Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 04 October 2006, 09:26   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
I have my engine mounted on a transom jack - with 10" setback - it's mainly on racing boats you see them though!!!

Fair comment about the passengers but they don't hang off the boat behind the transom - just my observations from watching every RIB video I get my hands on!!!
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2006, 09:36   #12
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 936
Re twins

Your boat could handle a pair of twins Cod, couple of 250's, then she would really fly!! Have you noticed people never say... I"m thinking of taking one engine off my boat. Or... I would like to put a smaller motor on my boat.
It just doesn't work!!
__________________

__________________
pathalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2006, 11:22   #13
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Look again - a few of the landings were fairly stern end heavy. I know I watched that video about 100 times!!!

If you thought that was impressive watch this

http://www.boomeranger.fi/images/ind...conditions.mpg

Right at the start you will see the boat lands VERY stern down - but it is running unladen - all the seats in the front would normally be filled with troops which would balance it out far better.

It is only at the very end when it comes alongside the support vessel you realise just how rough it REALLY is!!!

Impressive holeshot isn't only the preserve of twins - my boat jumps like a scalded cat because of the 19" 4 blade prop - limits my top speed to 41kts thopugh - will try another prop this weekend....
Yes but the ones where it was a stern heavy landing was when taking off at a very high angle! Put it this way, it flies exactly the way I would like my perfect boat to fly and I still really want one

Have seen the other video before, quite impressive too. Funnily enough I also seem to be accumulating a goodly collection of RIB videos, quite a few from the Blue Ice website, Richard's ones are excellent

41 kt is a bit slow codders even my old Humber with its swiss cheese tubes gets to 39kt with a lawnmower engine on the back
__________________
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2006, 17:15   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southampton
Boat name: SMH Rib / War Shot
Make: Ribtec / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 10hp Yam / 150hp opt
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,894
RIBase
Option 3?

How about puting another Opti 225 alongside your existing one. Cheapest way of getting a twin installation. - I guess it depends if your boat is suitable for two engines.

Not sure if the cowlings would match up - but you might be able to fit a new set of cowlings to fit your old engine to make it all look good?
__________________
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2006, 17:20   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Yup 41kts is slow - different prop on soon - trouble is from one extreme to the other - 19" to a 24" - won't know until I try though!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2006, 17:29   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Yup 41kts is slow - different prop on soon - trouble is from one extreme to the other - 19" to a 24" - won't know until I try though!!!
Cod,
Have you been to see Tot in SD Marine? He may have something in between? I think going from 19" to 24" will be taking you from one extreme to the other.
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2006, 17:51   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Abersoch and Wirral`
Boat name: Pitch
Make: Zodiac CZ7
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x Evinrude 175 Etec
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
Yes but the ones where it was a stern heavy landing was when taking off at a very high angle! Put it this way, it flies exactly the way I would like my perfect boat to fly and I still really want one

Have seen the other video before, quite impressive too. Funnily enough I also seem to be accumulating a goodly collection of RIB videos, quite a few from the Blue Ice website, Richard's ones are excellent

41 kt is a bit slow codders even my old Humber with its swiss cheese tubes gets to 39kt with a lawnmower engine on the back


I have been out in some pretty decent seas as well as long rolling swells and it is very stable in both and lands just fine and I have twin 175 Etecs on the back - if you are ever in North Wales you are very welcome to come out and find out for yourself


ATB

Jon
__________________
jellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2006, 17:52   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai
Cod,
Have you been to see Tot in SD Marine? He may have something in between? I think going from 19" to 24" will be taking you from one extreme to the other.
I only bought the 24" because 49 for a like new stainless prop just HAD to be worth a try!!!

Did ask him a while ago but he said he'd sold them all off cheap!!! Will have to give him another try - thanks for the tip.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2006, 17:56   #19
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis
I have been out in some pretty decent seas as well as long rolling swells and it is very stable in both and lands just fine and I have twin 175 Etecs on the back - if you are ever in North Wales you are very welcome to come out and find out for yourself
I'd love to but I've only ever been to Wales twice in my 33 years so it may be a while

Thanks for the offer
__________________
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 October 2006, 18:01   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Abersoch and Wirral`
Boat name: Pitch
Make: Zodiac CZ7
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2x Evinrude 175 Etec
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster
I'd love to but I've only ever been to Wales twice in my 33 years so it may be a while

Thanks for the offer

Thats more often than i have been to the Falklands!!!!
__________________

__________________
jellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.