Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 June 2007, 03:30   #21
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Get someone else (with a different aaaaaaaaccent) to ring them and enquire if they have a Soozook 17" prop for sale
Maybe OD. 'Now, about this F'n prop'.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2007, 18:28   #22
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Ill say no more untill its sent off and I get some feedback .
Just so bloody busy boxing it up and getting into town to the PO is a major hassle at the moment .
__________________

__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 12:53   #23
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London SW18
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 47
After reading the thread regarding a propeller problem posted by Ian Parkes, I am yet again dismayed and annoyed to see how quickly people are to spread potentially damaging rumours about the services they think they have received.
I say this because if you read Mr Parkes's post he makes it sound like we do a shoddy job and don't care about customer satisfaction, indeed on the strength of his comments alone another person decided not to send his props in to us for repair, I am not saying that people should not complain, far from it but they should get their facts right before publicly condemning someone, I say this on behalf of all traders as this is something I have witnessed before directed against other companies.
In an attempt to put the records straight I would like to raise the following points--
1. The "flannel" that Mr Parkes refers to was an attempt to find out what may have gone wrong, it is not uncommon for props to get damaged in the post but as I stated to Mr Parkes we cannot say for certain what is wrong until we see the prop, what else could I say other than send it back. Obviously I understand that it is inconvenient and annoying for the customer if a problem does arise but you must appreciate that we will do our utmost to rectify any problems as soon as possible. Our policy is a happy customer is a repeat customer and will recommend our services. It is simply not in our interests to not to give a good reliable service or follow up if an unfortunate problem occurs and this is one aspect of how we have gained a good reputation for our services.
2. Regarding the postage, if the fault is down to us we will gladly refund the cost of standard postage both ways, this is our standard policy.
3. As to the suggestion that the wrong prop was sent back, the reason I can state so confidently that this was not the case is that when a repair is unpacked it is immediately stamped with a unique number which unless ground off stays with the prop for the rest of it's life.
4. The grinding marks mentioned may have been due to a repair or may simply have been the process of removing marks left from the re-pitching process, these very slight marks are of no consequence and do not affect performance in any way, in fact we have tested race propellers with polished finishes against ones with a matt finish, the matt ones performed slightly better, a nice shiny finish looks good but has no advantage.
"Sticky" mentioned the finish on his repaired prop, our policy is not to polish propellers after repair, it is a time consuming process and apart from removing even more material from the prop it would also add very significantly to the cost for no reason.
5. Regarding the blade alignment, 2mm difference between blades is in fact very close, most new props have errors in them it's the nature of mass production, as an example the Mercury Mirage prop is available with a standard or optional "lab finish", basically "lab finished" is hand finished to greater accuracy but this will cost you another $1000 !!.
When there are problems with services it is important to see how a company deals with it, in this case we haven't yet been given the chance as we haven't yet got the prop back but we seem to have been tried and convicted on the strength of what we might or might not do.
Sorry to go on but as I said before we are always happy to deal with problems and would just appreciate that people give suppliers a chance to put things right before spreading potentially damaging rumours, people need to understand that a few throw away comments can cause harm to any companies good reputation.
__________________
Julie

