Old 20 May 2015, 18:29   #1

Town: Eastbourne
Length: no boat
Recommended Engine Size for 3.5m Inflatable?

Hi,

I'll be buying a Honwave t35AE (3.5m, aluminium floor) soon and am looking at outboards for it. I'm after some advice on what size to go for in terms of HP. The boat is rated for a 20hp/ 55kgs engine which made me think that that's what i'd go for. I think i could manage lugging it out of the boot of the car onto a trolley and the dingy would have transom wheels, so i think i should be able to just about cope with the weight, plus there will usually be two of us.

The boat would be for general leisure use, taking wife and two kids out, some fishing with a couple of other adults, etc. I'd like it to be able to tow a ringo or kneeboard or similar too. I know i won't be wakeboarding with this setup, but i'd still like a bit of speed. Does 20hp sound about right for this on this sized boat? I looked at 15's and they seem to weigh in at the same as a 20, so a 20's what i've been looking for so far.

Also, I've budgeted around 1000ish for a used engine. I've seen from looking online that that can mean an engine at this size anywhere from 5 to 25 years old. Even the adverts for the newer ones in a higher price range rarely mention anything about paperwork or service history. Would it be fair to say to stay away from anything without paperwork or service history? I really don't fancy having it breakdown on the south coast with two toddlers on board, but can't afford to buy brand new at this engine size.

Any advice regarding engine size or buying secondhand would be appreciated, i do know about checking compression and impeller function, etc. but not a great deal else about outboard motors.

Thanks in advance.

Old 20 May 2015, 19:16   #2

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Hello and welcome Don. I had a 3.5AE until last year. I thought it a well made and very stable SIB... only sold as for our use it was a bit heavy. We had a mint Mariner 15 2-stroke which is as much as I can lift easily but in truth if you can lift a 20 the 3.5AE would appreciate that bit of extra power.

You very rarely get any sort of history with outboards other than verbal claims/truths so it's usually a case of weighing up the seller. My experience over the past 25yrs of many outboards in the 2-25hp range is that on the whole they are little used, keep in good condition and stay very reliable.

Having said that if you can stick to the latter end of availability of 2-strokes being sold new... years 2000-2006.

Old 20 May 2015, 19:40   #3

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Salty Cheeks
Make: Honwave
Engine: 20hp 2stroke Mariner
[QUOTE=Don Logan;678982]Hi,

I'll be buying a Honwave t35AE (3.5m, aluminium floor) soon and am looking at outboards for it. I'm after some advice on what size to go for in terms of HP. The boat is rated for a 20hp/ 55kgs engine which made me think that that's what i'd go for. I think i could manage lugging it out of the boot of the car onto a trolley and the dingy would have transom wheels, so i think i should be able to just about cope with the weight, plus there will usually be two of us.

The boat would be for general leisure use, taking wife and two kids out, some fishing with a couple of other adults, etc. I'd like it to be able to tow a ringo or kneeboard or similar too. I know i won't be wakeboarding with this setup, but i'd still like a bit of speed. Does 20hp sound about right for this on this sized boat? I looked at 15's and they seem to weigh in at the same as a 20, so a 20's what i've been looking for so far.

Also, I've budgeted around 1000ish for a used engine. I've seen from looking online that that can mean an engine at this size anywhere from 5 to 25 years old. Even the adverts for the newer ones in a higher price range rarely mention anything about paperwork or service history. Would it be fair to say to stay away from anything without paperwork or service history? I really don't fancy having it breakdown on the south coast with two toddlers on board, but can't afford to buy brand new at this engine size.

Any advice regarding engine size or buying secondhand would be appreciated, i do know about checking compression and impeller function, etc. but not a great deal else

Hi

You never said if you were buying new or 2nd hand boat.I would go for the 4mtr not enough room for 4 really,you would want more space .Also a 25 or even a 30hp weight is the same if your but will stretch.
Old 20 May 2015, 20:49   #4

[QUOTE=dave3235;678985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Logan View Post
Hi,

Any advice regarding engine size or buying secondhand would be appreciated, i do know about checking compression and impeller function, etc. but not a great deal else

Hi

You never said if you were buying new or 2nd hand boat.I would go for the 4mtr not enough room for 4 really,you would want more space .Also a 25 or even a 30hp weight is the same if your but will stretch.

Sorry !!! Ment to say budget
Old 20 May 2015, 21:38   #5

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Always go for the max if you can afford to. Most of the time a bigger engine ends up costing less in the long run, they don't have to works as hard so can sit in a lower rpm range using less fuel. You also have extra power with heavy loads that a small engine may not even get you on the plane with.

Boating should be about having fun, you tend to have more fun with more power!!
Jon
Old 21 May 2015, 03:09   #6

Town: Eastbourne
Length: no boat
  • Thanks for the replies. Well regarding getting the 4metre instead of the 3.5, it will very rarely have more than two adults and two kids to be honest and the second hand 3.5 that I've seen is a good price and includes transom wheels. Also, it needs to be half portable which is why I thought I'd stick to the 3.5
  • Regarding a two stroke over a four stroke: are they any more reliable? Any problem laying them down in the boot of a car? Many thanks...
Old 21 May 2015, 04:07   #7

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Where are you launching? You'll struggle around here unless you're going to the slip at Newhaven. A 15 hp 2 stroke is manageable down the beach, forget a 25 4 stroke unless you are both big fit young and strong.

It's all about compromise but a 15 2 stroke is the best compromise for 3.5m SIBs. Some info in the sticky Which Sib above too and in a gazillion other similar topics!

Re' towing, if you have growing toddlers then they will be too small for toys I guess but my young son (size of a 10 yr old) can easily kneeboard behind our rig. I would not attempt this with an adult especially with toddlers on board as you need a driver and an observer, boat will be very unsteady as they are so light.

If you're new to this look at doing the PB2 first and the VHF course is a must if going to sea.
Old 21 May 2015, 04:35   #8

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
You also have the fact that two strokes are smelly compared to 4 strokes, as soon as my kids got a whiff of two stroke smoke they were spewing over the side not wanting to go again (until I bought a 4 stroke). Most modern 4 strokes are close to the same weight as 2 strokes.

Suzuki 20 4 stroke 44kg
Suzuki 30 2 stroke (no 20 hp) 57kg
Suzuki's EFI 15/20hp Portables Boat News, Review & Advice - boatpoint.com.au
Jon
Old 21 May 2015, 05:43   #9

Hi

Pacer Marine are selling 4mtr for 950 plenty of growing room.Two adults 2 kids you will not be comfortable especially with some kit on.
Old 21 May 2015, 05:49   #10

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I'd disagree - a 3.4 to 3.8 is fine with a family, two adults and two teens let alone toddlers. Go to a 4m and it's a lot more weight especially with the solid floor - and the airfloor 4m Honwave is well known as being floppy as a floppy thing.