Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Engines & props
Click Here to Login

Old 15 April 2007, 19:26   #1

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
Putting 4 strroke outboard down on wrong side

Well, I guess I'm not the first, but I still feel like a prize ******.

I went to unload my Suzuki DF9.9 4 stroke outboard out of the car, and realised I'd put it in the car on the 'wrong' side (ie with the 'this way up' label at the bottom). It had been like this for a bout 1 to 2 hours. Too used to two stroke outboards I guess.

The owners manual gives dire warnings of the damage that will have been done. I have done a quick check, and the engine oil level appears ok. There are traces of oil inside the cover but not a significant amount.

On the basis of this, and the fact that I haven't tried to start it so hopefully won't have done any damage, I'm planning to whip the plugs out and turn it over to check there is no oil in the cylinders, then just try starting it.

Does this sound ok, or is there anything else I should do / check (other than write THIS WAY UP in huge letters across the engine)?

Cheers

Chris
Old 15 April 2007, 20:03   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123 View Post
Well, I guess I'm not the first, but I still feel like a prize ******.

I went to unload my Suzuki DF9.9 4 stroke outboard out of the car, and realised I'd put it in the car on the 'wrong' side (ie with the 'this way up' label at the bottom). It had been like this for a bout 1 to 2 hours. Too used to two stroke outboards I guess.

The owners manual gives dire warnings of the damage that will have been done. I have done a quick check, and the engine oil level appears ok. There are traces of oil inside the cover but not a significant amount.

On the basis of this, and the fact that I haven't tried to start it so hopefully won't have done any damage, I'm planning to whip the plugs out and turn it over to check there is no oil in the cylinders, then just try starting it.

Does this sound ok, or is there anything else I should do / check (other than write THIS WAY UP in huge letters across the engine)?

Cheers

Chris
Chris - I have no experience with your particular engine (and therefore anything I say should be treated with caution) - but I have done the same myself on another small 4/ outboard - with no lasting damage. Your approach sounds right. Set engine up level (mine was hugely sensitive to this for getting oil level correct). Remove the kill cord. Check the fuel supply is off (if that is an option). Refil oil if required (actually if it is upright for a few hours most of the oil seemed to go back where it belonged). Then remove the plugs. Clean them (as they may have become fouled with oil). Leave them out. Gently turn over by hand several times (good idea to place a rag above the plug holes to catch any oil). Recheck oil level. Refit plugs. connect fuel and kill cord (and with leg in water or on muffs) give it a try - starting gently. May take several attempts to start. If it is difficult to turn over (requires more force than it used to) STOP remove plugs etc and repeat. Otherwise cross your fingers - and after a dozen tries (max) it should kick into life - will probably be a bit smokey to start with.

Hope that helps.

N
Old 16 April 2007, 19:07   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have the Suzuki DF15 - same engine as yours near enough. Whilst I have been very careful to lay the engine down on the correct side I suspect it doesn't make much of a difference when it has been bouncing around in the car boot for about 6 weeks!!! Mine would start up with a cloud of white smoke but then run fine. As long as you wait a few hours you should be ok. Good precaution to take the plugs out though!!!
Old 16 April 2007, 21:27   #4

Thanks both for your help.

If anything the oil level is slightly higher that it was, which is a bit worrying - I did wonder if some fuel could have leaked from the carb into the sump, but with the motor on the wrong side, the carb is at the bottom, so this seems unlikely.

I'll have a check this week and see how I get on.

Cheers

Chris
Old 17 April 2007, 09:57   #5

Town: boston
Boat name: Miss bad 61
Make: Crapko, AKA Mako
Length: 5m +
Engine: OMC Mod50
water tends to get up the exhaust when laid on the wrong side on them small small ones, if they sit to long it will stick.
Old 21 April 2007, 21:22   #6

Well, for the cost of a litre of oil, I decided to drop to drain and refill it - nothing nasty came out, so I proceeded with turning it over with the plugs out (again no oil came out).

After trying to start it a heap of times, with much coughing and spluttering (the outboard not me) it finally fired up. I had to idle with the choke on for quite a while, and it smoked like a two stroke, but it eventually settled down.

Cheers

Chris
Old 17 January 2014, 20:02   #7

Town: Winchburgh west Lothian
Boat name: Papa Bear V1
Make: Humber 5.3 Ataque
Length: 5m +
Engine: 40 Mercury four stro
RIBase
What is the correct side to lie a suzuki df2.5hp on?
Old 17 January 2014, 20:05   #8

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
This must be close to a Rib net record, resurrected after nearly 7 years !!!
Old 17 January 2014, 20:15   #9

Town: West Midlands
Boat name: Freespirit
Make: Redbay
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
Wow agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbypower View Post
This must be close to a Rib net record, resurrected after nearly 7 years !!!
I have a df4 and there are raised lugs on the engine cover for the side that you lay it down on and also a label saying basically this side up.

Mines a 2002 and I'm sure things should be better on the newer ones
Old 17 January 2014, 20:37   #10

Town: Big Bay, Awhitu
Make: Zodiac 3.8M. Mk2
Engine: 25N Yamaha
This could possibly be a helpful tip.
I have a price of 2x6 inch wood that I bolt my engine to when transporting off boat.
Like a false transom that can be strapped down.
Ive never had any problem.
Old 22 January 2014, 22:16   #11

Town: ...
Boat name: none
Make: Honwave 3.5-AE
Engine: Mariner 6hp
Throttle arm side down.There is also a little tab on that side of the case to protect it from being scratched