www.steeldevelopments.co.uk
propeller repairs & sales
Steel Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 16:14   #24
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Dev View Post
indeed on the strength of his comments alone another person decided not to send his props in to us for repair,
As I guess that is directed at me I should put my comments into context. As my profile says, I live in the Falkland Islands and the cost of sending my prop back to you would be quite considerable. Sending it back, and then paying the repair cost and then the postage/courier back again, would be cheaper than buying a new prop for a bit over £100 and shipping it down, but not a lot. If there is any possibility that it might not work to 100% as-new standard then I'd bin the prop and just order a new one, for the sake of perhaps £30 difference in the final cost it wouldn't be worth the risk of having a problem. If I lived down the road from you or even in the same hemisphere I'd certainly give the repair option a shot as the cost of a refurb would then be less than half the cost of a new prop so it would definitely be worth a go.
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 17:05   #25
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Length: 4m +
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Dev View Post
After reading the thread regarding a propeller problem posted by Ian Parkes, I am yet again dismayed and annoyed to see how quickly people are to spread potentially damaging rumours about the services they think they have received.
I say this because if you read Mr Parkes's post he makes it sound like we do a shoddy job and don't care about customer satisfaction, indeed on the strength of his comments alone another person decided not to send his props in to us for repair, I am not saying that people should not complain, far from it but they should get their facts right before publicly condemning someone, I say this on behalf of all traders as this is something I have witnessed before directed against other companies.
In an attempt to put the records straight I would like to raise the following points--
1. The "flannel" that Mr Parkes refers to was an attempt to find out what may have gone wrong, it is not uncommon for props to get damaged in the post but as I stated to Mr Parkes we cannot say for certain what is wrong until we see the prop, what else could I say other than send it back. Obviously I understand that it is inconvenient and annoying for the customer if a problem does arise but you must appreciate that we will do our utmost to rectify any problems as soon as possible. Our policy is a happy customer is a repeat customer and will recommend our services. It is simply not in our interests to not to give a good reliable service or follow up if an unfortunate problem occurs and this is one aspect of how we have gained a good reputation for our services.
2. Regarding the postage, if the fault is down to us we will gladly refund the cost of standard postage both ways, this is our standard policy.
3. As to the suggestion that the wrong prop was sent back, the reason I can state so confidently that this was not the case is that when a repair is unpacked it is immediately stamped with a unique number which unless ground off stays with the prop for the rest of it's life.
4. The grinding marks mentioned may have been due to a repair or may simply have been the process of removing marks left from the re-pitching process, these very slight marks are of no consequence and do not affect performance in any way, in fact we have tested race propellers with polished finishes against ones with a matt finish, the matt ones performed slightly better, a nice shiny finish looks good but has no advantage.
"Sticky" mentioned the finish on his repaired prop, our policy is not to polish propellers after repair, it is a time consuming process and apart from removing even more material from the prop it would also add very significantly to the cost for no reason.
5. Regarding the blade alignment, 2mm difference between blades is in fact very close, most new props have errors in them it's the nature of mass production, as an example the Mercury Mirage prop is available with a standard or optional "lab finish", basically "lab finished" is hand finished to greater accuracy but this will cost you another $1000 !!.
When there are problems with services it is important to see how a company deals with it, in this case we haven't yet been given the chance as we haven't yet got the prop back but we seem to have been tried and convicted on the strength of what we might or might not do.
Sorry to go on but as I said before we are always happy to deal with problems and would just appreciate that people give suppliers a chance to put things right before spreading potentially damaging rumours, people need to understand that a few throw away comments can cause harm to any companies good reputation.
As I said I intended returning this prop before making furthar comment . Hoping I could come back and say great its sorted .
However

I came here to get some feedback on props and re pitching etc . I don't know whats envolved although I have a sound knowlege of engineering .
When I saw my re pitched prop I thought maybe the blades had to be cut off and re welded back on then ground into shape again , thats how it looked to me .

1 yes I did feel flanelled , maybe you were having a bad day and I was the straw that broke the camels back.
You first said "maybe its because the prop simply doesn't suit your boat " as if I would send a prop off that didn't work on my boat .

You explained the grinder marks with the fact that the prop had needed a weld repair . I knew it was virtually as new when sent and quite frankly didn't believe that a tiny nick of approx .5mm would require welding and grinding of the whole blade . You state that a tolerance of 2mm on the blade is fine , hence simply rubbing out any small nicks in the leading edge would be fine .

2 you didn't say that postage would be refunded . Naturally having spent £60 plus for the "re pitch" plus my postage this end first time another lot of postage and time wasted plus the way I felt after the above (1) made me feel I wasting more money.

3 why didn't you tell me about your number stamp and ask me for the number to check with your records instead of just saying "its impossible" .

4 The grinding marks didn't bother me I simply asked if it was normal for re pitching , at the time you said it was from weld repairs .

5 I was simply asking how accurate blade alignment should be , and as said before the tolerances allowed and amount stated for weld repairs don't marry up.

I will get the prop to as soon as I can , but the reason i have little faith that my prop will ever be any good is because I ask myself just how many times can it be bent into shape and worked on before the metal work hardens etc . Plus material removed with a grinder can't be put back .

