Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Propellor 21mm nut?

So I finally treated myself to a stainless steel propeller for my Tohatsu M60C. It fits like a glove, and rotates with absolute precision. A far cry from my previous aluminium props and hub kits. The Solas Saturn 13.25 x 17 has an integral rubber hub, 15 spline fit.

Only issue I have is space for the lock nut. Tohatsu use a castellated nut (part 353-64121-0) which from quick searches uses a 21mm socket fit.

The thrust washer goes on first, then the prop, then a stainless steel washer, then finally the castellated nut. Only trouble is, the hole on the prop shaft for the 3.2mm cotter pin won't line up.

With the prop nut torqued down, it lies absolutely flush with the top of the thread. I considered reducing the castellated nut access slots on the entry and exit points to line up with the hole, but realise it weakens the integrity of the nut.

So I'm looking for advise on sourcing a brass prop nut that will fit the thread. I can safely drill a hole through it for the cotter pin. Any suggestions?

One final thought. Could I reverse the castellated nut so the ridges face the prop, no drilling required, apply cotter pin an wrap ends around the nut?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	124551   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	124552   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	124553  
Old 03 May 2018, 06:43   #2

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
You want one of these washers. Bend the longer lugs up around the nut once torqued up ,,, https://propshopinc.com/mercury-prop...6234-p695.html

Pm me your address and I will send you one. I am surprised one wasn't included with the prop.

It may be this type I have but the same principle. Will check my parts dept later (shed) [emoji38]

https://goo.gl/images/FiknX9
Old 03 May 2018, 07:23   #3

Town: Isle of Lewis
Boat name: Macleod Special
Make: Ceasar Thundercat
Engine: Yamaha 70ces
RIBase
you can put the castle nut on back to front, works fine. Think I've got a couple of the nuts posted in the link above if you want one
Old 03 May 2018, 11:15   #4

RIBase
Thanks for kind offer Jeff.

The prop came with the star shaped washer (with folding tabs) as pictured. But on the box it mentions this is for props with hub kits.This prop has a fixed hub. Everything else should use washer and castellated nut. In addition - if I use this washer, then I'll need a nyloc brass nut, instead of castellated nut. I might even be able to dispense with existing stainless steel washer (which is deeper) and use this part, then castellated nut for belts and braces approach with cotter pin.

Don't want my new prop going to the depths of the briney!

Cheers for advice Roflhat. Was thinking the same regards reversing castellated nut.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fitting Kit.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	124557  
Old 03 May 2018, 13:21   #5

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Thanks for kind offer Jeff.

The prop came with the star shaped washer (with folding tabs) as pictured. But on the box it mentions this is for props with hub kits.This prop has a fixed hub. Everything else should use washer and castellated nut. In addition - if I use this washer, then I'll need a nyloc brass nut, instead of castellated nut. I might even be able to dispense with existing stainless steel washer (which is deeper) and use this part, then castellated nut for belts and braces approach with cotter pin.

Don't want my new prop going to the depths of the briney!

Cheers for advice Roflhat. Was thinking the same regards reversing castellated nut.
If you are are Easdale on Saturday I will bring a brass nut ,,,, if you want ;-)
Old 03 May 2018, 14:29   #6

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
If you are are Easdale on Saturday I will bring a brass nut ,,,, if you want ;-)
Not at Easdale. Heading out on Sunday from Cruden Bay or Rosehearty in search of wrecks. Have a good day when it comes