Old 22 January 2010, 13:00   #1

Town: Southampton
Boat name: no name yet
Make: Still building it..
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 hp
pull starting

Seen a bit on the forum now about pull starting an engine if the batteries go flat.

Well took the top off mine today and there is nowhere I could pull start the 50hp Hondas.

Is there some sort of extra item that I need to buy and fit so as I could hand pull start them?

Both 12 years old Honda bf 50 hp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220003.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	48814   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220004.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	48815   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1220005.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	48816  
Old 22 January 2010, 13:15   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
take the black plastic guards off the top it may be on the flywheel
Old 22 January 2010, 13:16   #3

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
Unscrew the big plastic lid over the top of the flywheel. Health & safety these days would rather you did that in an emergency than loose your fingers the other 100,000 times it starts on the starter......

Lids like that stared appearing in the early 80s - My '78 Yam didn't have one, but the Merc ('82ish) has a partial lid. My old Suz 25 (1993) was fully enclosed.
Old 22 January 2010, 13:17   #4

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
if you remove the plastic flywheel cover there should be some sort of a pully or groove on top of the flywheel with a cut out or a slot so that a length of rope with a knot on the end can be wrapped around ,perhaps 5/ 6 times ,,put the knot in the slot then wrap the rope around and pull ,,make sure though that the rope will fit into the grove and when it gets to the end of the pull over it will come away from the engine otherwise it could pull you back into engine when it starts,the rope will need a piece of wood to act as a handle on the other end from the knot ,,,,as you live in Durham area where do you launch from normally .
Old 22 January 2010, 15:54   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Not sure about your 50, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same as my old Honda 40. That came with a pull cord as part of the motor kit. As I recall, it was about 1/4" braided nylon rope, perhaps 3 to 4 feet long, with an overhand knot at one end. The other end had a 4" plastic handle.

Never tried using it, so can't tell you exactly how it works, but the other posters are correct in that you needed to dismantle the the guards to gain access to the flywheel.

Should be in the owners manual, available here:
http://marine.honda.com/Owners/Manuals/Models/BF50

jky
Old 22 January 2010, 15:57   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by m chappelow View Post
can be wrapped around ,perhaps 5/ 6 times

Yam 55 - 1.25 turns. Merc 60- 3/4 turn

Rememebr these are relatively big diameter flywheels compared to a Seagull! 5 laps and you'll have enough string to allow you to walk all the way to the bow before it lets go!

Go in short at first, and experiment with longer until you can pull it so it releases from the slot with you still standing on both feet. Start by putting the knot in the slot, and pull it round until you get compression in a cylinder. Then wind it into the groove from there. - If not you'll waste a lot of the pull moving pistons around with no comopression.

Alternatively check your manaul - a lot of them used to put the Emergency starter cord under the lid, which will obviously be the correct length! Edit - Jyaski can type faster than me!
Old 22 January 2010, 16:33   #7
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
I've wanted to experiment pull starting my engine but never have always found something better to do. Like watch redtube
Something I'm going to have to try.
Old 22 January 2010, 16:37   #8

Town: Plymouth
Make: Avon SR4,AX500
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 50 2 Stroke
And practice manual starting, although not too difficult i question how many people would be physically capable of pull starting an engine if the need ever arose?......And make sure you have the correct tools to remove the cover kept on the boat - i know someone that had the pull cord but not a spanner to remove the bolts and had to be towed in by a trawler.
Old 22 January 2010, 16:50   #9

and as i mentioned in another pullstart thread a few weeks ago ,,if you are always used to electric starting make sure there is no one right behind you when ,you pull it over ,,, you dont want to elbow and give the wife a black eye and knock out her front teeth ,,and check it wont start up in gear,, last thing you want is to fall back on your arse or have a man overboard situation if it does take off suddenly or you over balance , and as GIBBO50 just said make sure you can remove the bolts holding the cover and they are not rusted up ,,,,,ere 9d280 how do you know i am used to a seagull ,,lol
Old 22 January 2010, 18:03   #10

slot

Quote:
if you remove the plastic flywheel cover there should be some sort of a pully or groove on top of the flywheel with a cut out or a slot so that a length of rope with a knot on the end can be wrapped around ,perhaps 5/ 6 times ,,put the knot in the slot then wrap the rope around and pull ,,make sure though that the rope will fit into the grove and when it gets to the end of the pull over it will come away from the engine otherwise it could pull you back into engine when it starts,the rope will need a piece of wood to act as a handle on the other end from the knot ,,,,as you live in Durham area where do you launch from normally .
I will have a look see tomorrow and post a photo.

I launch from Hartlepool.
Old 22 January 2010, 18:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post
I will have a look see tomorrow and post a photo.

just across the bay then from me then , i am based over at teesmouth ,south gare 4 miles away ,,,,,yorkshire side , lol
Old 22 January 2010, 20:32   #12

fish

Quote:
just across the bay then from me then , i am based over at teesmouth ,south gare 4 miles away ,,,,,yorkshire side , lol
So do you fish from yours ?
We launch from the RYA yacht club in Hartlepool.

So where do you launch from is it safe parking for a 4x4 and trailer ?
Or is your boat stored there ?
Old 22 January 2010, 22:56   #13

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonar View Post

Probably best that I say nothing.