Maybe if you had a little more time for me on the phone and explained the process this post would never have happened .
__________________
ian parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2007, 18:04   #26
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes View Post

Maybe if you had a little more time for me on the phone and explained the process this post would never have happened .
....In a nutshell.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2007, 04:47   #27
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: CORNWALL
Length: no boat
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Dev View Post
After reading the thread regarding a propeller problem posted by Ian Parkes, I am yet again dismayed and annoyed to see how quickly people are to spread potentially damaging rumours about the services they think they have received.
I say this because if you read Mr Parkes's post he makes it sound like we do a shoddy job and don't care about customer satisfaction, indeed on the strength of his comments alone another person decided not to send his props in to us for repair, I am not saying that people should not complain, far from it but they should get their facts right before publicly condemning someone, I say this on behalf of all traders as this is something I have witnessed before directed against other companies.
In an attempt to put the records straight I would like to raise the following points--
1. The "flannel" that Mr Parkes refers to was an attempt to find out what may have gone wrong, it is not uncommon for props to get damaged in the post but as I stated to Mr Parkes we cannot say for certain what is wrong until we see the prop, what else could I say other than send it back. Obviously I understand that it is inconvenient and annoying for the customer if a problem does arise but you must appreciate that we will do our utmost to rectify any problems as soon as possible. Our policy is a happy customer is a repeat customer and will recommend our services. It is simply not in our interests to not to give a good reliable service or follow up if an unfortunate problem occurs and this is one aspect of how we have gained a good reputation for our services.
2. Regarding the postage, if the fault is down to us we will gladly refund the cost of standard postage both ways, this is our standard policy.
3. As to the suggestion that the wrong prop was sent back, the reason I can state so confidently that this was not the case is that when a repair is unpacked it is immediately stamped with a unique number which unless ground off stays with the prop for the rest of it's life.
4. The grinding marks mentioned may have been due to a repair or may simply have been the process of removing marks left from the re-pitching process, these very slight marks are of no consequence and do not affect performance in any way, in fact we have tested race propellers with polished finishes against ones with a matt finish, the matt ones performed slightly better, a nice shiny finish looks good but has no advantage.
"Sticky" mentioned the finish on his repaired prop, our policy is not to polish propellers after repair, it is a time consuming process and apart from removing even more material from the prop it would also add very significantly to the cost for no reason.
5. Regarding the blade alignment, 2mm difference between blades is in fact very close, most new props have errors in them it's the nature of mass production, as an example the Mercury Mirage prop is available with a standard or optional "lab finish", basically "lab finished" is hand finished to greater accuracy but this will cost you another $1000 !!.
When there are problems with services it is important to see how a company deals with it, in this case we haven't yet been given the chance as we haven't yet got the prop back but we seem to have been tried and convicted on the strength of what we might or might not do.
[B]Sorry to go on but as I said before we are always happy to deal with problems and would just appreciate that people give suppliers a chance to put things right before spreading potentially damaging rumours, people need to understand that a few throw away comments can cause harm to any companies good reputation.


What ever happened to "Freedom of speech".

I DONT THINK, " I KNOW WHAT SERVICE I GOT "
I also suspect work was carried out that was not required.
What I posted was factual and not intended to damage any companies reputation,it was in responce to a fellow ribster that had dealings with and similar experiences to myself.
__________________
sticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2007, 07:38   #28
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London SW18
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 47
Again the point I am making is that seeking advice is one thing and naming any company straight away another, advice could have been sought on the forum etc and us given a chance to sort out the problem as we suggested, then a response posted based on the outcome rather than assumption as is the case so far.

This is obviously a genuine complaint and if indeed we had been dismissive and refused to deal with the problem there would be cause maybe for spreading the news so to speak.

As I said before forums are a positive thing but can be a little dangerous when people air their views as they are inevitably personal and others donít have the benefit of being witness to the original facts, conversations and the context in which they were made. I certainly believe in free speech but I do not believe in publicly condemning a company when we have given a reasonable response to a complaint of "please return the item so we can inspect it and sort the problem out".
__________________

__________________
Julie

www.steeldevelopments.co.uk
propeller repairs & sales
Steel Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.