Hank at American Marine, he'll sort you out. (Past bed time and quietly mellow, so can't remember phone number.) They don't have a web site, but Google them and you get a number from one of the directories that will come up. I think they're in the Midlands somewhere.

They are major importers of Mercury parts and speak to the factory in the US every morning. They got mine from there no probs - even though Belgium couldn't get them. Great chap, really helpful.

It was quite expensive, but the kit includes a complete wiring loom too, which is important as things are slightly different. (Circa £400 I think) Best of luck. Tony
Old 22 June 2011, 09:54   #13

Town: Sydney
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribtec 890SX
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME 421STI x 2
Have purchased non genuine from US eBay before for an older Evinrude and a Mariner. Both times with success and at about one third the asking price from dealers in Australia.

Just one word of warning, Google forums for the brand they are trying to sell you as some get great reviews and others don't.

Also go for the seller with lots of sales and feedback.
Old 22 June 2011, 18:04   #14

So, I found the genuine mercury part in the US, they will not ship outside Due to Mercurys Rules and Regulations that they work under, the mercury part number is 804278t11, they will however ship yamaha parts to Ireland
(part #67f 81960 12), does anyone know if the yamaha regulator/rectifier work with the mercury engine? it sounds as if it will, I know the engine blocks are the same but is the electrical system? and from what nan-ber described of his yamaha regulator it sounds the same as mine!?!?