Gibbo500 I'm 58, fat, fkkd and not a third as strong as I was when I was 30, but I can still pull start most engines. Nasher whos a project manager weedy type bloke can pull start his 250hp e ngine but he is a lot younger than me!

So most people should be able to start an outboard on a cord. Its also a great excuse to get your girlfriend to take her tights off in an emergency.

The flywheel will have a notch in it for the pull cord to go in to, if you don't have a proper doobrey you can allways make your own up with a bit of rope and a dowel. remember to wind the rope around a couple of times and give it a good two handed tug ( ooh err mrs ..I'm begining to sound like JSP) and it should go Brmm brmm after about half an hour. Only jokeing practice once you've got the knack you'll get there in two or three pulls)

I'm doing some Jet boat training up your way around mid feb, I 'm putting some sea miles into an FRC driver, prior to him going for his yacht masters and we are going from Amble Marina to Staithes where we intend to throw stones at Chewy and then go on to Lowestoft, when he gets off and then I'm running the boat back to the South We can call in and check your progress if you want or help with you pulling technique........................Oh to be young and slim again. You can also have a drive of a 450 hp 8.4 jet boat if you want

cheers stu
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2010, 23:08   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Wave View Post
Probably best that I say nothing.

Gibbo500 I'm 58, fat, fkkd and not a third as strong as I was when I was 30, but I can still pull start most engines. Nasher whos a project manager weedy type bloke can pull start his 250hp e ngine but he is a lot younger than me!

So most people should be able to start an outboard on a cord. Its also a great excuse to get your girlfriend to take her tights off in an emergency.

The flywheel will have a notch in it for the pull cord to go in to, if you don't have a proper doobrey you can allways make your own up with a bit of rope and a dowel. remember to wind the rope around a couple of times and give it a good two handed tug ( ooh err mrs ..I'm begining to sound like JSP) and it should go Brmm brmm after about half an hour. Only jokeing practice once you've got the knack you'll get there in two or three pulls)

I'm doing some Jet boat training up your way around mid feb, I 'm putting some sea miles into an FRC driver, prior to him going for his yacht masters and we are going from Amble Marina to Staithes where we intend to throw stones at Chewy and then go on to Lowestoft, when he gets off and then I'm running the boat back to the South We can call in and check your progress if you want or help with you pulling technique........................Oh to be young and slim again. You can also have a drive of a 450 hp 8.4 jet boat if you want

cheers stu
Not far behind you age wise.
I have trouble just pulling my coat off .

But I am willing to have a go at pull starting the engine.
After i have been to the doctors for a letter to say i am in with a chance of starting it .
Old 22 January 2010, 23:14   #15

Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
It's about commitment not AGE

Youre as old as the woman you are feeling. which in my case is 57 for fkks sake don't let Roguetta know I told people how old she is, tey didn't call her the welterweight without cause
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2010, 13:21   #16

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Not sure about your 50, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the same as my old Honda 40. That came with a pull cord as part of the motor kit. As I recall, it was about 1/4" braided nylon rope, perhaps 3 to 4 feet long, with an overhand knot at one end. The other end had a 4" plastic handle.

Never tried using it, so can't tell you exactly how it works, but the other posters are correct in that you needed to dismantle the the guards to gain access to the flywheel.

Should be in the owners manual, available here:
http://marine.honda.com/Owners/Manuals/Models/BF50

jky
Many thanks for the link.
A few times now I have had to remove the plastic covers for one thing or another.
I would have thought there was a ridge in the flywheel for the pull cord.

No such luck.
However i have seen how to start it with a pull cord just wraps around the flywheel and has a small notch for the knot.

So i will have to make a couple of pulls cords for the toolbox.

Many thanks
Robert
Old 24 January 2010, 17:07   #17

Quote:

we are going from Amble Marina to Staithes where we intend to throw stones at Chewy and then go on to Lowestoft, when he gets off and then I'm running the boat back to the South We can call in and check your progress if you want or help with you pulling

i would be wary of throwing stones near Hartlepool lol ,,,dont forget ,, they hung a monkey just for getting shipwrecked there many years ago , they thought it may have been a french spy ,lol ,,,,, SONAR i have p/m you with the details of the club and slipway at south gare breakwater ,, regards to all mart
Old 25 January 2010, 19:41   #18

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Nasher whos a project manager weedy type bloke can pull start his 250hp e ngine but
Fook me! Did someone say spinach !! ke ke ke ke ... .. the last V6 150 I had the hood off, had a pull start cord on the inside and I thought yeah .. right !
Old 25 January 2010, 21:09   #19
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbo500 View Post
i know someone that had the pull cord but not a spanner to remove the bolts and had to be towed in by a trawler.
Prob a good idea to change over the cover bolts to what the 90s mariners had holding them down-plastic wingnuts.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 10:00   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
Fook me! Did someone say spinach !! ke ke ke ke ... .. the last V6 150 I had the hood off, had a pull start cord on the inside and I thought yeah .. right !
It;s all down to a combination of flyweheel diameter and compression. (Ok, and mybe a bit of how much red bull you drank for breakfast......)

Quote:
ere 9d280 how do you know i am used to a seagull ,,lol
Easy - anyone who has to wrap the cord round 5-6 times can only be starting a Seagull...