Old 05 July 2014, 11:36   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Reaching the end of my tether with outboards...non-runner...

Arrrghh. FFS...etc...

All loaded up, family, picnic on board, across country, river slipway, boat in, family on board....no-go...try for an eternity...no-go, load it all back up and home, why do we bother!?

What is it with outboards? I've owned 20 odd cars over the years, leave for a month or two they start on the button.

This is my Mariner 2006 15 2 smoke, near immaculate inside and out, perfectly maintained, purchased a couple of months ago. Only used it twice, on the sea and did not miss a beat. Last time 3 weeks ago, flushed after, run dry, fuel stabaliser used all year round as paranoid about the ethanol thing ( Ethanol in fuel - a potential disaster?? )

Today just would not start, took hood off (as tiller gear shift) and with 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it would start and run OK but no idle, soon as I let throttle off it died.

Any idea guys? Presuming some carb/idle jet issue?

Seriously thinking this is it with boating as the frustration of outboards is seemingly not worth the hassle, why can't they just run like cars...

Wasn't alone today as the only other boater down there had the same issue - non-runner, fuel issue.

Old 05 July 2014, 12:55   #2

Town: Oakland CA
I'd guess carbs. Probably contaminated fuel causing blockages. I wouldn't think a month isn't enough to cause problems due to deteriorating fuel.

Out of curiosity, how many 2-stroke cars have you owned?

I laid off diving for a year, so the boat only went out twice for abalone diving. Sat for about 6 months, then again for about 4. Aside from making sure the battery was charged, didn't do anything special. Took a bit of cranking (maybe 20 seconds) but fired up and ran fine both times. F-115; I'm pretty pleased with it.

jky

Old 05 July 2014, 14:32   #3

Town: Oldham
Boat name: Nemanda
Make: Aluminium
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140hp Tohatsu
MMSI: 235065639
Tank not vented is my guess. Sunny day load of pressure in the tank causing a fuel shortage. If you loosen the fuel cap and here air escaping deffo that
Old 05 July 2014, 14:39   #4

Boat name: Hysucat
Make: Hysucat
Length: 8m +
Engine: Twin Suzuki 175's
MMSI: 235102645
RIBase
Thats a bummer.

But it is most likely very simple - crap fuel, fuel blockage or shortage as previously mentioned.

Once you get it sorted that will be a lesson learned so it wont happen next time.

Could be worse.
Old 05 July 2014, 16:05   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Did check all the basis of course, fuel supply, tank vent etc. Mild, windy and raining down here!

Always use decent branded fuel with stabiliser and correct oil ratio, tank is clean, brand new inline fuel filter in the new fuel line + filter in engine cleaned. Fuel flowing fine and it runs fine at throttle open so that's not the issue. Not sure what 'lesson' I can learn TBH, I look after it impeccably and do everything I can to help it run reliably but you'd think you could rely on an engine to restart and run ought given the scenario in the OP...
Old 05 July 2014, 16:54   #6

Town: bicester
Length: no boat
Engine: outboard only
It sounds like fuel trouble, will it tick over and run ok if pressure is kept on the primer bulb? If it does I would want to fit a fuel pump repair kit,if it doesnt see some suggestions below.
1/ is it old stale fuel? if so remove strip clean the carbureter re-assemble and refit.
2/ has it been serviced recently?
3/ are the correct spark plugs fitted as per parts book?
4/ is the obm set up correctly as per chapter on settings for timing and carburation?
5/ are the compressions ok?
good luck
Old 05 July 2014, 17:31   #7

Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Arrrghh. FFS...etc...

All loaded up, family, picnic on board, across country, river slipway, boat in, family on board....no-go...try for an eternity...no-go, load it all back up and home, why do we bother!?

What is it with outboards? I've owned 20 odd cars over the years, leave for a month or two they start on the button.

This is my Mariner 2006 15 2 smoke, near immaculate inside and out, perfectly maintained, purchased a couple of months ago. Only used it twice, on the sea and did not miss a beat. Last time 3 weeks ago, flushed after, run dry, fuel stabaliser used all year round as paranoid about the ethanol thing ( Ethanol in fuel - a potential disaster?? )

Today just would not start, took hood off (as tiller gear shift) and with 1/4 to 1/2 throttle it would start and run OK but no idle, soon as I let throttle off it died.

Any idea guys? Presuming some carb/idle jet issue?

Seriously thinking this is it with boating as the frustration of outboards is seemingly not worth the hassle, why can't they just run like cars...

Wasn't alone today as the only other boater down there had the same issue - non-runner, fuel issue.
I am a newbie and not quite sure what I am doing however my old seloc manual says not to run an outboard dry before storing it. I think it had something to do with the fact that there is no lubrication left in the cylinder.
Old 05 July 2014, 17:39   #8

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Plugs
Old 05 July 2014, 17:57   #9

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Tank not vented is my guess. Sunny day load of pressure in the tank causing a fuel shortage. If you loosen the fuel cap and here air escaping deffo that

Surely an unvented tank under pressure in hot weather would increase fuel flow rather than cause fuel starvation?
Old 05 July 2014, 18:57   #10
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will75 View Post
Surely an unvented tank under pressure in hot weather would increase fuel flow rather than cause fuel starvation?
Yep..

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote