Town: Worcestershire
Boat name: Not Yet Named
Make: Avon SR 4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40 HP Yamaha Autolub
Propellers

Hi Guys

Looking for some advice on Props.

Having seriously damaged Topaz's prop on Sunday I am in need of a replacement.

The exisiting Prop was a Mercury Marine Quicksilver Stainless, and from the markings was a 20 inch - but I cannot find any markings re the Pitch etc.

This is now seriously 'chewed up' on all 3 blades, and needs repairing before I can use it again. (see picture below).

Fortunately I have a spare, which is one of the adjustable pitch varieties, which I think is currently set at 18 degress of pitch (as all 4 blades say 18 on them)

Jono also damaged his prop badly. His was an Ally Prop on his Yamaha 50 HP 4 Stroke.

The advice needed is:

Does anyone know of a good Prop repair service that does a good job without breaking the bank.

Secondly, where can we get a reasonably priced new Prop - and good advice to go with it

Lastly, can anyone recommend a suitable Prop for my Honda 130 to drive my Avon 620. Th old prop would only raise 5300 revs or so - when Honda say it should go to 6000 plus.

All advice welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	damage 4.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	542  
Old 02 April 2002, 20:52   #2

Another picture of the damage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	damage 5.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	543  
Old 02 April 2002, 20:59   #3

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
I have been quoted (for my yam 50hp 4 stroke)-

Stainless Steel - £380

Ally - £130 - £150

Plastic (changable blades @ £15 each) - £140

Any one got one they wanna flog me?
Old 02 April 2002, 21:10   #4

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Ouch!!!!!!!

Graeme/Jahno,

By the look of the damage you are very lucky not to have damaged the lower unit/gearbox .

I seem to remember reading somewhere else on this forum that the RNLI never use SS props for that reason but perhaps they do tend to ground them more than others. If you do a forum search for 'prop', there are quite a few usefull threads.

Dare we ask what caused the damage - for future reference you understand?

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 April 2002, 21:25   #5

My damage was something underwater - possibly an object like a Gas Cylinder, some of which had been seen floating around - more likely the sea bed.

It was an incredibly low tide that day, and off to the side could be seen lines of large smooth rocks that obviously mae up the sea bed around there.

The Port & Starboard markers were actually aground - and laid on their sde. The channel that was left was very narrow - probably less than 25 yards across.

However, it was quite a way after I thought I had cleared the worst of the problem - we had been down to just 3 foot on the depth gauge - that we hit - and hit hard.

Everything seemed to be working OK after the hit - forward / reverse etc - but I didnt get up to any speed as there was quite a lot of vibration on the engine.

I have fitted my spare 'composite' prop and all seems well - no vibration, gears engage OK.

I note the comment about the lifeboats and stainless props- may be something to consider.....
Old 02 April 2002, 22:23   #6

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Graeme - sorry to here the news - when did this happen? When you were trying to get back into the Cardiff bay Barrage? - What time was this - Spirit left at 12:30 - You see now why we were carefull of the tides and left early so we had plenty of water!!

We were wondering why you hadn't made an appearance at Flat Holme.

Pilgrim and Channel Spirit made it and we heard news that Dromedary had battle scars so we assumed you had returned to assist - I knew Jahno was looking for a prop - so wasn't suprised that he didn't make it to Flat Holme.

I tried talking to you on the radio, but your Tx seemed to cut out!

Anyway - Cath and I had a near miss too!!

PoB was at anchor and I had lowered TomKat into the water, but it was still supported by the crane. Cath and I got in, but just as I started the engine to take the strain of the 4-5 knt and release the hook, somebody let go of the bow rope and we swung beam against tide. As we were still attached to the crane we began to tip and nearly got flipped over!!

The current was so strong it was impossible to lower the crane as the current would imediately have taken up the slack - and with the hook lower there would have been even greater chance of flipping.

To release us I had to pull the TomKat against the tide, and with Cath holding the gate of the hook open quickly flip the ring off the hook - luckily on the second attempt we were free and safely upright again.

Thank god it was a RIB - any other type of boat and it would have flipped!!

Safe Ribbing
Old 02 April 2002, 23:09   #7

Town: Iver, Bucks, UK
Boat name: Prime Rib II
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 6m +
Engine: Mercruiser 1.7 diese
MMSI: 235086032
Graeme,

I think you will find that the 20 inches IS the pitch of your prop. If your spare is 18" then you should get the 6000 revs your looking for. My twin mariner 60's have 15 inch pitch props, which even with the twin set up is perhaps a little on the course side. I only get about 5,500 revs tops too. however, this IS within the recommended max range for my engines. (5,500 to 6000). The result is that I don't take off like a rocket, but at cruising speed, the revs are a little lower and therefore it uses less fuel. Sooner have it myself, unless you're planning to do a lot of water ski-ing.
Most men would be happy with 20" anyway!
(I believe the 20 inches refers to the theoretical distance the prop would travel in one revolution through a solid mass, which by the look of it, your prop tried to!)

By the way, did I tell you Prime Rib was for sale? Lots of info at it's very own website, http://www.myrib.co.uk
Old 03 April 2002, 00:18   #8

Town: Loch Lurgain
Boat name: an t-easnach
Make: Gemini
Engine: Honda 50
ouch and sympathy and all that. not much give in welsh rock. no advice graeme but a mate of mine ran aground last year and even though the prop wasn't as badly damaged as yours his brand new yam 50 engine was completely f***ed. it never started again. so it could've been worse mate.
Old 03 April 2002, 02:07   #9

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6.5
Engine: Honda 130
Graeme,

There is a Rib Dealer called Johnny Boys he trades as JBT marine. He had a load of 4 blade ally Honda props for 130's and I think he was selling them for around 130 pounds, they were boxed and new.

There is a good prop repair place in Southampton , I do not now the name but I'll go there tomorrow and get the details and forward them to you.

Jono

I noticed a couple of props on the ribs4sale classified ads that might suit your needs.

I am definitelt going to give the plastic blades a try the next time I stuff my prop

Regards
Old 03 April 2002, 05:25   #10

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Hi Graeme

Karen (eldest daughter) has just returned home for a few days. I was explaining to her about the Cardiff Barrage etc and how Topaz hit something, possibly the sea bed. She is spending a lot of time out in The Wash which also has a high tidal range and has many sand banks etc.

Karen tells me that the local fishermen and also her RIB pilot resort to a long stick rather than rely on a depth sounder. They have someone in the bow of the boat keeping watch and when the are getting in shallow water they prod the stick in front and proceed very slowly. Low tech, but reliable.

As you said at the time why the hell didn't the people on the barrage lock mention that there may be a problem with low tide levels?

I can remember thinking how shocked I was when we emerged from the lock that second time to see that the water had gone so far down and that where there was sea there were now massive mud banks. They could also have some buoys marking the deepest channel. They have after all spent £millions on the barrage and locks, what would a few extra buoys cost?

Keith (my head knows how your prop feels) Hart
Old 03 April 2002, 05:34   #11

Town: Pwllheli-North Wales
Boat name: V-ONE
Make: Highfield
Length: 8m +
Engine: Honda 250hp
Wavehumper

What site ? I cant find any props on www.ribsforsale.co.uk

cheers
Old 03 April 2002, 05:47   #12

Town: Bangor
Make: Shakespeare
Length: 7m +
Engine: O/b 225
Bad enough but I've seen worse! Anyway the best bet for SS prop repairs is Steel Developments Ltd. You will find them on www.steeldevelopments.co.uk. They can also change the pitch of the prop when repairing it!
Old 03 April 2002, 07:18   #13

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Graham
Try Propellor Revolutions, these guys are very good and won't rip you off. Trying to find the number, maybe someone else has it handy. Steel Developments are also very good and are the agents for Solas props. Have a look at http://www.solas.com[/URL] Solas are very good and are not as expensive as the brand-names.
Old 03 April 2002, 11:09   #14

Town: Upavon, Wiltshire
Boat name: Dromedary
Length: 6.55
Graeme/Jonno

I will be at Beaulieu boat jumble and am sure that you should get a good price for a prop there if you want to go, if not if you let me know the size you want and a guide price I will try to get you one, it is on 28 April

John
Old 03 April 2002, 12:58   #15

Town: SOUTHAMPTON
Boat name: Won't get Fooled Again
Length: 6.5
Jahno,

I.ve just checked it

It works for me, www,ribs4sale.com near the bottom of the page is a menu . click on classified and then there are 7 entries for props no's 012' 020' 031' 030' 025' 024 and 007 ad 020 is for 20inch

did you have an a frame for an Avon?

regards
Old 03 April 2002, 19:02   #16

Town: Salisbury
Graeme

stick with an ally replacement prop

lest costly than wrecking expensive gearing

steel developments are excellent, should cost around 25 quid to repair an ally prop if chipped

I have used them many times, also have a look at the 4 blade ally prop, gives excellent hole shot

I once removed all three blades completely on an ally prop by we think hitting the bottom whilst planning, no damage whatsoever to leg, doubt that would have been the case if it was a stainless one.
Old 03 April 2002, 19:22   #17

Town: Salisbury
Another solution ?

certainly looks the business

http://www.cal-nevamarine.com/index.htm

americans seem to be into these in a big way ;

http://floridaconservation.org/psm/prop/propguide.htm

Old 03 April 2002, 19:22   #18

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Okay then here is my bit.

Ally prop hits something and breaks.
Ally props are much cheaper.

Stainless steel props do not break very easily, therefore something else may break.
Stainless steel props are very expensive.

Compromise: Use an ally prop and cary one as a spare.

Surely it is better to sacrifice a cheap prop than to risk damage to the leg/engine?

Cheers

Keith (what the hell do I know) Hart
Old 03 April 2002, 22:25   #19

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Have you tried Streamlined Propellor Repairs in Aldershot ? Been a while since I used them but very good. A one man business that relies on word of mouth. So if his work isn't good enough he goes hungry. It is a devil of a place to find so probably best sending by post. Tel was 0252 316412 but that was before the codes changed. Give him a ring first. He repaired an Ali prop for me with a chunk the size of a 2p missing from one blade. Couldn't tell which blade had been repaired when it came back! Top bloke. Let us know how you get on.
Old 04 April 2002, 07:03   #20

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Chaps.... you cannot begin to compare an aluminium prop to a s/s one, barring the price. The correct s/s prop to match your boat is fundamental in it's performance, and can transform a boat! Everything begins and ends with the right propellor. Aly props are known to slip, cavitate and do all manner of things a s/s prop would not do. Purchase a decent s/s prop and keep an aly as a spare. Props are not a science anymore, more like an art!